1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of being asked

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayTurtle, May 3, 2019.

1. GayTurtle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In the past, I’ve lied to people numerous times when asked about my sexuality. Only thing is, I’m not sure I can do that anymore, I don’t feel like I can lie about this again. I’m sure I’d just completely freeze up and it’d just kill me. And it feels like there’s no way to not answer the question (“I don’t want to talk about that.”) without immediately giving it away. I’m not ready to come out yet, and I’m terrified of being preemptively outed by an awkward question. Thankfully, it hasn’t come up in years, while I’ve come closer and closer to terms with this. Any advice?

2. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you really don’t want to answer, just shrug and say, “why do you ask that?” Or say outright that it’s a bit of a rude question, “do I ask YOU about your sex life?” (It IS a personal question, after all).

I used to be scared of people asking me that and figuring me out. It still scares me, but the other day someone asked and I answered truthfully for the first time in a long time. You will probably stress over it less the more you accept yourself and the more comfortable you get being who you are. Take care.

jsm, LostJedi and Devil Dave like this.
  3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, fortunately, people seem to ask the question less these days, because more people realise it's not all black and white - not every gay person is out, and asking them directly is very rude. The only people who really need to know your sexual orientation are people you are having sex with, and doctors and nurses who are treating your sexual health.

4. Smidze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Agree 100% with Devil Daves post. In fact you should never feel inferior, ashamed or embarrassed about telling somebody you are gay anyway. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it is totally natural...if somebody has an issue with your sexuality then clearly they are struggling to come to terms with society and the world around them. Their problem to deal with not yours. If you are happy in your life then tough on people who are more bothered about your life than their own.

LostJedi likes this.