1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closeted and Conflicted

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by NoahRyan, Jul 4, 2019.

1. NoahRyan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, just found out about this website. Really great place :slight_smile: Hoping I can grow on here and become comfortable with myself.
    Very closeted and approaching the point of depression, which is why I felt the need to come to the safety of an online forum like this.
    My brother came out as gay 2 years ago, and it sorta crushed me. Happy for him, but at the moment I felt like he took the "gay son" spot, and now everyone expects that have to be straight. From then up until a couple months ago I just thought it'd be a phase, which is probably horrible to say, but now I just want to be happy. I have no idea what I'm going to do : /
    Most of the people he has told have been incredibly loving and supportive, including our parents, but I just can't get up the courage to tell anyone. I feel like it would crush my mom because she has these big ideas about our lives, and one of her 2 children has already strayed from her fantasies.
    Anyways, I'm on here to seek advice and acceptance. Coming out with a fake name online to strangers still feels like a huge step for me, so at least there's that :slight_smile:

2. maddie07

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey!! that's totally okay!! I understand how you feel! idk if I can tell you ways to come out because my mom kinda found out when she caught me making out with another girl...i think you just need more confidence. I understand how your mom would feel that way, but you coming out as gay to her would take out the "straight" fantasies and fill her head with new ones. I'm sure your peers just want what's best for you and wouldn't mind you being gay. I suggest talking to your brother, he might be able to help. you don't have to come out to him directly, but ask questions like "how did you feel comfortable coming out?" "was it hard for you to come out?" "how did you get enough confidence to come out to everyone?" etc. learn about his side of his journey. I hope this helped and I hope you can come out soon!! I wish you the best, fighting!

3. NoahRyan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you Maddie :slight_smile:

4. Diogenes

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome! I come from a similar situation, my older sister came out as bi and I had a hard time. If you haven’t already, you should consider coming out to your brother. It’s tough being alone, having someone to confide in(especially family) can lower stress. It sounds like your family loves you and would accept you regardless of any ideas or fantasies about your future.