1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feelings for a coworker

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Pete18, May 26, 2019.

1. Pete18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello! I have a coworker with whom I have developed strong feelings for and it hurts because I am unsure a) of his sexuality and b) how he feels. The first time I met him I said to myself that he was gay. I had no attraction to him at that time and let’s just say it took a few weeks for me to even like him (found him to be annoying) but over time I slowly developed a crush on him and would say things to myself like “he’s cute” or “he looks nice”, etc. Then when we when out a couple of times on our own or for a work event but spent it mostly him and I, feelings started to come in. At this point now (known him for about 15 months) I have strong feelings for him and feel a strong connection to him. I hate to generalize or stereotype but there have been some signs that he is gay. He will often look at me in a certain way or I feel like he is checking me out or staring me up and down but in a subtle way. He will at times complement me, smile at me, etc. We often maintain deep eye contact with each other when talking (not in a creepy way lol). He definitely has some feminine qualities and again I hate to generalize and say those things mean he is gay but it adds to the overall feeling that I get from him that he may like me more than just as a friend. He is single and goes on dates with woman regularly. This of course gets me a little jealous. He knows I’m gay and we have been (to me at least) flirty at times and often at work. Another coworker confided in me that they thought we were flirty at times with each other.

He knows I have a crush on him but not how much I really care for or how I feel an almost magnetic force between him. I told him he is a catch and that I wish he was gay because he’s smart, good looking, fun, and funny. He smiled and didn’t feel it was too much for me to say, or make it awkward between us.

Some things that he has done to make me feel like there is a romantic connection between us include:

1) A couple of times he has surprised me and come up from behind and will put his arms on my shoulders. They were at outside work functions. Or one time I was talking to a friend (a woman friend who was my date) and he sidled up next to me (again I didn’t see him coming) and he put his arm around my waist.
    2) He was talking to another employee once at an outside work function and praised me (with me there). He was so proud of the work that I do in the community and my recent weight loss. He was BEAMING with pride I can’t even tell you! It reminded me of a parent boasting about their child. He had such a huge smile and was so happy to tell her.

There are more examples but you get the picture. He is such an amazing person and everything I look for in a partner or could want. We share a lot of laughs when together. It’s strange how when it’s just him and I, there is definitely less, if any, flirting. He will talk about woman, or his dates, go on dating apps, etc.

Sorry for my rambling. I just get so sad because of these feelings I have for him. He is a lot younger too so that’s a huge factor. I feel like his coming out (if he is gay) is a long ways away. How do I move on? I want to remain friend’s and not just coworkers. I do date here and there but haven’t found anyone that I have really wanted to date.

Thank you for reading!

Rachel9245 likes this.
  2. Rachel9245

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm resurrecting this post. Okay so how long do you want to work there? And how much would it make you sad if you were to try to date him and it didn't work out and you had to see him at work every day?

I've only seen something kind of similar happen, I had an openly gay male coworker and our military straight boss would like run his fingers along my coworkers back occasionally when he walked by. Which I think it's pretty crazy and I don't know why he would do that of he wasn't somewhat interested???

Anyway, I think he likes you. He might not want to do anything about it though. So that's the catch. You could continue flirting as usual. Or next time he flirts tell him it's getting difficult for you to focus on your work when he does that and make direct eye contact when saying it to escalate the flirtation until someone makes a stronger move. Or wait until you leave and let him know that you're still single and available if he decides to cross over to the dark side.

Just some ideas.

sublimeprincess likes this.
  3. Rachel9245

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wait, you wanted to get over him. Hm, stop reacting when he flirts with you and eventually he might stop... Or confess his undying love. Either way I think you win.

sublimeprincess likes this.