1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R. I. P. Grumpycat

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, May 19, 2019.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As many of you may have heard (it actually made international news, and was reported by most major news networks), Grumpycat, one of the most beloved Internet memes/animals, passed away a few days ago, on May 14th. She was 7 years old.

From Forbes magazine:

"Grumpy Cat was one of the pioneers of meme culture and much the creativity, popularity ...we see today with meme creation start with the story of her viral meme.

...Grumpy died too soon. 7 years in human time, is 45 for a cat, but her legacy is immortal. She is the cat mother of today’s meme culture. She started the mass-based collaborative creative engine of memes. She proved that phenomena that begin online can trickle into the mainstream popular imagination, and she did all of this in a way only a cat could- by detesting everything."

I've held a special place for Grumpycat pretty much since she became a "thing" on the 'net in 2012... as you might guess by virtue of the fact that my avatar is a picture of Grumpycat. I also own a Grumpycat stuffed animal, a 6x9 Grumpycat blanket, a Grumpycat t-shirt, a Grumpycat emblem that is mounted (in place of the automaker's logo) on the grille of my car. and even a (rare) unopened bottle of Grumpycat Grumpuccino (a cappucino beverage that was sold under her name for a while). (All of the above, except for the emblem on my car, were gifts from friends.)

Tardar Sauce (her real name) brought much delight, smiles, and joy to millions of people throughout the world. I'm personally surprised how much I've felt her loss.

RIP, Grumpycat.
    [​IMG]

#1 Chip, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I saw the news, I immediately thought about you and your avatar.

R.I.P. Tardar. As far as I know, she lived a good life, and brought joy and laughs to many, many humans.

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too have been a fan of Grumpy Cat for years and will miss her. This really creepily timed calendar meme seems to have predicted the sad event also. RIP Tardar Sauce.

Untitled.png

4. Zerak

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a cat lover and cat owner who has lost one of his two cats recently (To old age though, rest her soul) this makes me profoundly sad.

I actually had a grumpycat poster as a reminder of my older cat for a few years before I had the younger one adapted as an ESP for my days up in collage.

#4 Zerak, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always think it’s sad when a pet dies. It’s also weird because Tardar Sauce was younger than my cat Muffy. She’s still going at 13 years old with no health problems. I consider myself lucky that she’s still here. She was thrown away by her old owners and my old neighbor rescued her but she already had 3 cats and they weren’t nice to her so we took her in and we’ve had her since 2008.