1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glossophobia

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Leonardo5, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Leonardo5

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all, I have been battling one specific phobia type thing for many years now, it started mid primary school. it’s this weird fear of singing in front of others, and might I add, I am very musical! And in my instrumental lessons my teacher always ask me to sing notes, intervals and alI I am able to do is stand there frozen in fear with a fake smile stuck on my face, yes I look very dumb but even if I try no sound will escape my lips. I’ve done some research on this singing phobia and it came up with glossophobia, fear of public speaking, which is not singing (though I get very nervous when I have a presentation to do). I can’t seem to find any specific phobia on my case, and now I’m wondering if this is just me making an excuse not to sing.
    Now, i actually really like to sing, i sing by myself with no one listening, or to specific people in my family. Anyone out of that circle, my lips will shut tight and stay shut.
    I just don’t get why I can’t sing to anyone else, because I absolutely love to sing!

sublimeprincess likes this.
  2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Others may have more Information of phobias than me, but the internet is full of imprecise and fake advice, so I would be careful in using it with the objective of self-diagnosis.

Have you considered talking to a therapist about this? It may be caused by anxiety or something like that, and a therapist will help you to work this out.

3. Leonardo5

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m too scared to go to the therapist because that would mean involving my parents :/

#3 Leonardo5, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think they wouldn't allow it? You don't need to specify the reason why you want to go.

5. D Artagnan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Jay557 This is TOTALLY me in a nutshell. I play guitar, piano, and trumpet....all in front of audiences. But you couldn't pay me to sing in front of ANYONE. I've been told that I sing fine (being caught singing when you think no one can hear you sucks) and even though, like you, I like to sing and I think I'm good at it, too. BUT....there is no way I'll sing in front of people.

As far as an explanation for my fear.....

When I was five.....the church I was going to was making a bunch of us sing. Somehow I ended up directly in front of the microphone. Apparently, I was too loud and the woman running it was quite nasty about it. I haven't sung publicly since.

So....I can relate. :confused:

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps the term could be stagefright. It doesn't have to be a big audience for you to get stage fright. Do you sing by yourself at home?

7. Leonardo5

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don’t think it’s stage fright, I want to sing in front of people but my vocal chords just won’t let me, and then the long silence becomes awkward so I eventually end up standing there smiling that stupid smile.

8. Leonardo5

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s because... I don’t like talking to my parents, I find it hard to express my feelings :frowning2:
    I also find the conversations very awkward

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stage fright doesn't mean you don't want to it means you find it difficult or freeze when you get there which to me sounds a lot like what you have described.
    https://www.verywellmind.com/stage-fright-2671878

10. sublimeprincess

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that singing in front of others is linked to performance anxiety. It probably has a different subset than performing with instruments or public speaking.