1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a few more "elements" to understanding my mom.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Jun 17, 2019.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've browsed the article about The Lavender Scare which airs tomorrow night (18 June) on
    PBS. I've studied how Eisenhower signed Executive Order 10450, banning gays from working in the federal government.

This is the world, 40s, 50s, 60s, my mom parented me in. All this can be summarized in two words. Ignorance and fear. My mom had to be ignorant about homosexuality, as most people in that period of time must have been. And she must have feared for my well being. These two elements, (ignorance & fear) aside from her strict Christian upbringing, tell much about her reaction to me.. (she is deceased so I can't ask her)

She must have asked herself, "is my son gay?" She must have "mental blocked" that possibility and charged full steam ahead, find my son a female mate.

http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/the-lavender-scare-premieres-tuesday-june-18-on-pbs/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_10450

#1 brainwashed, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. YaTee121

Regular Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    While driving around listening to Ani DiFranco with my mother-in-law beside me in the car, driving past rainbow flag and crosswalk after rainbow flag and crosswalk (I live in a very gay town) my mother-in-law, who grew up in the same time period as your mother asked, “is she singing about being with a woman? I hate that. It really bothers me.” So I said. “Well, it doesn’t bother me! I have lots of female friends that have been with women and I fucking LOVE Ani,” to which she replied, “ oh well different generations.” But my grandmother, who is 89, always welcomed everyone into her home. The question was never about your orientation or skin color or gender. It was always about whether or not you’re a well intentioned and hardworking person who will not make her regret letting you into her home. I get societal pressures and all that, but I’m of the camp that, just like love is love, hate is hate. If you can’t look beyond the messages you’re being fed by a very sick society, that says something about your character. Period. Sorry my answer isn’t more comforting. I’m cynical.