1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really nervous tonight

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by quebec, Jul 8, 2019.

1. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tomorrow at 7 am I will be lying on an operating table unconscious as the orthopedic surgeon proceeds to cut open my right hip and replace the entire joint. I've had 20 significant surgeries in my life so this should be old hat, but that won't be the case. I've gotten worse each time I've had to experience this. Don't get me wrong...I'm very glad that we have modern medicine otherwise I would have long ago been relegated to a wheelchair. I spent a full year in the hospital when I was 5 years old and the experience has left its mark. There a few things like needles that can cause me to pass out and I have no control whatsoever over the experience. I am confident that the surgery will go well but I nonetheless tend to have a panic attack if I think too much about it. My family doctor has given me some meds to take in the morning to help with the anxiety...bless him! I also spent time talking with the anesthesiologist who was very helpful and will also contribute some anti-anxiety meds prior to the surgery. Still...I expect little sleep tonight. I would really appreciate your thoughts/prayers/etc. as I go through this...After all...you are my wonderful LGBTQ Family who have helped and supported me through the last five years as I've come to accept and finally love myself. I won't be getting back to you about how the surgery went for a couple of days, but as soon as I can I will give you an update. Empty closets has been my rock ever since December 2014 when I came out here. I can't think of anyone else who I'd like more to be by my side when I wake up...if only it were possible! So Thank You in advance and I check back with you on Wednesday or Thursday.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

2. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey David, I have had six major surgeries, you will be fine. Don't let the things in the past worry you tonight. I know it is hard not to but think about all the good times you have had in your life. Think about how free you have become since you have found your family here at EC. Think about all the advice you have given to the people that have just recently found this site and how you have changed their lives. Get it done, get well so you can continue to teach us all!

Dean

3. Ladybird12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi David, I'm new here, but your post and it sounds like me. The more surgeries, needles etc I have the worse I have become. Your doctor and Anethetist sound ace. Mine has started prescribing me anti anxiety meds for vaccinations etc and it really works!

Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you!

4. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am thinking of you and sending my warmest wishes.

5. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thinking of you David as you prep this morning for the procedure. Sending best wishes and prayers your way!

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all! Now off to the hospital!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: