1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have anxiety

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Geek, Jun 8, 2019.

?

Are you closeted and do you have anxiety?

1. I'm closeted, and have an anxiety disorder or just an anxious person

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. I'm closeted, and don't have anxieties in other areas

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. I'm closeted, and don't have anxiety, but am closed to prevent harm towards myself

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. I'm out, and have anxiety

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  5. I'm out, and do not have anxiety

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thought i'd do a quick poll and not sure where to post it. It seems to me that many people who are closeted also suffer from anxiety in other aspects (perhaps generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), social anxiety, undiagnosed but often anxious. etc.). So the poll... Are you out, and if so, do you have anxiety? When I say "out" I mean fully out to the general public and or your friends and family. Also for those with anxiety that are out, what made you come out of your shell and come out?

To answer the question: I have G.A.D. and am only out to family.

Note: I understand this can be a sensitive topic, therefore I have unchecked "Display votes publicly"

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have generalized anxiety disorder as well as a few other mental health issues as well. My anxiety in an odd way helped me to come out, I had an anxiety attack one night and I just decided to tell a lot of people that I am trans. Thankfully, that went well.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 80% out (pretty much as out as I want) and have anxiety. While coming out can be scary enough on its own, anxiety definitely makes it harder.

Similar. Closeted life and anxiety are tough. Then a few shitty situations in a short time span were enough to send me over the edge lol. My mental health was bad enough that I felt like I didn't have anything to lose

4. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Out to few people, came out to my parents but they pretended it never happened. I'm an anxious person, and more sensitive than most people. My anxiety hasn't reached the level of being severe yet, hope it never will because my life is dull already. I feel like I have to come out to be more at ease, but who knows what consequences it can make.

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have had anxiety issues, not so much related to being closeted anymore as just a general anxiety probably partially related to my Asperger's Syndrome. It got really bad last summer and that is when I finally talked to my doctor about my anxiety and depression, and he put me on a prescription anti-depressant, which has helped a lot, but there is still some there.

6. Xirahii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have anxiety, although I feel Im okay at managing it sometimes. This is with me being out to most my friends and one of my parents.

Tbh though I feel half of my anxiety is unrelated to my gender/sexuality and more related to general life stuff, but when anxiety strikes me that IS part of my sexuality it hits twice as hard.

Similar to Brad, anxiety has been both an enemy and a friend, because it has helped me bite the bullet and come out to people.

7. gayfish96

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Persistent Depressive Disorder, using Prozac. Probably autistic/Asperger's.

I don't know when I came out. I think it might have happened when I got into conflicts with other boys growing up. Also, my gay uncle caught me with a wallpaper of a hot guy in a Speedo on my laptop.

8. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been out for 4 years and do have anxiety. Before I came out a lot of that anxiety surrounded things like my transition or sexuality, but now it is more generalized to other areas of my life.

9. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have GAD and bipolar disorder, and I'm only out to a few people. I'm beginning to suspect it is related, that things would be better if i wasn't
    closeted

10. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 100% out but anxiety kept me in for 10+ years. Now my anxiety has found other targets

11. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It may be a little odd, but anxiety is something new to me - I've always been super confident. But being closeted for such a long time made me start t doubting certain things about myself. Now I suffer also with depression. But, in general, I'm only anxious when it comes to my sexuality. All other areas in my life are fine regarding anxiety.

12. Aubrey97

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! Thought I’d share my experience with this, since it’s one that was extremely anxiety filled and ended, well, slightly positively. All my life I had known I was a lesbian. I had never had a sleepover after age ten because I was scared someone would just know I was gay. I had crushes on teammates on sports, every time a girl was masculine dressed I loved it, but I couldn’t just say it. I was terrified of being “gay” in a small town. Slowly I began seeing women and dating them, very discreetly in high school. My anxiety around being found out was at an all time high. I wouldn’t park my car at my them girlfriends house, I wouldn’t even sit directly next to her in a movie, because my fear was so immense. My brother had been speculating that I was gay for a while, and confronted me. I lied and saved face for a while, but I was outed by a friend of my parents. They accepted me after a bit of discussion and time most of all they were hurt I kept this huge part of me from them. I slowly came out to my friends, losing some and gaining some new ones along the way, as all LGBT+ people do at some point. But looking back, had I just come out my relationship would have been so much more enjoyable, and my life would’ve been as well. Hiding everything and staying in the closet for so long took so much from my relationship not only with my girlfriend but with myself, my parents and my brother as well. Obviously I had a somewhat positive outcome other than my experience with being outed, but I would’ve saved everyone pain had I just been truthful about who I am. Sorry this became a novel, but maybe one person will read it and come out before it become a “thing” like mine did.

13. Aubrey97

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! Thought I’d share my experience with this, since it’s one that was extremely anxiety filled and ended, well, slightly positively. All my life I had known I was a lesbian. I had never had a sleepover after age ten because I was scared someone would just know I was gay. I had crushes on teammates on sports, every time a girl was masculine dressed I loved it, but I couldn’t just say it. I was terrified of being “gay” in a small town. Slowly I began seeing women and dating them, very discreetly in high school. My anxiety around being found out was at an all time high. I wouldn’t park my car at my them girlfriends house, I wouldn’t even sit directly next to her in a movie, because my fear was so immense. My brother had been speculating that I was gay for a while, and confronted me. I lied and saved face for a while, but I was outed by a friend of my parents. They accepted me after a bit of discussion and time most of all they were hurt I kept this huge part of me from them. I slowly came out to my friends, losing some and gaining some new ones along the way, as all LGBT+ people do at some point. But looking back, had I just come out my relationship would have been so much more enjoyable, and my life would’ve been as well. Hiding everything and staying in the closet for so long took so much from my relationship not only with my girlfriend but with myself, my parents and my brother as well. Obviously I had a somewhat positive outcome other than my experience with being outed, but I would’ve saved everyone pain had I just been truthful about who I am.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My anxiety has anxiety

15. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a mild anxiety. While It doesn't hinder my normal activities, I worry too much about things in general. Therapy has been a huge help to me, thankfully.

16. Writer8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To say I have anxiety would be an understatement (haha). I'm really insecure: this insecurity manifests itself in random ways. Sometimes I choose to focus on my sexuality, sometimes it's something else. I'm taking anti-depressants and doing cognitive therapy. This helps, but it's still a struggle.

17. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m out only for about three years. From my mid teens to sixth I’ve been firmly in the closet and suffering from crippling social anxiety.
    Now that I’m fully out I don’t suffer from anxiety anymore. The thing that stops me are habits I have developed over a lifetime of hiding myself.
    Yes, I do have to take a deep breath before taking to someone at a party but I am not terrified in the way I was.
    The joy of not having to watch every thing I said and did is amazing.

18. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a lot of anxiety from an anxiety disorder. I'm out to my family, close friends, therapist, and mentor. I am still closeted to my psychiatrist, case manager, some less close friends, and the general public. I feel like my psychiatrist and case manager should really know but they are both very religious so I don't see that going well. I'm not dating anyone right now so there's not really a need for the general public to know. I will tell my less close friends in time.

19. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that

20. MRMitch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do suffer from anxiety, Im always uncomfortable around people, find it hard to communicate, and feel like I dont fit in anywhere, which leaves me with a lot of insecurities. I am taking medication for it, but I dont feel any different. Im not out at all and I've never spoken to anyone about my sexuality. Im hopeful that once Im open and honest with myself and others I can be the person I truly want to be.