1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic (ish?) best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lenalolli, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Lenalolli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm currently a mostly closeted lesbian (only out on ec) but I'm thinking about coming out soon. I live in a very liberal state and my parents are very supportive of the lgbtq community which I'm so grateful for, but I've managed to become best friends with possibly the only extreme conservatives in my whole town. My best friend who I've known for a couple of years things lesbian couples are gross and that it's wrong that a man isn't enough to satisfy them, it's not what God wants, etc. I've faked interest in a few guys go throw her off the trail, but I think she is starting to suspect the truth and I really don't want to lose her. What do I do?

2. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would deal with your family first. From what you've said, it sounds like they will be fine with you coming out, and then after you've all settled with the news, ask them how they think you should deal with your friend. Your family are the ones who will have your back if things do go badly with your friendships.

If you do end up losing your friendship with this girl, that's on her, not you. You're just choosing to be honest.

Lenalolli likes this.