1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clarification on a Georgia law please?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hawke, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Hawke

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone! According to transequality.org, "Georgia will amend the sex on a birth certificate upon receipt of a certified copy of a court order indicating the sex of an individual born in this state has been changed by surgical procedure and that such individual's name has been changed. Ga Code Ann. ยง 31-10-23(e)." There are a multitude of different surgeries one can undertake though. Does it require only require top surgery? Or a hysterectomy? A phalloplasty? If anyone could clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it!

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just took a quick look at the actual statute, and it offers no additional guidance. If I were to wild guess, I would think they are looking at sex as based on genitalia, so most likely, this would mean one or both (hysterectomy and phalloplasty.) However, you'd probably get a more precise answer by checking with an LGBT center in Georgia. I know there's a pretty well established one in Atlanta, that might be a place to start.

3. Hawke

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much!