1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bipolar diagnosis

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SomecallhimTim, Apr 8, 2019.

1. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw my therapist today and while she said she can’t be totally certain since I’ve only had one full on hypomanic episode and I wasn’t seeing her at the time, she thinks I most likely have bipolar type 2. I was kind of expecting that would be my eventual diagnosis but I still wasn’t totally prepared to hear it, I think. I don’t know how I feel about it exactly. I don’t really have a question, just shouting into the void I guess. Thanks for listening

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not really as big of a deal as some people make it out to be, there are so many medications for it that you can definitely still have a normal quality of life. It's really common too, so people understand and empathize with the issues that can come from it in social situations. You're still the same person you were before, so nothing has really changed in the grand scheme of things.

3. Chaosbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can take a while to finally accept the diagnosis and receive proper treatment. I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 back in 2012 and it took a really bad manic episode (almost ended up in the hospital) to come to my senses and finally buckle down and find a good med combination. Therapy is supposed to help but I never really found it helpful since I'm not really ready to deal with some deep rooted issues, that I'm sure have nothing to do with the bipolar.

I actually found out today that my doctor went on personal leave and they aren't sure he's going to come back. I'm already feeling my mood shifting (I usually get hypomanic in the spring) and I don't have anyone to adjust my meds. The wife and I finally decided that I should start looking for a new doctor, which means I would have to change clinics, and I already feel overwhelmed.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know you're not alone and if you need to talk hit me up.

4. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not alone! I was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 back in 2010, and have been on so many different medications, but seem to finally be on the correct mix and dosages. For a few years, I was only on mood stabilizers, which seemed to work well. But following a depressive phase, I was put back on antidepressants that have worked for me previously. It'll take a few weeks to fully work, but I'm already feeling better. I'm due to see my psychiatrist again later this month, to check that I'm coping better and for possible adjustments if nothing much has changed (Unlikely, since I'm feeling a bit better now).

A bipolar diagnosis isn't something that we like to hear, but as has been said above, it's not the end of the world. With the right dose and type of meds, you can live a pretty normal, well functioning life. May I suggest additional therapy other than your psychiatrist? It's worked well for me. It's different than sessions with my psychiatrist, because there's not that option of pulling the prescription pad closer, it's just talk therapy. I stopped seeing her after a few sessions because I felt it was no longer necessary, but I know where to reach her should I need to again.

5. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was diagnosed as bipolar type 2 a year ago. When they said those words I was like come on, get real! Then they handed me a booklet and I read up on it. Everything in there were things I’d dealt with and some had the hardest times trying to explain. I felt good knowing that now I knew what it was and could work towards getting a handle on it. It took several months to find the right medications. I’m very vocal when it comes to my health so if I was having a side affect I didn’t like, I’d say so. Or if the medication wasn’t working I’d tell them that as well. But I finally found the right fit, with that and therapy I actually feel like I’m getting a better handle on my life. More so than ever before. Like it’s been said, your not alone :slight_smile: trust the process and don’t be afraid to speak up.

6. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for your kind words. I’m in talk therapy right now but it’s through my university so once summer starts I’ll be on my own for a while. I’m not currently on medication for it and I’m not sure if I want to be, I’ve heard a lot about really nasty side effects from mod stabilizers especially. Have any of you had issues with that? I’m a theatre artist and I’ve heard that they can dampen creativity, which would be pretty bad for me if it happened. Is that something that really happens though? I don’t know that much about it

7. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn’t happy with mood stabilize side effects when I did research. I tried a couple and one worked well for mood but caused me to shake bad so that was a no go. The other didn’t work at all. I actually don’t treat mine with mood stabilizers at all I use other medications and they are working great :slight_smile: I will tell you when now that I’m in a better place I am able to focus more. Before I’d become over whelemd with one minor issue and not be able to complete things but now I’m pretty balanced.

#7 I'mStillStanding, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The mood stabilizers I'm on is also generally used for epilepsy. I don't suffer from epilepsy but they seem to do a good job with minimal side effects. Of course each person reacts differently to the same medications, but I didn't really have any serious side effects, or side effects that was uncomfortable/hard to deal with.

I'm on Epilizine, Epitec and then more specifically for bipolar disorder, Risnia. Then of course I have the re-prescribed anitdepressants (Wellbutrin xl). I also take thyroid meds, a contraceptive and antihistamine daily. It's a lot of pills, but I've grown used to it by now. Anything that helps me lead a normal-ish life is great I guess, lol.

#8 Ruby Dragon, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was diagnosed with bipolar type 1 a little over a year ago. I knew that there was something up with me, but I just never knew what was going on. It was tough for me to hear it was this, because I had only heard negative stories about it. So, I thought that I was just never going to be stable at all. It can be a pain finding the right medications. I at the current moment am on a couple of mood stabilizers. It is interesting that these often function as anti seizure medications as well, the brain is a weird thing. It can take a while to get used to taking all of the medications. There are some days where I still have to think about taking all of it. But I have been doing a lot better overall. If you start taking a new med and notice that things are getting worse, let your doctor know asap. I recently had a switch and it did not go well at all and I almost ended up hospitalized.