1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning, but don't really feel dysphoric

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NightShale, Jun 2, 2019.

1. NightShale

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been sort of passively questioning if I am Trans for a while now, with no real breakthrough one way or the other (I've tried a lot of "Am I Trans Quizzes," most of them as you would suspect, being pretty crap; anyway, the almost universal answer being essentially 'Shrug, Maybe' in so many words). The thing is, I don't think I have dysphoria, really. I don't really like the way I look, but I'm not convinced that it's anything masculine (I'm AMAB), though a lot of the time I feel like I would rather look like a woman. In the past, I thought it was more to do with womens' fashion and other aesthetic options, like hair and makeup having a greater range in available options, but I'm not sure that's the case. I've never crossdressed, and it doesn't seem like something appealing to me, in part because I feel like I'd rather be feminine in physique and general appearance and masculine in style, than the inverse, though ideally I'd be feminine in physique and general appearance, and be able to change style between feminine and masculine as I felt like doing, but this isn't something that really carries over when I present as masculine, which is I guess closer to a neutral state. But I also am unsure if this is simply the fact that, since I currently present as masculine, if I were to imagine myself as a woman, I can picture an idealized version of myself, which I can't do as easily as a male version of myself, which is partially constrained by reality.

I also don't really have the experiences that a lot of trans people seem to have, where they were drawn to things coded as opposite to their assigned gender, from an early age, but I don't know to what degree that gives much evidence, since I know plenty of cis women who were drawn to the things I enjoyed. But on the other hand, I've generally connected more with female characters in media I consumed, and generally in games where you get an option what gender to play as I'll instinctively pick female (I'm ace, so I'm pretty sure it's not the fact that female characters in games are often designed around the hetero-male gaze). There's a whole lot of other things that I'm thinking could be evidence towards being trans (such as dreams of varying frequency, through the years, dating back at least to childhood of being female, either just waking up female one day or some sort of magic, or not necessarily being "me", but a different person entirely), but I could also see that forming a bigger, more prominent space in my mind because I've been questioning being trans, and I feel like even just saying it might bias things, because it's easier to say that, and give it weight, than the passive sort of counter-evidence by omission of stuff like not really minding (more neutral than anything) my male name, being referred to with he/him pronouns, ect, which is what makes this whole thing really difficult to weigh for me.

I don't know if I'm giving the right details to get a good answer, mostly because I don't really know what questions to ask to hope to reach a satisfying conclusion, since there's a lot of often contradictory information I see, which is reasonable, given that nothing to do with people or identity is a monolith, and it's usually more complicated than the simple labels we tend to pare things down to but it's difficult not having a satisfying answer. I'm open to the idea I might be some flavor of Nonbinary, but that's such a large umbrella that I'm not sure it helps, but if I am Transfemme, I want to figure that out, not necessarily because I'd transition (I know I saw someone describe transition as creation through destruction, where you essentially go through a gauntlet, between societal and institutional antagonism, to the risk of friends/family rejecting you, ect, to wind up in a better life, as your better self and knowing who is really there for you, but honestly I don't know if that is right for me, right now, even if I were sure I was trans), but because it would give me a better lens through which to examine that, and other, questions going forward.

(Looking at it typed out, this seems a lot longer than when I was drafting it on notepad. Sorry for my longwindedness. Bad habit)

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People come in all shapes and sizes. If you would prefer a more feminine body type, have you considered that maybe you're a tomboy? (Trans) women don't have to be feminine and wear makeup or dresses. Same goes the other way with cis or trans men. You can be feminine and male or masculine and female. Expression doesn't have anything to do with identity. However, it can help with figuring out yourself.

Have you told anyone in your life how you're feeling? Any open-minded friends? I think hearing a chosen name or pronouns may help with figuring some things out. It may feel weird to hear at first because it's new and different, but if you can, and it's safe to do so, it may help hearing it out loud.

If coming out was a non-issue, and everyone was 100% supportive, can you see yourself doing any sort of medical transition?
    Transition doesn't always have to mean "medical". There's social and legal transition as well. If all you see yourself doing is maybe changing presentation or name/pronouns, and your gender marker, that's fine. I think society makes trans people feel like if they don't spend thousands of dollars and medically transition, they're all of a sudden "not trans enough" or "not valid" which isn't true. No matter how much or how little you decide to transition is up to you alone.

Brandy Bee likes this.
  3. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As Hawk said up top, maybe try testing the waters. Treat it as an experiment. You've got the theoretical side puzzled out as far as you probably can, and I know I've been there where I just can't think further so I searched for more information to help me add content to think about however eventually it still ended up feeling like I was running in circles trying to think a physical thing through. It's good to think through, but you're going to drive yourself up the walls trying to over think it, not that I'm sure that's avoidable.

If you think there's weight to your feelings and thoughts, have a close friend call you by a preferred name or just refer to you with your preferred pronouns. Try a change of clothing. Embrace your chosen identity for a while and see if it feels right.

I sort of hinted vaguely to a friend of mine to refer to me as "she" and "her" and "Katelyn" and all that because I was too shy to ask directly. It made the world of difference and I wish I could logically explain why. It feels like progress. So try it. It won't hurt anyone and it could help.

4. NightShale

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't, partially because I don't really have any friends right now. Since college, I haven't really had much of a means to have a social life, and the people who I knew in college I haven't really interacted with much, even online, since leaving, and I'd feel sort of weird talking with them on this, out of the blue. But even if I still had friends I interacted with, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable, irrespective of anything on their part, if my experiences with being Ace are anything to go by (basically the only time I ever mentioned it was one time when talk about sex came up in a group, and someone asked me a question, and I just nervously blurted it out). I feel like anyone I'd try to test the waters with would have to be in the impossible position of being close enough to be able to admit it to, but someone whose friendship I wouldn't care about losing, not because they wouldn't accept me, but that if I decided I was cis after all, my social anxiety would just tank the friendship (something I'm not unfamiliar with in other circumstances).

Probably, since it's the social transition I'm most nervous about, though the monetary concern is something I'd have to think about, if I decided that was what I wanted. But I don't want to decide on socially transitioning until I were sure (or at least way more sure than I am now), because my social anxiety is bad enough without having to go through coming out and then discovering that I was actually cis, and having to walk that back.

Yeah, that's what I was kind of afraid of hearing. I feel like I'm looking for some definitive evidence, maybe finding one question that would sort it all out for me, or one trans narrative that exactly matched mine, so I could say, definatively, if I am trans or not.

But thanks, both of you. This did help, though not necessarily in the ways I was hoping for, with some silver bullet evidence.

5. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For what it's worth, I'm still at a place of coming back to question it often I haven't started transitioning yet because honestly I don't know how to get it started here locally and at times I'm happy it's delayed because I need more certainty. Truth is, in my case, I'm looking for that perfect question and answer pair that will tell me I'm without a doubt transgender. Something I don't think anyone can have since each experience varies, even if just a little. Going by a "feeling" and what I want though, I'm sure enough, but that came from the practical experiment part, something I fought back just as hard because the theoretical part of the experiment was inconclusive. I wish I had started sooner though, it raised more questions but it answered some too and it helped find a sort of certainty in what I want. Now I just need to accept it, another battle.

Good luck to you and strongs I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Hugs
    Katelyn

6. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You said you've been feeling this way for "a while". How long? If you allow yourself to love and accept everything about who you've ever been, not how others reacted or how you felt in the presence of anyone else, just you, when was your first instance of feeling this way that you recall?
    You say you're ace, are you likewise ambivalent toward personal trappings such as clothes, hair styles etc? Have you ever allowed yourself to try "women's" underwear just as a matter of utility as you would get dressed every day?
    When you make a female video game character, do you spend a lot of time on her hair, clothes, name and the like? How does that make you feel in the moment if so? Does it excite you? Do you just feel yourself, you doing you, if so?
    Have you not experimented with crossdressing simply because you haven't yet allowed yourself to do so for some reason?
    These are all things that I have moved through in my journey.
    It sounds like you are about 25. At 25, I had no idea I was trans. Now, at 42, I can't see myself as anything but a trans woman, because these are all matters that took me so long to work through.
    Remember you aren't alone, and love yourself first, regardless of what you discover. And give yourself time.