1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can people be "too nice" sometimes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Devil Dave, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you ever known someone to be overly nice to you? And I don't mean in a creepy, sleazy way involving lots of physical contact, but I mean when someone keeps complimenting you and talking highly of you, to the point that you get fed up with it and wish they'd go away and find someone else to fawn over, or just treat you like you are an ordinary person and not someone special.

There have been times when I've felt uncomfortable with the amount of praise I've received from certain people. I'm not sure what causes the discomfort, maybe because I always used to be worried about people thinking badly of me, so I would avoid attention. And so when someone is giving me attention because they have positive thoughts about me, it still makes me feel awkward.

Then again, I have acted overly nice towards certain people, and I know my reasons for that. I've had enough unpleasant encounters, some of them people I had to bite my tongue around and not tell them what I really think of them, and so when I meet someone who i really do like, I want to be nice to them, because it feels good to want to be genuinely nice to someone. And then I've been shrugged off by these people, because it seems they don't know how to react to someone being overly nice to them, either.

Maybe it's because when it comes to connecting with people, we want them to be friends and equals to us, and not fans? People I normally admire and look up to are artists and musicians and actors who's work I enjoy. These are not people I'm likely to spend time with in person, and so I'm never going to react to them like they are normal people, even if I do bump into them at a convention or something.

But meeting someone in an ordinary every, day situation who acts so nicely towards you that it almost seems like they're being subserviant and putting you on a pedestal when they don't need to, can be offputting.

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it kind of depends on what you are used too. A good friend of mine did seem that he was overly nice to everyone until I spent more time with him. You get so used to most people rarely complementing someone or always pointing out the negatives that when someone does the opposite, it is kind of jarring for a lack of a better term.

I try and be more positive because of my friend because some days my own head is my worst enemy and being cheerful and nice helps get out of bad headspace.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah some people just can’t say the word “no” and they get stepped on.

Then there’s people who are super perky and act like they’re totally nice. Until there not.

4. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's like we're always prepared for negativity from people. We meet a negative person and our instinct is to stand our ground and tell them where to go, then we tell our friends about our encounter with this unpleasant person and boast about how we dealt with them and make a bunch of jokes and comments about what else we could have said and it makes us feel better because we're slagging someone off who annoyed us.

But we probably don't spend nearly as much time talking about a passer by who was polite and friendly to us. If someone smiles sweetly it gives us no reason to bitch and make nasty comments. It seems like negativity gains more attention.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Negativity generally does get more attention, especially in the US since bad news is about the only news anyone reports on.

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like I'm sort of the opposite. I notice the positive stuff and the negative I tend to just disregard. It makes me think maybe I'm one of those people that's "too nice". I wouldn't think so. I mean I actually think of myself as rather jaded and I'm certainly not a fan of "perky" but I still wonder. Oh well...

7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speaking of negative people getting more attention, I went to a local pub last night (for the first time in ages because I very rarey drink in my local pubs) and there was a musician there playing live music, and hardly anyone was paying any attention to him. Then a couple of young guys started squaring off right in front of the stage over some petty argument, and the bouncer came over to keep an eye on them, and some of their friends started gathering around to try to diffuse the situation. The whole floor was crowded until the guys finally moved outside, then the pub was practically empty while the musician carried on his performance. I felt really bad for the musician because he was a brilliant singer and guitarist and he was there to share his talent and give everyone a good evening, and it was the two drunken louts who got all the attention.

I'm going off my own topic here, but it does suck when people choose conflict over a relaxing Saturday night out.

8. JordanJB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if I'm going to be honest I don't like human beings at all I never felt at a all attached to any of them, humans as whole are the most selfish animals on earth and I might sound selfish myself or hypocritical but that's what humans are all about evil and greedy money inclined and because of that I always think anyone who acts nice wants something in return because no matter what you do there is no pleasing anyone and that's why I'm not a nice person anymore or never was because I am sick of people thinking they can walk all over me I'm just not having any of that I'm just toughened to it and don't feel for no one no more enough is enough