1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toxic homophobic co-worker/flatmate

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by den6879, May 12, 2019.

1. den6879

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everyone! I am posting this mostly just to vent and also to possibly get an advice or support.
    I've been to the U.S for one year and I really like this country, it's great and society in general is much more accepting of gay people than the one in my home country. However, I still mostly interact with people from my community - at work, at home (housing is provided by my employer, as well as transportation) and most of my friends here in America are from the same culture.
    And so I have this co-worker who is very homophobic - I found out about his views long before he knew I was gay - sometimes during commute to work the topic of homosexuality would come up and he would say things like 'faggots' are mentally ill people, lost people, 'they' are not normal, etc. Also he is very religious, which is the main source of his f'ed up views I guess. One time, when it was just two of us in the car and we were going to the store, the topic came up again and he was saying all those terrible things, i got angry and started defending gay people and saying that 'they' are normal, and I added that we were in America, not in our home country, and that he needed at least to try to change his views. The next day, he started openly calling me a faggot, laughing at me, saying that a normal man would never defend 'faggots' therefore I was one of them. We were still talking to each other and he didn't sound very hostile, but he would make gay jokes about me all the time. About 2 weeks later, we were at the store and he said please tell me you are not gay, I just want to believe that you are normal. When we got in the car, I came out to him. He was shocked and disgusted, he told me it was probably a phase because I didn't look gay, etc. Then we talked for about 3 hours, he was asking me questions and I could say he 'melted' a little bit, he said I was the first gay person he knew personally. But it's not really the toxic part.
    The toxic part is that after i came out to him he started making really hurtful comments about the way I look. He said things like girls don't want you, that's why you turned gay, he called me ugly, he said sometimes i looked legit 'retarded'. We were outside yesterday, there was a man passing by and he asked me if he was gay, I said probably and then he said "Did you see? he looked at me like he wanted to suck my dick and when he saw you he started going faster" and made a really mean smile while laughing. And there was a million more occurrences like that. I don't consider myself ugly, but definitely not handsome either. I think I am average or below average, I used to have a lot of insecurities about the way I look and then I realized that I as a person I had value with and without looks, but it still really hurts. He also sometimes says that i will never achieve anything in my life. The coworker himself is very handsome and charming, he has a nice body and he treats his girlfriend really nice. She's still in his home country, I've seen him talking to her on the facetime and to be honest i felt jealous. The worst part is that i think i am in love with him and I really want him... I feel super miserable, im truly a loser.
    I will be leaving this job and moving to a different state this summer, so it's not like a huge life issue, just wanted to vent I guess...
    Has anyone else been in similar situation?

zuice likes this.
  2. zuice

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    His goal in relating to you is to overpower you by making you think that you are inferior to him. He uses your gay sexuality, which is a minority, to congratulate his straight major sexuality. I would have minimal contact with him. I encountered these individuals in the workplace. Discussing your sexuality with him serves him, because at the end of the conversation, he congratulates himself.

Your goals are your priorities. Do not allow him to delay, detour or destroy your plans for success.

3. GayTurtle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi den6879, welcome to EC!

I think it's pretty clear this coworker of yours is a terrible person. I can't say I've been in a similar situation as you though, so I'm not sure I can help. It sounds good that you'll be moving soon, getting away from this person seems like the obvious thing to do. In the mean time, I might wonder if there were other things you could do to interact with this person? The more one-sided the interactions become, the less incentive bullies have to behave this way. It sounds like these things are mostly individual interactions, so he's probably just feeding off of your reaction. The less you engage, the less he gets out of it. It's not a very satisfying solution, but it's about all I got.