1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open marriage question

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Nickw, May 15, 2019.

1. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I didn't know how to title this thread....

My boyfriend called me shaken up an hour ago. He had an accident and is OK. But, it could have been really bad.

I love him. But, I'm married and the outside world sees him as a friend. Maybe some have guessed it's more than that. I don't really hide him but we aren't advertising our relationship.

If something had happened to him, and he was really hurt, I don't think anyone would know how important it would be for me to be with him. And, the same goes for me. I mean my wife would call him but no one else would even know.

This got me thinking how this relationship is maybe different than most people can understand. Sometimes I want to just shout out to others how great this is. But, it is so unconventional that the judgment just scares me. Neither of us can deal with that.

So, only a select few are privy to what we have. I wonder if this is OK? Should we be just taking a stand for others like us? Or, is there no one like us at all?

2. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How terrible! So thankful that your boyfriend was unhurt. It shook both him and you up. The hidden nature of your relationship is both a blessing and a curse. Perhaps, as more bi people come out, people will both understand and accept bi relationships. In this day and age I am surprised that bi relationships are so invisible. My friend, since your wife is accepting of your bf, why not make it publically known? Would the repercussions be so horrible? Your boyfriend is clearly dear to you and this secrecy can cause anguish. Perhaps you, your wife and boyfriend might want to consider revealing it?

3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We are planning on telling a couple of my siblings. This is my wife's and M's issue. She doesn't want her brothers to know because of some past issues and M likes the freedom he has to be open also. It's not just straight societally correctness. There is a lot of pushback from other gay guys too.

When we are out together we don't hide at all. We will hold hands, kiss etc and do not worry about who catches us. I'm sure a couple of my friends know. But, I haven't had him with my hetero married middle age friends...that's scares all three of us.

Dionysios likes this.
  4. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand regarding the family dynamic. But as for your married, middle age friends, I would just say that you should live your life for yourself, not for them. I tried for decades to please loads of people living a false life. If your married friends find out and are shocked, who cares? Let them deal with it my friend. You have already have a beautiful life without them! ☺

merry likes this.
  5. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I really hope he s ok after the accident :frowning2:
    This is going to sound strange but why is it uncomfortable for you to keep your life private? it works for you and your position and if that is that who cares about makingit public? the problem is that your situation might be a little too unconventional for others and might invite unwanted attention and opinions, live your life the way you want it and privately. Go see your boyfriend and make sure the poor guy is ok, other people knowing wont make it any better.
    I ve been in a relationship with my SO for three years and because of the traditional country i live in, except for my sisters and really close friends, to the world we re roomates and besties

Biblia05 likes this.
  6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thankyou

I think this is where we're headed. We're friends with a special connection.

He's told his parents that I should be contacted right away if anything happens to him and I've told my family the same thing.

Our relationship IS very untraditional and someday will, likely, not involve intimacy yet we will remain close. It is hard to explain but our bond is something I know will be there for a long time. How we express that bond is really just between us.

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nickw,

I just went to a birthday party for a long time gay Latin friend of my ex boyfriend (my ex and I are still good friends). His friend just turned 50, is married, has two kids. He has an open relationship with his wife and no one hides it. His entire family and extended family were at the party as were both his gay and straight friends.

I was taken aback by how open everyone at the party was about the situation and how no one seemed to have any issues. It’s been some time since he came out and so everyone has had time to digest it, and clearly they have.

Just food for thought.

#7 OnTheHighway, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  8. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the example! I've only met a couple guys like me...bisexuals with open relationships. I've never met another guy with an actual boyfriend and wife except for on line.

Our situation is complicated by the difference in our ages. My gay friends all think I'm with this guy and he with me for the classic "young hot guy with his sugar daddy". Both of us just HATE that and worry that our families will judge us that way.

I really appreciate hearing stories about how this can work out.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Putting aside all the discussion about age gap relationships and what works or doesn’t, you should not care what other people think if it works for you. Live your life for how its best suited.

10. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right. Thankyou. I try to do this. I live my life, my way. Although, discreetly right now. I won't change what I do to satisfy someone else's world view ever again. But, on the other hand, I keep quiet about it and that's what bothers me.

This seems to be sort of a generational thing. M and I stayed at a younger same sex couple's condo a few weeks back. They had a straight 30 ish male roommate who hung out with us. The next day I skied a few runs with him and we were joined by my wife. He didn't even raise and eyebrow over the arrangement. And, that evening we all hung out together. His girlfriend joined us and she, too, didn't miss a beat as she chatted with my wife and my boyfriend.

I'm not sure my generation is so accepting!

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

With all of the posts I have read, you seem like you have a lot of confidence and are very self aware. Maybe its time to use it to take the next step on your journey?

I was working out at the gym yesterday and today. I have a new trainer working out with me. He is a classic masculine straight gym rat type of guy. He started talking about his girlfriend and I started talking about my ex. He was shocked to hear I was gay and seemed taken aback. I didn’t blink and eye and kept the discussion going, although I did notice his reaction. Today he trained me like he had no reaction and our discussion continued where it left off.

Nickw likes this.
  12. smurf

There is a huge community who has the same arrangement as you, but like you keep it all a secret.

I don't think there is a right answer, but I do think its harder for lgbt people to answer since its just like another coming out experience. So we know what we "should do" and what we have already been able to do. But at least I hope it also shows just how much safer it feels to be lgbt than another lifestyle that most people, even lgbt people, don't get.

Even on EC there have been some nasty threads about our relationships. It fucking sucks and its exhausting.

I personally have let my closest friends know and wherever I have a leadership role in LGBT orgs I make it my mission to let other people know that I'm poly. I then get sooo many people pull me to the side to confine in me that they are also poly, but they don't want anyone else to know.

I'm in the closet about it all to work, family and anyone that I might not know well.

My husband is also not poly, so I don't have a relationship like you sadly. It makes it easier for since for some reason people are more willing to understand and open relationship than someone being able to love two people at the same time. So fucking weird.

Again, I think its completely up to you and you taking care of yourself is not a bad thing.

If you ever come out about it all, then go you. Not only will you be able to breath more freely, but you will also show other people that there are other options other than monogamy. Some people wish they had what you do, but never knew it was an option.

Do what feels right for you three. Check in on each other, take care of your love ones, and try not to be "perfect" about this whole thing.

13. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Smurf

I am evolving on this. At first, when I came out, I just needed to have a bit of exposure to LGBT community. Then, I learned that I did need to explore the intimate sides of my same sex attractions in a non-committing way. Then, it became a special friends with benefits deal. Now, I really understand that I am "poly". It took this current relationship to understand how I am capable of loving more than one person in different ways at the same time.

My wife is not poly at all. She doesn't have that ability and that is OK. The thing is, she knows how much I treasure and love her and she is fulfilled by that. I'm not sure that she would rather I was monogamous at this point.

Yesterday, I met my boyfriend and we were intimate. I then met my wife and had a close evening hanging out and cuddling. She knew I had been with him and she was enjoying the high I was experiencing from that.

It's too bad that others, who are capable of this, can't also do this because it is not approved societal behavior.

In my case, it only works because I am bisexual. My wife would become jealous if I was with another woman. So, I can see how the dynamic works for a lot of people.

I think many people use sexual intimacy as a way to define relationships. It is so odd to me since so many of my straight and gay friends are rarely intimate yet have strong loving relationships.

Why would my intimacy with another have to detract from that relationship?

#13 Nickw, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  14. smurf

Yep.

And this is a wild guess, but if you are as classist as I am then connecting to the poly community can be a challenge.

Most people who are open about their alternative lifestyle (whatever that is) have always been people who have less to lose by being out which us usually people with lower means. It was true for lgbt people and its true for poly people.

Its been an interesting process for me as I'm trying to consciously challenge my classism, but its a constant battle. Still, it has stopped me from fully embracing the poly community.

The online resources are fucking great though. They have constructed some amazing tools to keep these relationships healthy in the longterm. Some poly people have even figured out how to raise kids as a polycule. Blows my damn mind.

This is what people are scared of from poly people.

It blows up how we view freindships, marriages, and relationships as a whole. It disrupts a whole understanding of things and leaves people feeling scared. That's why the backlash is so fucking harsh.

Shine that light. That's why I have always appreciated your candor on EC. So other people can get a glimpse of the many options that are out there for them.

Thank you for sharing your story here :slight_smile:

15. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Smurf, I think I need to challenge you on this point. I can’t imagine there are any statistics here, but I have come across many people living alternative lifestyles within a white collar or in a high socioeconomic demographic. Maybe it’s ibecause I have lived in larger more progressive cities that don’t bat an eye at this stuff, but it’s what I have seen.

16. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well. I have no experience with the poly community. So, I have no idea if this is a class thing or not.

I will say that as an older person of means, I have the time and money to have a wife and a boyfriend. I'm semi retired. Back when I was working my ass off there was no way I could have even caught my breath to explore my sexuality.

I didn't really come out to myself tell I was 50 even though I've known my whole life. There just wasn't the time to fit in what I considered as self indulgent behavior.

The other thing is that my wife is a very successful woman. She doesn't need me to provide any self worth. So, she can accept this without the same level of jealousy.

We've also been together 35 years through all sorts of life challenges. She knows I treasure and respect that and can share my affection.

I couldn't have done this younger or poorer.

17. smurf

I'm not saying that only people in lower socioeconomic places have alternative lifestyles, but that they are usually the most vocal of them all. They are usually the ones that will create communities, literature, resources and the like.

People with means while they are young are usually not open about all of that because there is too much too lose. One of the best and recent examples is Stonewall. Stonewall riot happened in a bar that was for the outcasts of the gay community; trans people, people of color, poor people, feminine guys, prostitutes and the like. The bar was owned by the mafia and it was the place to hang out for the people who were kicked out of the other bars for whiter and more affluent audience.

The same thing has happened over and over again in every single marginalized community. Its not a rule though, just an observation from the history that I have read about social movements.

Girl, when don't you like a a good debate haha love ya :kiss_mm:

I am curious though. Are those people in your circles in the trenches of those communities and openly advocating for them? Because if so that is rare. Usually people who have open relationships will have them, some openly, but most don't go out of their way to create community and to make it more acceptable to have them. They aren't activists for a cause.

What I was saying is that the people who are creating the poly community, educating the masses, organizing the conferences, etc are usually people in lower socioeconomic backgrounds or people whose careers allow for openly alternative lifestyles.

I myself aren't out and I don't push for the polyamory movement as a whole other than online. There is too much too risk and my family can barely handle the gay thing and they think we are monogamous. Can you imagine if they knew our whole lifestyle? no way.

I guess this is some of my point. People do it all the time while they are poor and young. I have met people who have been in a triad since they were 23 and funny enough polyamory makes finances easier since you can share rent with 3 people instead of 2 haha

One of the reasons I would love a triad is to make everything cheaper. Vacations, mortgage, retirement. Phew lol

18. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are more now than you might perceive. Especially those on similar journeys and time paths as mine. And when they embrace themselves later in life, they have the means to support the causes and help push for further activism. Doing so out in the open, not behind closed doors. Just spend a week down in Fort Lauderdale, its open and abundant. Yet again, as I said previously, this is a very liberal/progressive community so what goes on here (or London where I was previously), may not be the norm.

smurf likes this.
  19. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Always!!!!! :joy::joy::joy:

20. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @smurf

I guess what I mostly couldn't have done when I was younger was to have a spouse that could tolerate it. I am certain my wife would never have gone along with it even though she did offer me to her best female friend when she wanted to get pregnant.

Plus we needed to build a relationship where the most valuable thing is our spouses happiness. This took me awhile to learn.

I think, for sure, I have the emotional capacity to be poly. But, there is so much more involved in making it work. Plus, there is the complication of being bisexual. I'm gonna be in the middle trying to keep both happy.

With the demands is day to day I couldn't have done that. And, quite frankly, I really did enjoy a monogamous relationship.

I think more common in My generation is for one or both of the partners to have lovers on the side with full knowledge and approval. Not all living under one roof although my boyfriend does spend a lot of time at our house.