1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Narcissistic ex?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Peterpangirl, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anyone else recognise retrospectively that their ex had some noticeable narcissistic traits? Has anyone else found it hard to move on from their relationship due to the manner in which they were dumped? Does anyone else struggle with feelings of anger and loss? I have really struggled to put my mixed up feelings to bed. I feel like a recovering drug addict....

#1 Peterpangirl, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  2. Kmermaid00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in an emotionally and financially abusive relationship and I'm currently getting a divorce from him. I definitely struggle with anger and loss. I'm angry he wasn't there for me when i had my stroke. I'm angry how he treats me. I'm at loss for losing 14 years with him. I know it was a terribly unhealthy relationship but I still have many different emotions over it. On the dumping thing now looking back after a year of the process getting a divorce I wished he would have dumped me sooner. I could already had someone else in my life to love me through all these health issues.

Peterpangirl likes this.
  3. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it’s only natural to have feelings of loss as we transition. Over time we develop feelings for people we are involved with. When those intimate relationship cease its only human to feel a sense of loss. We are in many ways losing a way of life we were at least comfortable with to be replaced with a very different lifestyle. Just that alone will cause a sense of loss along with anger directed towards ourselves and in many cases our partners. The anger directed at our exes may very well our compensating for anger we have towards ourselves for not figuring out our sexuality sooner.

#3 Contented, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am referring to my first homosexual relationship. I adored her and she devalued me increasingly and was vicious at the end yet intermittently nice. I feel like a complete j**k for falling for her so completely and forgiving her. My ex longterm male partner is not like this. He has his flaws, but he is certainly not narcissistic!

#4 Peterpangirl, Jul 5, 2019
  5. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. And I understand your anger. When I needed her most she bailed on me at the worst possible time and made me feel like I was mentally unstable: I am not, but I was suffering a breakdown. The feeling of betrayal is huge, isn't it? I understand she is only communicating with her husband through their solicitors and racking up huge bills. At the time I was with her I thought she was the unreasonable party, now I am not so sure.

By the way did he once make you feel like the mist desirable woman in the world? She made me feel so sexy and intelligent initially, then started to chip away at my fashion sense and tell me I was too deep etc etc...but it happened over several months and I always welcomed her back into my arms and was the giver in the sexual relationship.

#5 Peterpangirl, Jul 5, 2019
  6. Kmermaid00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. When we started couples therapy he said he didn't love me at all but I was the only one he wanted to be with sexually. Before the breakup he didn't want anyone but me is what he always said. Now I can see how he was controlling me even when it came to sex.

7. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Missed that, I understand that it would suck to have that happen. I don’t understand why people act that way. If you care for someone why would you intentionally hurt that person. I also understand falling deeply for someone. It happened to me with my BF. Luckily for me we have been together almost 2 years. Never could have imagined the depth of feelings I could have for another man.

8. sparki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Playlist for @Peterpangirl

Games People Play - Alan Parsons Project
    You’re So Vain - Carly Simon
    Big Girls Cry - Sia
    Wide Awake - Katy Perry
    I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

Music helps me heal. I hope that these songs will help you process what you are experiencing and give you a measure of comfort and strength.

beenthrdonetht and Peterpangirl like this.
  9. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you Sparki. It is hard when you begin to see that what you thought was real was really only an illusion of love, and that you actually really only loved alone, whereas the other person only really loved how you made them feel. And that this meant that when you were struggling, they dropped you like a hot brick with the unkindest words they could've used.

#9 Peterpangirl, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Emmareld and Kmermaid00 like this.
  10. Kmermaid00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. So much this!

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you considered having a few sessions with a therapist?

12. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have considered it and I did actually have a few sessions with a therapist after we broke up in December. I have struggled to accept that what she said I was to her was not what I actually was to her. I have struggled to rebuild my confidence that I can love again and trust another.
    I have been forming the words to write her a letter - because I have only just accepted what she was. Until now I didn't fully accept that she is an emotionally abusive person. She claimed that she loved me even after she discarded me and right up until she found a new lover, but love is always founded on mutual respect for the other person. Love doesn't belittle. It doesn't undermine another person's reality. It doesn't attempt to control another person and become impatient and angry when one makes very difficult decisions in one's own time. It doesn't resent that one values others' opinions, including those of genuine friends and family. It doesn't accuse a person of having an undiagnosed or undisclosed psychiatric disorder, then worry that one is an embarrassment in front of family at the theatre afterwards - because one is trembling and tear stained following that verbal assault. And love doesn't "make love to" a broken person 3 weeks later and look intently into her eyes whilst doing that telling her "I love you but I cannot commit to you". I feel such a fool for having ever believed that I was loved... initially she gave me compliments, gifts and jewellery and dresses and I fell for her, hook, line and sinker.

#12 Peterpangirl, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  13. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All that says is that you are human with feelings seeking a connection with someone that is deep and significant. Aren’t we all gay, straight, bi or whatever looking for the same?
    Sure we sometimes do foolish things in the name of love but again that’s what makes us human and not analytical robots. You are being too hard on yourself! Relax, take a deep breath, this too shall pass. No doubt at some point you will find the woman that makes it all come true for you. Ease up on yourself.

#13 Contented, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Peterpangirl likes this.
  14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is she has issues and in her mind she probably believes what she felt for you is love. So I don't necessarily think she was lying to you she probably doesn't realise she is manipulating and abusive. I'm not saying that because it makes it ok or because it makes it less hurtful just that you shouldn't blame yourself for falling for it. There are always signs but they start off so small and then by the time they are bigger we are caught up in it all and are already believing maybe they are right. You will get back to a good place where you can trust and love. I know it seems like a long time since you broke up but in the grand scheme of things it hasn't been that long.

15. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lots of truth here. Thoughtful as always, Silverhalo. The fact that she used phrases like "I have destroyed you" and "You know the ugly truth" after the events does make me wonder though.

16. sparki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am so sorry you experienced that. Some things are not okay. Process the pain and the hurt so you can one day open your heart to another. You have recognized something very important in your journey of life and love.

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well perhaps I am just wanting to see the good in her. You shouldn't blame yourself though of that I'm sure.
    I'm intrigued. When she say "I have destroyed you" was she remorseful or powerful or I dont know.

#17 silverhalo, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  18. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to hope she was remorseful... But via What's App who knows? I think she was ashamed of the way she had behaved - the last time I ever saw her and we made love post break up in a hotek in the middle of the day (yes I know I am crazy) she kissed me and kissed me all over my face and lips as we parted. She promised to be there for me but of course she hasn't honoured that promise. It was the same place we had very first met - a car park in a pretty town approximately midway between our homes - the place where I had kissed her first when she had trembled with fear. She lives about 2 hours 20 minutes drive from me and now she is dating someone a good 4 hours drive from her. Apparently it is goid nut not ideal due to distance. Lesbian relationships suck.

#18 Peterpangirl, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow no wonder you have a lot to work through.

I promise that not all lesbian relationships suck.

20. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your continued support, Silverhalo. Such strong emotions - anger and sadness - it comes and goes. Yesterday was a good day but this evening I am struggling with my emotions again.