1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of the term "Queer"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by smurf, Apr 18, 2019.

1. smurf

Okay, before you roll your eyes because this will be the 150th time this thread pops up, hear me out!

I have had conversations about this word many, many times, but yesterday was the first time I found someone breaking down the conversation and giving some historical context to everything that has been going on with the word.

It incredibly well done and I think it touches on every single view on the word from multiple perspectives. My favorite part was learning more about the historical context and the evolution of the word.

For example, I had no idea that the first activist who tried to reclaim the word used this as justification and I find it quite beautiful:

Queer Nation’s pamphlet also explains why they rejected the suggestion of using ‘gay’ as the blanket term for the movement: “Queer, unlike GAY, doesn’t mean MALE. And when spoken to other gays and lesbians it's a way of suggesting we close ranks, and forget (temporarily) our individual differences because we face a more insidious common enemy.

Check it out if you want to have a better understanding of the word that for many is either amazing or the worst thing to ever happen

"Strange or obtuse; a stinging homophobic slur; a radical political rejection of normativity; a broad term encompassing every and any variation on sexual orientation and gender identity: the word 'queer' has a multifarious past and complicated present. This is just a fraction of it."

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/nancy-podcast-word-queer-allusionist

#1 smurf, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still dislike it. Regardless of the history it doesn't make sense to use what mainstream society considers a undeniably negative word as a title for ourselves.

3. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly like it because it’s easier saying “LGBT” and I get uncomfortable saying “gay” or “lesbian” talking about things like dating because it leaves out pan and bi women. Especially since the person who I go to the most for support and advice in real life about all of this is a pan woman in a lesbian marriage. That’s made me not want to use exclusionary language.

If there were another word that encompassed our whole community that was easy to say, that’s be great. I get that it makes some people uncomfortable though. I try to not use it if I know it bothers someone.

#3 Unsure77, Apr 18, 2019
  4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still doesn't work for me. I've heard many people talk about reclaiming the word and using various arguments to support the notion of reclaiming, but none of them have been compelling enough to persuade me that it's anything other than offensive and derogatory. I remain of the opinion that using the word justifies it in the mind of idiots who would use it against us.

5. smurf

Yes! Its incredibly useful.

If you search for groups or people around your area that identify as queer, you know for sure where they stand when it comes to trans people, different genders, different sexuality, and you get a good guess at their politics.

If an organization doesn't use queer then I always have to second guess where they stand on certain issues.

Way easier to find "my people" in many ways.

6. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally like the word queer and use it a lot to self-refer when I do not want to have to go through the trouble of having to explain my sexuality.

I understand why some people don't like it, especially if the word was once used against them but I think nowadays the word "queer" allow people to label themselves as non-hetetonormative without having to fit any of the main labels (which may or may not fully suit some people).

Also I haven't heard anyone use queer as an insult at all in recent years and I feel it's partly because the word has been reclaimed so queer can't really be seen as an insult by people who identify with it? I wouldn't find someone calling me queer insulting but factual for example.

#6 Lin1, Apr 18, 2019
  7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a fan, personally. For some reason, it feels more "open", than many other words.

Words like "gay" can sometimes come across like they're more about who you want a relationship or sex with.
    Queer almost feels like it means "proudly an outsider in some ways". Almost an invitation to get to know more.

Then again, that's what it's mostly down to, isn't it? The immediate emotional reaction you have to a word. And a lot of that comes from your background.
    I'm not a native English speaker. So I was never exposed to the original negative connotations. When I first heard the word, it was already in its "reclaimed" use. As opposed to "gay", it's also not something you could use as a slur in my native Dutch.

So it makes sense that it evokes different reactions with different people.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I acknowledge the limitations of LGBT (or LGBTQSBVHIEPSRNBESXWAQD or whatever the acronym is this week), I just can't get on board with "queer". I'm not comfortable being defined as "suspicious; of questionable character; "insane"; "mentally unbalanced"; "worthless" or "counterfeit". (All are definitions for the word "queer" according to various dictionaries.)

I get that people are trying to retake a word for their own. I also get they're trying to come up with one word for a bunch of things that are for the most part unrelated (i.e., beyond LGB). I'm just not down to take on a word with so many negative connotations. Personally I'd much rather be "a bundle of sticks" (faggot) than the above terms.

9. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I learnt the word "queer" as of-suspicious character or strange before I learnt of it's usage in the LGBT community. That's one major reason why, while I use the word here on EC, I don't like to use it outside anywhere else.

10. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tbh i never use it, not really a fan of the way it sounds.

11. smurf

Right?

It would be the most hilarious thing if someone screamed the word queer to me now. It would be so bizarre since yeah...correct? lol

I love that view on it. Its what draws me too :slight_smile:

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It speaks for the voiceless

13. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been called that in both a derogatory and complimentary way. Personally I don't use it myself in conversation but neither am I offended if others use it. I suppose it depends on how the term is used.

14. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually think that's what I am. Still thinking about it, I've not made a decision yet, but queer will probably replace bisexual for me in the future. I really don't like the word bisexual. And I'm not gay. And I don't fit in boxes. And I have no desire to fit in them.

I think queer is not a synonym for LGBT+ though.

Queer for me also means 'not interested in adapting as much as possible to the heteronormative world around me, taking the right to be myself as much as possible, of course with respect to the people and world around me'.

I think lots of LGBT+ people do want to fit in the heteronormative society as much as they possibly can. I can imagine those people do not want to be called queer.

15. GayTurtle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, I hadn't realized there would be such split opinions about this question. I've only ever heard the word used by people using it to describe themselves, never as an insult, so my gut reaction to the word is positive as well. It seems like different peoples' personal experiences with the word are very divergent.

16. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love it. I love that the word is being reclaimed and 100% support that. For me it’s in inclusive word that represents more than just sexuality but also a political identity. For me being queer is a way of life that strongly resonates with me.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still don’t understand exactly what it means..

18. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i really dont care either way. i choose personally not to use it, just because a part of me feels bad about using any slur at all, even if it "applies" to me. i understand that some people want to reclaim it and have, it just makes me kind of uncomfortable. i dont mind too much if other people use it, though. (as long as its not in a insulting way)

my experiences with the word have always been negative, so thats probably why i think about it in a negative way.

19. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in my 40s, I'm sure when I was at school especially middle school age 11 to 13 the word queer was often used more than other terms.
    While I was closeted I didn't give any of the terms much thought. But now I'm out and mix with the community it has got me thinking.
    I said to my dad oh I went to my LGBTQ group, he didn't seem to know what it meant, his mid 70s so I literally had to spell it out!
    The word queer a few people at groups I go to identify as queer. I've always been uncomfortable with the term and prefer gay. But my view is slipping and I quite like the term now.
    No labels are easy for me. But I was closeted till age 42 and it's been a steep learning curve but what an amazing, liberating journey I've had!

20. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like the word queer because it put us all together. Unity is strength, divided we fall.