1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat spaying- does the cat change?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SelflessSellout, Apr 24, 2019.

1. SelflessSellout

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family recently got a cat, and we love her to bits. Downside is that the adoption place didn't spay her beforehand and we have to take her to the vet. We're very against spaying, especially for her because we live in an apartment and she'd be an indoor cat. We still have to do it since it's part of the deal.

Anyways, I've never seen first hand how much a cat changes after getting spayed. I know they need time to heal, but personality wise, do they change drastically? Or are any noticable changes in attitude? I heard they're less violent or something but I just want to be ready.

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please have your pets fixed.

I've had dozens of cats in my life (that's not hyperbole, when I was a kid, we lived in the country and had a couple dozen cats because we couldn't afford to take them to the vet to get them fixed and they kept breeding). I've never known a cat to have any significant personality change after being spayed. They can be quieter, because they don't go into heat and yowl for a mate. She can--and will--attract every intact male cat in the area, whether she lives in an apartment or not.

Unless you want to establish yourself as a breeder for a particular breed of cats, there's no reason not to have your cat spayed. What if she gets out one day? What if down the road, you can't keep her for some reason and you have to find her another home? Shelters are filled with unwanted cats and getting cats fixed is the best way to prevent adding to that. There's no harm in it.

Spartan 117 and Hawk like this.
  3. Loves books

We had numerous feral cats living around the outside of our house because my mother kept feeding them and they kept breeding. We are now down to one. There was two but we haven’t seen the other in months. We have seen a Tom cat around which I haven’t seen before. Get your cat fixed. Tom cats will sometimes kill newborn kittens to get the mother back in to heat. The noises from cats in heat is unbelievable. We usually hear what sounds scarily like a young child crying but the recent noises have no equal but they don’t sound like regular cat noises. We live in the countryside and we have a dog who sleeps in the house so it’s definitely the cat. We had a power cut in the early hours of yesterday morning and pairing flickering lights eventually plunging in to pitch black, with the noises from outside it was like being in a horror movie. I felt ten seconds away from being murdered by a fictional creature. Or attacked by a spider. I’m scared of the dark.

4. SelflessSellout

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sorry I haven't responded. At the time of the post it was already set that she'd get spayed, I was just wondering if there were any emotional/personality changes because I've never been through a cat getting spayed before.
    Everything's fine now, she got spayed and she's happy :slight_smile:

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay! Pleased to hear it. I’m also somewhat of cat expert- but I can’t really add to what the others have already written.

Basically, her personality shouldn’t change - if anything she’ll be a lot more relaxed without that crazy drive to mate. Female cats, in my experience, aren’t quite as soppy as male cats and they do like their alone time as they get older. I don’t think that’s anything to do with getting spayed though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

SelflessSellout likes this.