1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there normal gays?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JonathanW, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most common thing someone says when they learn that I’m gay. “Oh I had no idea, I would of never guessed.” Probably because I look like a redneck straight out of “Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil” I was a diesel mechanic and am now a truck driver. I don’t dance. I don’t really scene. I do go to drag shows from time to time because I think they are fun. I like hunting and fishing and monster trucks. I too served in the military and earned a bronze star. I wear work boots jeans and t shirts. So I definitely don’t fit the stereotype.

Stereotypes are created by those who discriminate. Your not alone there are tons of men out there just like you who don’t fit the stereotype. Love life, enjoy life and make it your own. You ain’t gotta fit anyone’s mold.

#21 Poofter, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. jeff192

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here!

Poofter likes this.
  3. arken1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Part of coming out, from what I have learned, is letting go of all these notions of gaydar, scripts for how you or others should act, or guidelines for what you should and shouldn't like. I believe this is all from media, especially TV shows with gay characters, and overall society's lack of education about LGBTQ.

And unfortunately, I think the LGBTQ community suffers from its own stereotypes. Some LGBTQ bully other LGBTQ people for not falling in-line with stereotypes. I think that's wrong.

My personal goal (for myself and really the larger LGBTQ community) is to reach a point where I fully embrace myself as a human, and the fact I'm a man who likes men is merely an attribute of that. It doesn't give our life an overarching definition, but it's simply part of our definition.

bearheart and Poofter like this.