1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I transgender...?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AlmondTree, May 21, 2019.

1. AlmondTree

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I'm new here and I need some advice.

I'm 26 years old. I'm male, bisexual. I've always envied the female body, I've always felt I would like to have a body like that. However, this can be because I always wanted to be part of girl groups and my male body has supposed a difference between us. I feel more comfortable with women than men.

However, I've ignored those feelings for a lot of years. Now, I cannot ignore them any longer. I don't think I have body dysphoria, at least not with any particular part of my body, but there's something about my body that makes me feel "bad". What I know for sure is that I don't like my voice, and I know I would like to have a feminine voice. Paradoxically, I'm very talkative and everyone says I sound like someone with a lot of security with myself.

I like the idea of being a woman, but a part of me thinks that maybe it's only some kind of curiosity. I would like to try a more feminine associated look, and I'm going to try some make-up next time I hang out with friends. They know about my doubts and they support me. Also, I like it when someone says I'm a feminine person, it just "feels good".

Maybe I'm trans (male to female), maybe I'm genderqueer... I don't know, I just don't know. I don't know how I should feel to be sure about this. How can I know I'm not misinterpreting those signs? How do I know if it's gender related or a social problem? I don't know what to do, which questions to ask, what to try... I explained all this to my psychiatrist last week and we are having a second meeting in a couple of days, and I hope to clear my mind with his help and yours.

Thank you.

2. atomidog

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Golly, it seems I've got a case of 'relating to this post'!

I say that because I am currently debating on whether or not I am a trans-woman or non-binary. Like, I would love to have a female body but I can not tell if I would regret the very idea or if it would be better off if I just chose to cross dress or do drag. This intersects with my thoughts about being non-binary because I feel like I don't relate to being male or female but, if I had to choose a body it would be female. (I know gender isn't restrictive to ideas of sex in my mind but it is for me somewhat so...? I'm big dumb okay y'all please don't argue with me.)

My advice is though, from a non-biased stand point, explore your interest for six months if you're not feeling super attuned to your gender just yet so then you have some idea of what you want in future. Wearing make-up like you mentioned is a good way of exploring these NaTuRaL sEnSaTiOnS. However, from a definitely biased standpoint I would say you are a definition transgender/genderqueer. In addition to my last point though, give it time. It's a weird process and I understand that, but you just gotta trek through it like any self-exploration journey and find the answers in yourself.

Katelyn93 and AlmondTree like this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you described sounds like what a lot of transgender people feel. The feeling more comfortable around women and relating to them more part. It is a problem to you, but you have to decide by yourself how to solve it: by transitioning, in which way, by asserting your needs, or simply letting it go. This is exactly the "I'm in the wrong body" feeling. But well, what you do about it is up to you and what makes you happy.

AlmondTree likes this.
  4. AlmondTree

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for not answering later nor updating my situation.

I've been thinking a lot these days. I've been talking with a lot of people, including my psychiatrist. And it's very clear now, I am transgender. I'm pretty sure I already knew it when I posted this, but I've needed some time to understand and accept the idea. I've already told everyone (except my father, give me some more days) and everyone supports me. I feel incredibly happy, I'm absolutely sure about this and I'm happier than ever. :blush:

Now it's time to think about transition!

Litebrite, Mihael and atomidog like this.
  5. atomidog

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WE STAN! Good job, best of luck on your transition! :slight_smile:

AlmondTree likes this.
  6. AlmondTree

Gender Pronoun:
    She