1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HPV Vaccination Schedule question

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DecentOne, May 8, 2019.

1. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all,

I am an older man who decided to go ahead and get the series of HPV shots at my own expense. I’ve just completed the first, and now the second one (almost 2 months after the first, as recommended). The final, third, shot is recommended at 6 months after the first (four months from now), but my next Dr. appointment isn’t until six months from now, and that is when I’m scheduled to get the shot. Is it bad to wait those extra two months? Are there any studies which show how that might affect my long-term resistance to HPV? I’ve dug through a lot on the internet, and I don’t see a definitive answer.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't there a way to reschedule and take the shot when it is due?

Personally, I'm not aware of any studies about that, but I wouldn't change the plans unless you have asked your doctor and he/she said it is ok.

3. Lover83

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi.
    There is no problem in waiting, that will not affect the immunity. Vaccines have a minimum time between shots that has to be respected. If you had to take a shot 4 months after the last but take it 6 months after instead, there is no problem. You can’t take earlier than scheduled because that will affect immunity.
    Hope it’s understandable :slight_smile:

4. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks JonyGarcia, and welcome to Empty Closets.
    Do you have a vaccine study reference I could read about what you say? Or do you have medical training that helped you understand this?

I am sure I could reschedule. I’m just not sure my insurance will pay for the clinic visit that way. I have only a small copay for ordinary clinic/doctor visits. If I make a visit just for this one shot, which my insurance denies to pay (because I’m too old for HPV coverage), it may be that I get to pay not only for the vaccine but also all the side charges too (injection preparation fee, clinic visit, etc.). If I get the shot at the same time I’m doing “covered” things (regular appointment, or combined with a covered vaccine in the same visit) I know all the other charges are taken care of, for just my small copay.

5. GayTurtle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This strikes me as something you should just ask your doctor. Your doctor has more resources and training to answer this than most everyone on an anonymous forum.

out2019 and Chiroptera like this.
  6. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. Though I’ve found good pointers about what to ask (or look up) before... and that helps me be a better patient and draw out a fuller response from doctors.

GayTurtle likes this.
  7. Lover83

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    O am a doctor. Let me see if I can find something for u in English

8. Scaredk

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have read thru your threads and was very encouraged that you realized you were bisexual and were choosing to remain monogamous with your wife. Just curious if there has been a shift in your feelings about being monogamous now that you are having the HPV vaccine series? I am a straight spouse who was really finding comfort in reading your threads you were bisexual but committed to your wife.

9. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Scaredk,
    Wow, first post for you, even though you’ve been hanging around a bit! I’m honored that you’ve been reading what I post.

I’m still committed to my marriage and wife. I’m just the kind of guy who wants to be safe. And I have no clue what might happen in the future — so while I have access to a clinic, it makes sense to get caught up on vaccines.

For a longer answer, here is some of my (granted, irrational) thinking:
    1) Stats from CDC show bisexuals are less likely to be getting the medical care they need. I refuse to be part of that statistic. I’m not ashamed of my orientation and if that means I’m able to tell a doctor and the doctor says “ok, we recommend Hep A, Hep B, and Meningitis C, which insurance will cover, but HPV would be something you’d have to pay...” I said go for it.
    2) The CDC and other stats show I’m now in a category which gets raped more than straight men, gay men, and hetero women. What if my fears come true? I don’t want to be raped. I don’t want to get HPV from a rape. There is lots of other stuff I can do to avoid rape, and HIV PEP and other treatments to take after for STIs, but once exposed to cancer-risk HPV strains there is the chance I would never know what I’m carrying back to my wife (I don’t think they have an HPV test for guys - just the other STI tests).
    3) What if as time passes I continue to accept my orientation, I end up like many other guys in this situation, very much wanting something more with a guy? What if I confess this to my wife and she says maybe not sex, but some naked cuddling or other stuff between me and another guy would be ok with her. HPV is transmitted by contact. From what I read even if people are using condoms, the parts of bodies that are not covered could transmit HPV.

So, rather than worry about “what if” I just went ahead and am getting the series of three shots. Piece of mind. Simple, as I can afford it and work near a LBGTQ clinic (which may not be true in the future as my job location will move again).

#9 DecentOne, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  10. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update:
    My Doctor said getting the last shot a couple months later will be fine, so that is what I’ll do (I’ll go at the time I have an appointment for other stuff, rather than making a separate visit for just HPV).

11. JaymzR1968

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do work in healthcare, and I would suggest either A) stick with your follow in injection schedule as provided by your physician or clinic staff during your initial round, as this ensures the full efficacy of the vaccine. Or B) at the very least, as one respondent said earlier - check directly with your healthcare provider to ensure there are no issues with waiting. Just keep in mind that sometimes a little more out of pocket expense up front outweighs the potential serious impacts down the line should something develop from having HPV. Just my two cents. ✌

12. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @JaymzR1968,
    Yes, I’m doing what my doctor has said, getting the final (3rd) HPV shot. I am surprised it is being done a couple months “late” but according to the doctor this causes no problems. Since you work in health care perhaps you’ve seen something written about efficacy that says otherwise, but I’m OK with doing as the doctor arranged it with me. I’m glad to know if you can quote something about different timings.

Yes, I’m paying out of pocket, full cost, as I’m too old to be eligible for HPV shots. I think the cost is well worth the peace of mind... and I’m not even sexually active. My guess is this vaccine will be more widely recommended in the future, as a catch-up for the whole adult population. I don’t know if my body is as good at responding to the series as well as young people, there don’t seem to be studies on that yet, that’s ok, I’m guessing I’m better off doing this vaccine than not doing it.