1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time at a gay bar advice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NotQuiteANerd97, Jul 25, 2019.

1. NotQuiteANerd97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bi guy here. I just got out of a long-term hetero relationship (sexuality had nothing to do with it ending), and one thing I’ve been curious about well before being with her is gay bars. Initially I thought they were outdated due to certain apps being popular. That being said, my experience on said apps hasn’t really been the greatest. In fact, I met every guy I’ve had sex with online. That’s fine, but I wanna explore other avenues.

I did some research and I have my sights set on one of the cozier, more old school tavern like places as opposed to the stereotypical nightclubby places. I prefer being able to hear people talk. If any of you are in Phoenix too, perhaps I can mention it by name and see what you know about it.

I’m curious as to what it’s like, and I have a few questions.

1. Are gay bars generally bi-friendly? I’m sure the owners of the place would say so, but if the clientele often isn’t then I’m hesitant.
    2. Since young guys rely increasingly on apps, would I stick out as the only 22 year old there?
    3. Is there typically a dress code? It’s ridiculously hot outside so I’m thinking of khaki shorts and a short sleeve button down shirt, and possibly leaving the shirt unbuttoned to show off some skin. Would that be allowed?
    4. Any etiquette I should know about flirting/hooking up at a place like this?

#1 NotQuiteANerd97, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. C06122014

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from Phoenix and I have only ever been to two gay clubs. I don't know if I'm allowed to mention it by name so the one with tacos, and another near central phoenix closer to the warehouse district. Both were fun for a while, both were bars. I went to the latter every weekend for two months last year. I went back not too long ago and it was awful! I honestly think these "clubs" were just not that fun. I go to the gay bar on Roosevelt row occasionally, they don't have a dress code as far as I know? I have never had any issues. I have never been there alone, also as far as "sticking out like a sore thumb" because of your age, downtown I don't think that would be an issue.

Have fun! Keep us posted on if you find a place you love!

3. NotQuiteANerd97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you familiar with the one on Van Buren?

4. C06122014

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know of it, and knew a friend who went every so often but I’ve never been? I do know it’s an older place (compared to some of the other queer spots) in town though. Quick google search shows it was opened in 1971!

They don’t have a functioning website which is kind of frustrating. I did find a new Times article I would check for though. It might offer good insight into the crowd, and if it’s for you.

5. NotQuiteANerd97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I checked it out. It was a super cozy, chill environment which I liked. I ended up talking to one guy which was nice but he wasn’t my type. I was probably the youngest one there, but there was plenty of variety as far as age goes. Just not a whole lot of twentysomethings like me. So yeah, I dunno how good the odds would be of me finding a partner here. I’m tempted to check out places that would have more young guys but again, not a big fan of nightclubs. Overall it was a good experience and I’d go back if the mood strikes. It was like exploring a piece of gay history, which I liked.

6. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope you get out and explore more I am Bi also and enjoy going to gay bars

7. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't accept a drink from anyone, especially an older guy.

And if you buy your own drink, don't leave it alone.

8. C06122014

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m glad you had fun! I think the one near Roosevelt and central gets pretty full on the weekends but I’ve found that it’s a fun place to be during the day. It does serve a much younger crowd. It’s a bar though not so much a “nightclub”

#8 C06122014, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019