1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the brink...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jsm, May 24, 2019.

1. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I've told my husband of 18 years that I'm attracted to women, we've been living in this limbo of "what now?" for some time. He's been more affectionate and loving than I can ever remember (which is a bit frustrating actually), but I know we can't continue on like this. I have been and continue to mourn what I thought our lives together and our future would be, but I know this can't be how I continue to operate.

I went to a women's coming out support group for the first time this week, and it was wonderful to see a few people on the other side of similar situations. It helps me see that there is another side. I know I'm not the person I could be while feeling so trapped from being who I really am. I'm not the mom I want to be, I'm not the partner I want to be. My husband and I both deserve to have fulfilling relationships with another in every way. He is my best friend and partner, but I will never be the lover he wants. I never have been. And I can't keep having a sexual relationship with him for his benefit only.

I have to make the next step and tell him I'm gay. I am. I'm gay. I need to accept that for myself, and I need to say those actual words to my husband. That is the only way we move beyond this limbo. But I'm so scared. I'm scared of losing all that I have for a big unknown. But I'm withering from living this charade. How do I take this next step??

Meander, Biblia05, JToivonen and 6 others like this.
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

As difficult as this is going to be and is, the next step as you have already identified, could be to have a sit down with your husband and confirm that you are attracted to women/are gay and feel that you need to start living your live, the live you feel you need at this point.

Entering uncharted territory is scary and it will mean ups and downs, but in some respects you have already entered that territory by letting your husband know that you are attracted to women and by attending the coming out support group. You have started to walk on the path of being yourself already.

How would you feel about looking into finding some counselling support, which could help you in ensuring that you are ready for the next steps, have further support if and when you need it, and could perhaps also be a way to involve your husband in moving forward?

jsm likes this.
  3. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @jsm . Hugs! Big hugs!! Yeah, I get it, this is tough! But we can only go forward, and we can't put the genie back into the bottle. I grieve for your husband too. Please know that there are other people on the same path as you, even though everyone's story is a little different. I hope you have, or you will find people you can talk with face-to-face, possibly including support groups or counseling. I hope your husband will do the same. It's really hard to let go of what you have before you know what you'll get.

Hugs. Big hugs.
    =Sevn

jsm likes this.
  4. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks @Mirko - thank you for your response. I do have a couple of new supports locally, which I’m sure will help. I do think something for me and my husband together could be really good, too.

5. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank for your encouragement @SevnButton :slight_smile:

I did talk with my husband Friday night. I told him I’m gay and could never be what he wants me to be. That we both deserve to have full relationships with people. I also admitted having strong feelings for a female friend of mine. He is hurting, of course. But he was as good as I can imagine a person being with all of it.

I’m just feeling really exhausted. Drained. It is a relief to have said it. But I’m so scared for everything that is to follow. I know he will go through periods of being angry. And we’re just letting all this settle for now - not making any major decisions on how to move forward. Which I think is good, but living all the fears in my head is going to make it difficult to move out of this depressed state that looms over us right now.

How can I be so relieved and excited while so devastated at the same time? My heart is breaking just as it is finally feeling full.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The 5 stages of grief and loss are: 1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance. Your husband might be at any one stage, but all you need is to help him to make progress. I would say one main goal is to live separately. It's harder to move on when you're seeing each other every day.

Also, you might not talk too much about your feelings for others in case he starts to get jealous or blaming them for influencing you. Conversely, it is important to emphasize "I can't keep having a sexual relationship with him for his benefit only."

jsm likes this.
  7. Luria77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @jsm Good to hear what's going on with you! I left my husband in January, but not only because of this huge crush I have on my friend (also a female), but because he has not been the best husband in the 12 years we've been together. I told him I left because of his attitude to me (unkind, plus I found he had been seeing a girl behind my back for a year and half- he swears nothing happened, but he kept this from me), but he hacked my emails and found out that I have deep feelings for this friend of mine- now he's trying to blame our split on me being gay (it's not, entirely, but I still have moments where I feel really bad). He is really angry. We have a child. He still thinks we should work things out (even though he seems to understand I'm a lesbian!). I wish you all the best with your husband...I guess it's not easy even when you have a good relationship with your hubby. I guess there will still be a lot of blame but hopefully you guys can work through it!

jsm likes this.
  8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I am sorry you are going through such a tough time. It sounds like a total rollercoaster of emotions. Whilst this is obviously so hard for both of you to go through I am sure it will all be worth it for both of you when you come out the other side.

jsm likes this.
  9. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is so brilliantly written! For me, it's been as though everything I was suppressing while trying to stay in control FINALLY got to be expressed. I'm crying watching TV shows, getting joyously teary-eyed for the beginning of The Sound of Music, and I even got choke-up at the sound of a delightful ring tone on my wife's phone. It's a little scary, but it's also wonderful to open up.

Big hugs! My thoughts are with you. It seems you have a bunch of folks cheering for you here!

jsm likes this.
  10. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bear in mind that grief is not a linear process and that you may feel conflicting emotions at once.

#10 Peterpangirl, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    jsm likes this.
  11. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I think our next step is defining the boundaries of our relationship at this point. It’s really hard for me not to want to comfort him and act like everything is as it was when we aren’t actively discussing change.

12. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ha! Yes, it seems once we allow ourselves to be open to who we are, we see the world more vibrantly. It’s hard to see the other side from here, and I will struggle with wanted to “take it all back” for a while, I think. But in my heart, I know that happiness doesn’t lie in the life I had been living.

13. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi @Luria77 :slight_smile:
    I think if my husband had his way, he would still make it work with me, too. But I see that ending in a lot of resentment on both sides. I’m so scared of splitting my family (I have 2 little ones) but I’m not the mom I want to be as I hide from who I am. It’s inspiring to hear stories like yours where you took that step of leaving. Even with as horribly hard as this has been so far, that step feels insurmountable.

Luria77 likes this.
  14. Luria77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @jsm it was soooooooooooooooooooooo hard to leave....for me and for him. Lots and lots of tears. But somehow, things seemed to work out, and it felt like the universe was pushing me to go (I'm not that kind of person who believes in things like that, but things just worked out- like, our city has a huge shortage of rental housing, and somehow I lucked out and found a great place for my daughter and I to live nearby). Things just worked out but it was really, really hard, and everyone was crying.

These days my daughter is ok (she wonders why daddy thinks it's better for us to be together, she likes living in a "girls' house"), I'm sort of working through things- I went to a support group for women who are coming out later in life. It was useful, though no one there had children, but a couple were married. I have a crush on a friend, but lately she's been kind of distant, so I'm struggling with that a bit. I signed up for a dating app, but haven't reached out to anyone yet. I still feel kind of sad- but hoping to get through all this....I wish you all the best! It's not easy for sure, but I think the hardest part was deciding to make a change in the first place. You're more than halfway there :slight_smile:

Biblia05, JToivonen and jsm like this.
  15. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your post really made me smile. I think you’re right. I had a productive talk with my husband last night and it feels we’re in a positive place with this. While there’s a lot of tough times ahead (as you continue to experience in various phrases it sounds like), maybe the worst of it is over.

I see a lot of hard times ahead, but for the first time, I don’t see myself settling back into my marriage as a default because I’m too scared to do otherwise. I finally feel hope that I will see the other side of this and that the other side is filled with not just heartache, but with joy.

Luria77, JToivonen and silverhalo like this.
  16. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to your story, @jsm, even though in my particular case I'm the gay husband who just came out to his lovely wife, who dearly loves him, and who's trying to figure out what to do next. Hopefully all of us who are struggling with all those mixed feelings will eventually find a way out and have joy in life once again.

Hope the best will come to you very soon!

maybgayguy and jsm like this.
  17. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, here’s an update. My husband and I have had some ongoing conversations this week since telling him with no room for question that I’m gay and that I want to date a woman. We’re starting with the step of opening our marriage. We discussed clear boundaries and expectations for this and while it’s really quite weird, it all feels right at this point. We both feel good that we have a direction for where we’re going instead of being stuck in a pit of limbo.

I don’t think this is our forever solution. I think we will divorce. But I feel really good. We are going through this together, communicating and being loving as we each struggle to grapple with this change. I feel lighter and more full of hope than I have in many months if not years! It’s hard for me to envision breaking up the family eventually and leaving life as I know it behind, but I finally see that we can do this in a healthy way, especially for our kids.

It’s truly incredible what a difference a week can make. I thank everyone on the forum. This has seriously given me so much strength to push through the doubts and fears. And while I have more of those coming, I can’t imagine anything more scary than what I’ve already done.

Luria77 and JToivonen like this.
  18. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, @jsm! I'm truly happy for you! I really am!

I'm glad to see that you now can feel lighter. Even though you said yourself that an open marriage isn't a forever solution, at least now your mind, body and soul can get some relief.

One friend of mine, who's also gay and who's also struggling to come out of the closet recently told me that we, gay people, have suffered too much without doing anything to deserve all this pain, so we deserve to be happy for being the way we are. So I'm really happy to see that you feel a breeze of hope and joy!

And good also to see that the worse has passed. Hopefully joyful times are waiting for you next corner!

jsm likes this.
  19. Biblia05

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First and foremost, thank you for sharing. Sadly I have not advice for you since I'm living the very same thing with the exception we have been together for 9 years and have three amazing kids.

I can tell you I keep thinking of how can a divorce be beneficial no just to me but to all of us. During a recent conversation he said "I don't understand why you have doubts when this is perfect and everything else is unknown" and yet somehow I feel the that unknown is more certain and real than what we are doing now.

Best of luck and I'll keep looking for updates

jsm likes this.
  20. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is an interesting statement. If you have doubts, then how can he even say that it’s perfect? Unknown is so scary, but that doesn’t mean staying where we are is the right choice. I feel for you in that position. I feel like that’s the world I’m entering into now at this stage of the process. This may be right for the time, but it’s not right for my forever. Do you have a vision for a post-divorce life?

Biblia05 likes this.