1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demisexual?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mysteria, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm talking to someone online who says she's demisexual. I looked it up and it sounds a lot like me. I look at attractive men and women, and I notice they're attractive, but I can't just be sexually attracted to a stranger. There has to be some kind of relationship there first. I could never do a hookup, I don't think. Can you be both demisexual and bisexual? Doesn't everyone need to have some kind of connection first before being sexually attracted to someone? I just thought that was everyone.

2. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am well Pansexual not sure how close Demisexual is to that.

I love with all my heart and the gender of the person is not what puts me in that relationship or friendship I just love them for who they are.

3. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of people need time and that connection, but not all, so that’s just the label for it if you wish to use it.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be fair, "demisexual" is a common variation of human sexuality that doesn't require a label, as if it was a different orientation. In other words, sure, you can be a bisexual who requires an emotional connection with someone before feeling sexual attraction.

Some labels are important, so we can organize ourselves to fight for our rights and protect our community (the LGBT labels are a clear example of that). They can also assist us in communicating with each other. If you say you are "gay", for example, most people will understand you are interested in people of the same sex as you, so it makes communication simple.

However, there are many labels which are created without any scientific support, which describe common variations of human sexuality, and, in truth, accomplish nothing but to separate people into unecessary boxes. In my point of view, labels should be to describe your sexuality in a general way, without specifics. For example, I can say "I'm bisexual, and I prefer men, but I also like women. I like effeminate men, with black hair, who are shorter than me" and so on. I don't need a label to say I prefer men who are like this and that (especially since no one would understand that label and I would need to explain it anyway, so the label wouldn't assist me in talking to other people!).

If we had a label to describe every tiny difference in human sexuality, we would have a different label for each person on Earth, since we are all unique and we all experience sexuality and orientation a little different than others.

Of course, you are free to disagree with me and use whatever label you want. However, I think some labels only complicates things, and are unecessary, since they describe something that is so common that doesn't require a special word to be described.

5. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's kind of what I was thinking. That's why I asked about it, because I didn't think it was all that uncommon, and I wasn't sure if it was a label that was really clarifying things.