1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vulnerability...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by I'mStillStanding, Mar 2, 2019.

1. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Took some time to read over this thread (and what I’ve posted in Guilt...), after getting past the crazy grammatical errors (hazard of using a phone) I gotta say it’s been a crazy couple of months. There are a few things I could have, maybe even should have done differently, but all in all I am thankful for this thread. It really did help me get over the walls and figure out how to start letting people in. It really did give me a chance to explore emotions from my past and vent them. It also ended up showing me that you don’t always get what you expect or even maybe are looking for when you’re open. That’s ok too!

I had a moment of doubt and I’m sure there’s gonna be more. I doubted if this was worth it... sharing all of this, going through the process that brought up stuff I’d rather left in the past, and even what I was doing here.

EC kept me going three years ago while I was going through accepting I was gay and coming out while married... I came to EC after I decided I did deserve to be happy and that I didn’t have to end it all to escape the pain I was in. Then I stepped away after some disappointments, but after a good while I came back. Wasn’t sure why I did at the time but now I know. I needed this place for what was coming.

So here we are... it’s not the end of this situation but circumstances are changing. I don’t like being a person who needs others. I like to handle things myself and it just keep it moving. I know I can lean on others but I’m starting to think I lean here way too much. I realized that this past week... checking in daily and feeling on my own. It shouldn't be like that. I think I’ve set myself up and caused this situation. I’m not sure how to fix it...

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also don't like needing others and handle things myself, but over time I've started realizing it's not possible to live that way and everyone needs others sometimes. I don't think you lean on people here too much. I mean, look at me, literally my entire relationship from start to present is posted on here somewhere, and most of my personal issues, goals etc. are too. That's probably what my primary use of this site is honestly, training myself to be more ok with accepting help by opening up to complete strangers about deeply personal things and seeing what advice they have to offer about it, even if I don't like what they say sometimes.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While it might feel that you are leaning too much on others, and most likely because you are (perhaps) not used to asking for help in the way you have here, I don't think you are. Asking for, and accepting help, no matter in what form, is always difficult because the moment you do that you have to essentially take a look in the mirror and be honest with yourself. That can be incredibly difficult in particular if opening up, being vulnerable is new to you, or is something you have not done as much of in the past.

You have hit the nail on its head when you said:

Opening up can and most likely will bring up things that you never intended on talking about, or thought they can remain dormant in a corner, continuing to let the world go by with the things you are working on, trying to be yourself. But opening up, letting for things to come out, can only help to get to an even better place. And you are working on it; this is all that counts. It might not feel like it at the moment, but you have made progress, more than you probably realise. If I read over this thread, there are moments where it becomes clear that you have begun to move forward.

Always remember, you aren't on your own, nor do you ever have to feel that way. :hugging:

4. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does seem a little easier to open to strangers, or at least for me. I think that’s the appeal of EC. Honestly I legit vent here before therapy and use it as a way to kinda process my thoughts so I can sort everything out. Then I go in and she blows it all up lol. Being here as long as I have (even with my break) I’ve seen people come and go. And hey I’m still here. That can get discouraging,, it’s also hard when those you get accustom go discussing things with aren’t active or participating. That is when I wonder why? Wasn’t easier just dealing alone? I mean you can’t miss something you never had... I don’t know if that makes sense.

At what point does asking for help turn into nagging, whining, becoming unbearable to those around you? That’s what concerns me here at times. I don’t want to be that needy person because... well I know what happens to them, what said about them, etc.

I do see some progress for sure :slight_smile: that makes me happy. Tomorrow is another therapy day and honestly I’m dreading it. I think I’ve just been emotional raw since last week and that’s impacted my feelings here, with family, and friends.

I am trying... I’ve always felt alone. Even surrounded by people so it gets hard to see those around. And then when they are I wonder why they are there? When they are going to leave? It’s not healthy and shows another side to my crazy but it’s true.

5. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Had therapy this morning... it was more a clean up session from last week. When she asked how I was feeling the only word I can think of to describe it is raw... very exposed from everything. We talked about this and such. She said she thinks that is promising and wants me to learn to be comfortable with being “raw” or vulnerable... I’d rather vomit honestly. Trying to keep it moving.

6. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hang tight my friend. Do the best you can. It's unpleasant and tough, but by facing down these raw emotions we can finally begin the healing process.

I'mStillStanding likes this.
  7. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is easy to forget at times that everyone has their own issues/struggles that they deal with, trying to overcome them, but of course are different. Some things will need more time to be worked on, and it is perfectly alright to write about them. I don't think you are being fair to yourself (first and foremost), if you compare where you are at to others. If at all possible, try not to create more pressures on yourself by comparing where you are at to someone else. The starting points of the comparison might not be even the same. Even if there are some members who have moved on, or are no longer as active, that's okay. Don't worry about it. If it helps you to write out your thoughts, write them out and perhaps even print it out and take what you have written to a therapy session.

Talking about your struggles and trying to make sense of them, trying to move forward is not whining and/or nagging - that would have a different tone to it. For some, working on things is a longer term thing and that's quite alright; when you look back at what you have mentioned previously, you know you are making progress. At this point, this is what I would zero in, and use it to continue working on things.

It is hard to walk through it all, learning to become and be vulnerable. To be you, the real self, have no prerequisites, no shields, being able to talk about (difficult, disappointing, etc...) things and being honest with yourself (and by extension with others), you need to be vulnerable. You need to be able to walk into the arena, look and interact with your critics - and that includes yourself and say: "wait. I am here because I want to be the person that can work on difficult things, can overcome challenges, and knows that I'm going to be stronger as a result.

8. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I’m hyper aware of this honestly. I feel like my problems are minor compared to most and that’s why I’ve kept them to myself.

When you hear things like... “it’s time to get over it!” From family in reference to the sexual abuse you experienced at 4 it’s kinda awkward dwelling on these thing. The smell of greens cooking trigged the memories of the first encounter so now every time I smell them I get very very sick. A couple years ago my family wanted some and my grandma who knew about the abuse and the greens said she was cooking some. I said... oh, ok well I’ll go hang with (my younger siblings on dad’s side) and visit them. When asked why I said that smell makes me sick... she literally said that happened over 20 something years ago it’s time to get over it. It’s funny, not really but kinda, how much these things have impacted me. I’m starting to think they done as much damage as the abuse itself.

I’ve said this in therapy since coming out... I don’t know who I am. That scares me. I don’t want to be a jaded queen. I like the up front but up best views. I’m scared I’ll lose the person I built to hide in and not like the person underneath. That’s terrifying.

You had me saying hell yes... till I reread it and caught the word... yourself! Joking, but seriously I know we are all outback own worst critiques. I guess I expect perfection from myself and I don’t know why....

I’ve had this reply for a couple days but been trying to figure out the perfection thing. I’m not sure if it’s cause I’m a middle child, or that I was the problem child, or that in family therapy everyone said I was the the thing destroying our family when I was like 9 or 10, or what... but I’ve always felt I’ve had to fight for my place at the table. I had to earn my love and maybe I feel that same way about self love and respect. So I have to be perfect and when I’m not I beat myself up. That’s why I hate how I look and can’t see progress on weight loss so I don’t eat, that is why I get super nervous regarding sex until the moment comes because there’s and easy way to tell if you accomplished that task, even when I cook for people I want it to be perfect... this is interesting...

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When a family member says that, how do you respond to it? Was there ever a time where you said to them that the abuse you experienced has left you traumatised? You are describing triggers and someone who has a bit of understanding of what it takes to heal from abuse, trauma would be cautious of saying that. Have you mentioned it to your therapist?

As you let go of who you are 'supposed to be' and work on being the person you are, you will (re)discover who you are. Letting go of the mask and the veil, you will learn more about the person that was hidden behind them. It is scary, no doubt; you are learning things about yourself that you might not have even thought about a couple of month or years ago or realised that they are part of what helps to make you, you. I suspect that as you continue working on things, things will start falling into place and you will gain a better understanding of who you are underneath.

Perfectionism, wanting to or needing to be perfect, is a shield against vulnerability. If someone says they are perfect, it also means that they don't make any mistakes, there is nothing about them that needs to change, or that can improve, etc. Striving to be perfect or wanting to be perfect doesn't allow one to be seen for who they are; it is one way to avoid judgement by others, and also to avoid having to face shame.

In some respects. you are letting go of the need of being perfect or striving to be perfect, because you are talking about the very issues that probably let you to wanting to be perfect.

10. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. The times I’ve talked about it hasn’t gone well. It’s not a subject that’s really acceptable to talk about. If it is discussed it’s more about how it affected others. Three days ago my mom said the worst day of her life was when my grandma passed recently, it had been when my little brother passed. Then she paused... and said nope. You know the worst day of my life, there’s no a way parent can prepare for that or recover from that. She was talking about the time I told her at four the old guy at the babysitter had molested me... it’s still about the damage it’s caused her.

I’ve mentioned it in therapy but in passing and not to this therapist. I probably should for sure...

It’s hard breaking out of the mind of who you are suppose to be... I thought I had when I came out. I was way wrong for sure!

It’s weird to say this but I do feel more secure in myself than I ever have before. I feel a mess and raw and all but I feel more like me... I don’t know how to explain it.

Reading this made me think of Bree Van de Kamp on desperate housewives... I’ve always liked her and I guess it’s cause I get that. Hiding behind the fake smile and the perfect exterior... people don’t ask the funny guy if he’s sad, the nice guy if he’s lonely, the outgoing guy if he’s insecure, etc. that’s been my whole life. I learned it quick. I’ve said it before here but it gets clearer I guess...

You’re right. Once I understand something I feel better about it. Like the shame and guilt from the abuse I have a better understanding of where that comes from... it’s weird but I need to make sense of it to get trough it I guess...

11. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you get the chance to talk with your therapist about it, including how it was never talked about or forbidden to talk about in your family, I think it would be good. It had and likely still has an impact on you. (*hug*)

12. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday was another therapy day. It’s the second time I went in blank. No idea what to talk about. I’d thought about talking about what @Mirko you suggested but it just wasn’t there. When I sat down I had nothing that would come to my mind.

She asked how I felt.... all I could say is I have no idea. So she asked again because evidentially that isn’t an appropriate answer. Weird, she didn’t like that either. But that’s all I had. I repeated it... “weird, awkward, I don’t know what do you want from me?” Kinda said that a bit more aggressive than I wanted to.

That’s when I realize all week I’ve been saying things I’d never say. I’m always honest but normal in a very tactful, thought out way. But the last couple weeks it’s just came out... and until yesterday I didn’t notice.

For a split second she made the same face she did our first session. The one that made me almost not go back. I pointed it out and said I know what that means... you see me. She laughed and said yea... but the thing is now you see yourself so let’s focus on that. I’m exhausted! See what happens next week!

13. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, it is okay if you didn't talk about things, or didn't feel it was the time for it. As you continue to see your therapist, you will probably find that some times there are sessions where you talk about things you wanted to talk about, and then there are others, where you will talk about things you never thought you will, or were never on the front burner.

Your therapist is supposed to be able to see through you. It is uncomfortable because you know that you can't hide your thoughts or your feelings. At the same time, and as odd as it sounds, this is what is going to help you.

Seeing yourself is good - it means you are making progress. :hugging:

14. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ve tried to come and comment a couple times, but it’s been hard. So I was talking to a friend on Tuesday about an encounter they had recently had with a “friend.” I was surprised the person had stayed the night and during our convo I admitted I’ve never actually slept with a guy. I’ve hooked up and hung out after but always went home or sent them home and slept alone. They asked why and we talked about it... I finally realized it’s about trust. Not as much about trusting them but trusting myself.

So that’s what I talked about in therapy yesterday. I don’t trust myself when it comes to friends, lovers, relationships really.... I second guess everything and don’t let my guard down. Mainly because I’ve made some poor choices in the past that’s led to problems for me... like thinking I could be straight, the abuse stuff, etc. Now gonna figure out how to trust myself.

And now that I’m typing this maybe I do have to forgive myself... I said I didn’t want to have to because I didn’t want to have any responsibility for certain things but I may not be able to escape that.... crap!

15. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looking back on what happened to you, and trying to come to terms with your sexual orientation, it is understandable as to why you are struggling with trusting yourself, and also why you second guess things. In order to trust others, or build trust with others, you need to trust yourself first.

We do things for a reason, we make choices based on what we think is the best for us at the time we are making that choice. And it does happen, when looking back, we realise that the choices were not the best but we learn from it and move forward from there. If at all possible, try not to be too hard on yourself. At the end of the day you still want to have the energy to work on making things better for yourself. :slight_smile:

16. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This process has been torture. I’m now more depressed than I’ve been all year, feel more alone although I’ve been more open to some a few people in my life, and still kinda lost! I think I should rethink this entire thing for sure!

17. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you mentioned to your therapist that you are feeling more depressed?

I think being more open with others is a good step forward. When you are more open with others, how do you feel?

18. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea and my doctor as well know I’ve been down more the last few weeks. They’ve pointed it out and we are working to monitor it.

Vulnerable and not in a good way! I mean alone... it’s kinda like I’ve emptied out an account and ain’t got nothing coming back like not sure what else to say honestly.

19. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good to know that your therapist and doctor are monitoring it.

Being more open with the people in your life, how did they react? Did they say anything that precipitated the feeling of being alone?

Re-creating the connections with your friends, or the people in your life based on being more open with them, or just being more yourself, might feel as if you gave up something. Opening up, you are letting go of what you kept to yourself, protected. It could take some time to find the thing that could help to fill that space that is available, if that makes sense. :hugging:

Devil Dave likes this.