1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you regret divorcing and/or coming out?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by JToivonen, May 30, 2019.

1. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The way you portray your wife makes her sound passive and almost child-like with you being the only adult who is responsible for where the relationship goes. If that's accurate, I can see why that may not be particularly appealing. Have you considered working on the parts of the relationship that don't directly involve sex?

Nic2552 and JToivonen like this.
  2. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't worry, I don't mind you being blunt. It's way better to be direct than to keep beating around the bush.

I was reading about the stages of grief here on EC and I believe my wife is currently in the bargaining phase. So maybe that's why she still thinks that it's possible for me to overcome my gay side. And, as some have said here, she needs sometime to process the shock of finding out that I'm into guys. It's tough on her, I'm aware of that.

I've made a decision to see that separating is what I really want to do - I mean, I really want to be out now, but I have to be as certain as possible that I won't regret it in the future. I'll also need to feel that, when we're over, I'll have done everything I could to save my marriage, so I won't feel guilty. In the meantime, I hope she'll have a chance to come to her senses regarding me and our future together.

And I told her I'm not waiting forever. Not even for too long. We both need and deserve happiness and, right now, we're both miserable. But she still believes we can sort it out. I don't. I feel like crying all the time (something that never happened to me before). But I gotta try. It's my last shot.

And, honestly? I feel like if she's the one who says enough, that would be a huge favour.

3. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In no way I'm going to live a fake, shadowy life. Not anymore. I've doing this all my life. I neither can't not want to keep on doing that.

But as I previously said, I need to be sure that I did everything within my reach to save my marriage. And I need to give her time. And yes, it hurts to live like I'm living now. But I set a deadline, not very far. If nothing changes until there, then I'm out.

Dionysios likes this.
  4. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't say that...maybe I've portrayed her in an unfair way...I wouldn't say she's childish. But she's fragile, that's for sure.

The other parts of the marriage are fine. I mean, she's a good companion, fun to be with. She's too self-conscious, so it's annoying at times. But I could live with that. But I have no lust. No desire. I'm longing for a guy, not for her. And I don't think I can pretend that I'm into her (or any women for that matter) anymore.

5. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    S
    So, so true. The broken dreams and plans... they hurt a lot! Even if I now know and understand that I didn't do it on purpose. I truly believed I was doing the right thing. I married for love.

Have you gone down the same path? Were you married when you came out?

6. NotTooLoud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, SevnButton,
    That is what I was saying. My wife had very few limitations because she knew I doubted my sexuality and used it to get whatever she wanted.

SevnButton likes this.
  7. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @RJH -
    Yes! That's one of the things that really scared me about coming out to my wife, and I even told her so in The Big Talk. I felt like I was handing over to her a sword that she could use to cut me down, if she so chose. She's mostly been honorable, although she's threatened me a few times. So yes, I understand - If she had chosen to cut me down, that would have made it an clear choice to walk away.

NotTooLoud likes this.
  8. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Weaponizing" a spouse's sexuality after disclosure is, probably, going to end poorly even if the original intention is to try to make a mixed orientation marriage work.

NotTooLoud likes this.
  9. Etereo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am legally separated and will pursue my divorce this year. It's been over a year for me and I left him because he was horrifically abusive and dangerous. Of course, it hadn't hit me that I was also homosexual until the end of 2018/beginning of 2019, so that's also another huge reason to divorce him. Like you, I also married with the intention to be monogamous and to be with, whom I used to assume, was my very best friend. My partner in crime. I thought too, that I was doing the right thing, the correct thing, the "loving" thing.

He knew deep down that I was not as attracted to men as I said I was, and I would flit between me telling him and everyone that I'm straight, or bisexual. I really thought that I can survive being with men, that it wasn't that bad. But it was bad and it will always be bad. Even having so called consensual romantic or sexual contact with a man traumatizes me deep in my core.

I really really hope the absolute best for you and I am here for you if you need to talk to another divorcee. I won't be divorced until maybe the end of this year or next year lol but I already feel like a divorced woman, so definitely hit me up in my message inbox if you need a friend. :slight_smile:

JToivonen likes this.
  10. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What I was driving at, probably not too clearly, was that you portray your wife as basically not having her own mind when it comes to what she wants out of life ... sure she's upset but it seems odd that she's not angry or asking questions, etc. I mean, is she willing to have a sexless marriage with you? Is she just willing to go along with your decision whatever it may be?

JToivonen likes this.
  11. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, sorry, now I see what you meant.

Well, in a sense I've always thought that she is/was way too devoted to me...I mean, she has no hobbies, she's frustrated at her career (not satisfied, no ambitions, not sure what she wants to do, no drive) and she always told me that I'm the best part of her life. Frustrated as she is with the rest of her life, I'm the part of her that never disappointed her - until last year, when I first came out to her. Still she says she's happy with me. She said once that it hurts to be around me, but she misses me when she's not with me and it hurts her more.

She had a angry phase...and she asked a lot of questions. Sometimes she still gets angry and asks. That's why I mentioned it seems to me that she's going through the grief stages, since now it appears to me she's in the bargaining stage (I may be wrong).

She's not willing to live a sexless life, not at all! She wants the sex back (we haven't made it for months, my fault, obviously). She tells me all the time that she has very hot dreams with me. She keeps trying to kiss me and she tells me that I look hot. Sometimes she asks when we're going to have sex again. Our sex life had never been great...she always complained about that. Now I clearly know why.

#91 JToivonen, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  12. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of that makes a lot sense in terms of how you feel the responsibility of hurting her so accutely. So when you asked originally if anyone here regretted getting divorced and/or coming out, did you mean did anyone feel regret about hurting someone else, or did you mean did anyone feel regret because they personally didn't get what they wanted out of embracing the "gay lifestyle"? I ask because it's interesting that you never seem to have said what coming out and being "gay" would mean for you ... both the good and bad ... instead you seem to focus only on what your wife would feel. Assuming she was sad but ready to move on herself, how would you actually feel about what might be ahead for you as a gay man?

JToivonen likes this.
  13. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I meant a bit of both. I wanted to know, by asking my original question, if all the suffering of a divorce process and the wounds and scars it leaves are worth the happiness one is supposed to encounter by coming out and living openly as a gay person.

Also if being gay made someone happier than the previous status as a closeted gay person in a straight marriage.

Bottom-line: are you guys happier now that you're out? Or would you come back to the safety of your marriage if it were possible?

Regarding my own future as a gay man...wow, it seems so exciting! Honestly I can't wait to be out to the world and live my life freely, without having to pretend to be something I'm not! I don't intend to live a flamboyant lifestyle...in a sense, my life won't change that much. But I'll be free. And I'll be able to have go out once in a while, dance and have a few drinks (something currently impossible right now) and, most importantly, be intimate with another man, both physically and romantically. Of course I know things are not that easy, but it appears to be better than what I'm currently living (yesterday I had a serious episode of self-harm...so I doubled the amount of pills my psychiatrist had prescribed me - Bromazepam - and right now I'm numb. Emotionally I can't feel a thing).

14. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I were you, I would try to get more specific information to elaborate on this: "Of course I know things are not that easy, but it appears to be better than what I'm currently living ...."

JToivonen likes this.
  15. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey. Please call your Psychiatrist as soon as you can. You really shouldn't be doubling your dose of drugs for any reason unless you discuss it with them.

16. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll talk to him, we'll be meeting this Friday. I know I shouldn't have done this without discussing it with him. But my pain is overwhelming, unbearable really. So I just wanted some relief, since Bromazepam kind of disconnects me from my emotions.

17. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I mean was that I'm aware that life won't get all rosy if I come out. I'll still face problems. Some of my old issues will continue with me and I'll have to face new ones - socially I'm still in the "comfortable side", since I don't have face things like hatred and homophobia.

But still...it appears to me that things should be better being gay that they are now that I'm stuck in my marriage and in a false life as a straight man. I feel like I'm drowning. I'm in spiral of awful thoughts and feelings. And I'm started to feel that, somehow, I'm being manipulated with the religious aspects. "Satan's playing with you" vs "God is going to break you, so you can realise that you need Him above everything else and only then, when you recognise Him as the most important thing in your life, He's going to heal you". I'm tired of all that shit.

18. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How horrible to feel like that! Consider calling your doctor to squeeze in an earlier appointment. Drugs can only manage the pain however. You don't want to function as a zombie. The real solution is coming out and ending the marriage which has wrapped around you like prison bars and made you feel so miserable. Life, despite the unpleasantness which comes on the heels of a broken marriage, will be far happier for you my friend in the long run.

Chiroptera, NotTooLoud and JToivonen like this.
  19. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I already feel like a zombie sometimes...as if I had turned the autopilot on...I just react to things, no pleasure whatsoever.

Right now I'm in my mother's house, in my old room, lights out, thinking about why I'm doing this to myself...then something stroke my mind: I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the old me.

I mean...I was deeply in love with my wife once...I wanted to be around her all the time! I enjoyed hugging her, cuddling...talking to her...being with her was all I longed. So what happened to this old version of myself? I know it was a real feeling...but where did it go? Where did I go?

How is it possible that I have changed so deeply and so fast?

Even though I've always known I've always had a thing for guys (I knew that even though I tried hard, really hard, to conceal and deny it to myself)...but that explains why I don't want to be with her anymore? Is that enough to explain that?

Where's this huge love, is it all gone? How? How can I explain how this love's vanished to myself?

I think it's the last piece of my puzzle.

20. NotTooLoud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    JToivonen,

Only you can, and should, decide what is the best thing for yourself. We all speak from our own experience and there are several members who have remained married even after coming out to their spouse.

Personally, I deeply regret not having left sooner. My wife was a very dependent person and I felt an obligation to remain with her as her sole source of financial support. She was very good at appearing helpless and, in fact, told me several times that she would have to ask my mother for help if I left her (she knew I didn't want my mother involved). I wanted to be certain she would be able to support herself on her own after I left. And now, it looks like she is going to get a very large portion of my wealth (built by working two jobs for most of my life!) simply because I stayed as long as I did.

JToivonen and Dionysios like this.