1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I dont want to get off on a rant butt...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jaimequestions, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm at work today and the weather is getting nicer. When this happens I switch from dress shirts to polos, untucked because that is how I feel most comfortable. I pass the bosses office for 2 weeks in a row, and he chooses today to say you're not at a bar, tuck in your shirt. Mens fashion is so limited in an office. Women can wear dresses, untucked dress shirts, leggings, sleeveless shirts, and many other options. Since there is no way to feel liberated, I ordered a pack of thongs, so I can feel a little bit of an identity.

2. ReginaNox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never understood that myself. Why do men that work in offices always have to look so uncomfortable? Its like women and heels, no matter how they look its uncomfortable. Comfort means better work, in general. So long as your work doesnt suffer and its not wildly inapprpriate, i say we should get to wear what we like and feel comfy in.

3. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Couldn't agree more. I will say women look like they are a lot more relaxed though, especially with flats. I see you are a new member. Welcome to the empty closet family.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's supposed to be part of the whole "dress for success" stuff which claims people do better work if they feel professional and important. Wearing a suit or fancier clothes I guess helps a lot of people feel that way.

Personally, I think that's totally wrong. When I wear suits, even really nice ones, I still feel fake and shallow like I'm putting on a performance. I much prefer just wearing a T-shirt and other casual clothes so I can focus on my actual work instead of whether or not my shoe is shiny enough.

#4 Destin, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  5. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a shopkeeper, my uniform is a polo shirt, so I avoid wearing those when I go out! I like to dress smart if I go out in the evenings because it makes me feel a bit more glamorous and sophisticated than when I'm stacking shelves and counting cash.

6. smurf

Yeah, older generation is stuck in their ways. Managers stuck with an older leadership style are the fucking worst.

Good news is that new companies are having to adapt to our generation. If you can, look for a job that will allow you to dress more relaxed if you feel like it. I'm currently wearing jeans and an untucked polo, but that wouldn't have been possible at my old job where a TIE was required every fucking day. I quit after 3 months of that nonsense.

This new place gets it and I'm staying here for the foreseeable future because of it.

One thing you can do is play with classicism a bit to shut people up.

For example, people love to say "Oh, steve jobs wore the same outfit everyday" which is true, but people forget to mention that his damn turtle neck was designed by Issey Miyake (a famous designer) and costs $270.

You have to do the same thing. Invest some money in really nice polos. This will help you navigate older leadership and will give you more permission to "dress down".

For your jeans, invest money on really nice jeans ($150) and get them taiolred to you.

Shoes and belts! Invest in good quality and those two things will balance a polo and jeans. Sounds silly as fuck, but its sadly the reality of things

I really hope this is true because you are my new hero. This is amazing haha

7. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It does feel liberating and surprisingly comfortable.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I definitely get it.

I'm usually required to wear a dress shirt or suit depending on the day and I hate it.

I'd love to just show up to work in a golf shirt and jeans.