1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In limbo...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Out and In, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Out and In

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi and thanks to all who have provided their own insight and advice to my ‘in limbo’ dilemma.
    I would like to say that the last paragraph in the most recent response from PatrickUK was very true.
    After moving out of home for 24 days so that I could reassess, think and heal, my wife unfortunately did not cope as well as I did. She begged me to come home as she was unhappy and distressed about the whole situation and believed I had a responsibility as a husband to work on our marriage rather than running away.
    I really felt sad that my wife was sad and struggling a lot so me being me, I reluctantly returned home two days ago to comfort her despite my reservations and anxiety in returning to the same thing as before.
    My wife told me that I am bisexual and love vagina and breasts which I was quite annoyed about because she was like trying to speak for my own sexuality as if she knew and understood it better than I did.
    I told her in the evening I didn’t really want to come home as I was happy and relaxed where I was staying but only came home to comfort her.
    Did I make the right decision? PatrickUK mentioned I would only prolong the unhappiness by returning home and I believe he is right. I do not really want to fix our marriage let alone ‘try to fix’ my true sexuality as it doesn’t need fixing because it is not broken.
    My wife and I normally would go overseas in June on a holiday and she is asking me can we go somewhere this year but I don’t really want to. I asked her last night how does she know that our relationship will improve between now as it may not improve. Plus I told her I wouldn’t want to go away with her if we don’t have any sex life or intimacy as it currently stands.
    I have slept with her the last two nights but more just to comfort her. I love my wife but not physically, sexually, spiritually or emotionally. I can’t love her the way a straight man can love her. But I care about what she is going through as I know it is not easy on her.
    I even told a close straight female friend at work yesterday I was gay (she was shocked) and that it is causing great unhappiness in my marriage. She was very supportive and understanding as her own mother is a lesbian. A lot of what I told her she could also relate to as her mother experienced very similar experiences and feelings when once married to her father.
    I am really at a point and stage in my life now where I just want to be out as gay to everyone as it will make me so much more happy and at peace.

2. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only you can truly assess your situation but I urge you if you have acknowledged being gay to forego continuing with a sexual relationship with your wife. It will only compound the eventual disasolution of your marriage. I found once I embraced my homosexuality I could not continue in a straight relationship. I wanted out so I could engage in my same sex attraction. Of course it’s hard to see someone you love suffer and be in pain however as a gay man you cannot love her the way she wants you to. If you sacrifice your homosexuality for her happiness I guarantee you will become bitter and resentful. Quickest surgery is sometimes the best. Good luck.

Out and In, swimman68 and Poofter like this.
  3. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it’s subconscious. and Some people are more susceptible to that than others. I can tell you my second marriage was a beautiful thing for the most part. She is still my best friend in life. But once we split and I started living an openly gay life. (I came out to her 7 years before we got divorced) I no longer found even her in any way sexually attractive. I am not repulsed by the female form. I can look at breasts and vaginas and not think anything of it. But it doesn’t spark anything in me.

You see the stereotypical Gay character in a movie who is repulsed by the mention of vagina and I think it effects some subconsciously to believe they must do the same. Just my opinion.

4. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. It is sort of feeding frenzy sometimes. I went to a gay event and a number of guys were so negative about my bisexuality. How could I find women attractive...so gross! I was so embarrassed and left early. My straight friends never behave that way around gay men. They never would mention finding gay sex repulsive.

That said. There is a lot of societal nastiness involving gay sex and plenty of jokes that are OK regarding sexual acts between men as a way to demean them. So, I get the reaction of my gay friends now. It took me a little bit of time to accept and understand that it was a reaction.

I find your attitude very healthy. Sex is beautiful when love is shared. Even if it is not completely fulfilling Recognizing that it was part of an expression of love that should be treasured and not dismissed as a mistake is lovely. You are so lucky to continue to recognize this.

Poofter likes this.
  5. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sorry you had that unfortunate experience. Some folks just gotta create the drama where ever they are. Me being the cornfed country boy I am probably would if stood up for you. I have been known to get myself into situations defending others because I felt they were being treated poorly. We are all human, we are all unique, and we all have our own path to walk. Wether gay, straight, bi, trans, or whatever identifier a person may use. Who are we to judge their path? And why should we show the same nasty persecution to others that we have faced from folks trying to find out own path and be comfortable in our own skin. It just baffles me. I have a friend who is “platinum gay” and he doesn’t express anything like that towards others. I dunno. Maybe it’s because I been to war that I appreciate loving all fellow humans and treating them with respect. I dunno maybe it’s just me.

Probably why I also play a paladin in every DND campaign I have ever played lol.

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thankyou. I really appreciate that you would have taken exception to the behavior that I witnessed. I did go back the next year. In fact, maybe TMI here, but I had an affair with one of the guys that was most vocal. Eventually, these guys accepted my situation. It just took awhile.

Poofter likes this.
  7. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me issue was undesirable as a sexual and romantic partner not as individuals. As I embraced my gay sexuality I did however start to find the female body gross. Perhaps a reaction to compulsory heterosexuality for so many years however I can honestly say while I can acknowledge a beautiful woman I really can’t stand seeing them semi clad or naked. These days I find it disgusting and so foreign. I know it sounds weird but it is how I feel.

Poofter likes this.
  8. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You do you brother! Personally I don’t seek out to seek semi clad or naked women. But it’s not repulsive to me either, and that’s me.

My best friend S is straight and we both had loads that laid us over in the same City. He wanted to go to the strip club and didn’t want to go alone. I went along. What’s funny is I kept putting 5$ bills on the stage in front of him and he would put money in front of me and I would slide it back to his pile. Lol. I talked to the girls about make up of all things. And one asked me dating advice. Lol. But you know I’m the kind of dude, even though I may not be interested in what my friends are. I’ll find a way to make it fun for me. I also hit on one of the bouncers. He played interested for a bit but, he didn’t give up the digits. Eh what can ya do. Anywho.

My biggest point is we shouldn’t belittle our Bisexual friends or straight friends for being sexually into women. When they aren’t digging on us for liking men. Just my two cents man.

9. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well. We each have our own experiences. But, I would ask this question. If a straight guy said he had to leave a beach because he was repulsed at the sight of semi clad males, what would you think of him?

I guess maybe I have such a skewed view as a bisexual. But, I recognize the beauty of a male or a female and just cannot be "grossed out".

My point was, really, that as some of us contemplate leaving our spouses because we realize we are gay that we don't use the tool of recreating history. To say that we never desired our spouses as a coping mechanism for moving on. It is quite alright to say "what we had was great but it is not who I am". It is respectful and it shows that we have valued those relationships. I cannot imagine how a spouse would feel if we really believed, and articulated, that they were disgusting.

swimman68 and Poofter like this.
  10. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @Out and In -
    Of course, the choice is yours. The think I keep thinking of is how I've let things be as they have been, day by day, and now at the age of 60 with a house and 4 kids, I feel a lot more boxed in. It takes courage and clarity, but making changes earlier is much better than delaying. Good luck!

swimman68 likes this.
  11. Out and In

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi... I am not repulsed by breasts or vagina... I just didn’t appreciate my wife telling me that she thinks I love those parts of the female anatomy.
    I absolutely love beautiful attractive women just not in a sexual way.
    When I see a beautiful women I just connect with her femininity as I am very in touch with my feminine side... I want to become her sexually rather than be with her sexually. I guess it explains why I am a submissive bottom when it comes to gay sex.

Poofter and Contented like this.
  12. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely relate and agree with this. I too am a very submissive bottom, but it’s hard to find what your looking for when you look like a dominant top. Hahaha! It’s funny how, many guys start to talk to me, and you see the change in their eyes as they realize.