1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about going to Pride for the first time

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NotQuiteANerd97, Apr 4, 2019.

1. NotQuiteANerd97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There’ll be a Pride festival in my city this weekend at a local park. I’ve never really been to any LGBT event and I’m not sure what to expect. I’m not much of a party type (although I’ve been to a few music festivals) and due to my usual appearance and presentation, people always assume I’m straight. Not to mention I’ve dealt with practically none of the adversity that a lot of queer people face. My main concern here is whether or not I’ll fit in. I’m really curious about what it’s like which makes me wanna go, but I’m not 100% sure if it’s my thing. Guess the only way I’ll know will be to check it out. I’ll most likely be going alone, but that’s honestly not a problem for me. Has anyone had a similar experience to mine when it comes to events like this? Any advice on what to bring/wear/do?

2. smurf

Yep, I remember my first pride event being the most terrifying thing ever. Fuck I wanted to go bad but also was so nervous and I was sure I would hate it. I mean, why would I go hang out with "those" people who are always being portrayed as half naked and scandalous at prides, right?

Turns out its nothing like you see on tv. Straight people just like a good headline.

It honestly usually feels like a really big farmers market. The only difference is that there will be A LOT of rainbows, drag queens and some shirtless people here and there. Other than that, you will be surprised at just how boring it all is.

Best thing is being completely surrounded by other lgbt people. Have you ever been with thousands upon thousands of other lgbt people at once? Its a feeling that is hard to explain. I would definitely give it a go. If you don't like it, then you can always just leave after an hour or so.

Music festivals are 100% more wild and more of a party than most pride festivals I have been. Hell, the one in phoenix allows kids under 12 years of age.

I would push against this a bit. You probably mean that you were lucky enough to not be beat up, kicked out or maybe even bullied, but you are still here with anxiety over going to an event. Where do you think that comes from?

You want to go to this festival for the same reason that thousands of other lgbt in your community will show up. You are all looking to fit into this weird queer family of ours.

Welcome. All you have to do is show up and BAM you fit in. Promise :slight_smile:

3. NotQuiteANerd97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was really reassuring. I have a hunch I’ll like it. Honestly the anxiety is something I experience with a lot of stuff that’s new to me, particularly social stuff. Thanks a lot for the input!

4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly I think you should totally go! I understand the social anxiety aspect a lot. Large events can make me feel ill at ease as well. However, it sounds like a lot of fun, so I would try to go if you want to. You can always leave if it gets to be too overwhelming and you don’t have to stay for a long time if you aren’t having fun. But I recommend trying. :slight_smile:

5. NotQuiteANerd97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, may as well update and say that I went! It was an interesting experience to see a good chunk of the LGBT community in one place, although I’m sure a lot of straight people were there. It was pretty busy and unfortunately I didn’t talk to many people outside of booths but overall I enjoyed it. That being said I’d probably enjoy it more with a friend. Unfortunately none of mine were available, but we’ll see about next time.

6. smurf

Go you for going! I know that can take a lot of guts to show up.

Was there anything that caught you by surprise? How did it stand against your expectations?

Yeah, defnitely a cool group activity.

If in the future you can't find a friend to go with you, feel free to volunteer with one of the lgbt orgs there. You will be able to talk to SOOO many people, meet the people you are volunteering with, and you help a good cause. Most nonprofit booths you saw there are mostly staffed by volunteers.

Glad you had a good experience from the sounds of it!

7. NotQuiteANerd97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly it was close to what I expected. Not the total sleazy caricature the media paints it as, nor was it all that farmer’s market-esque. It was in a good middle zone. Overall, it was a good time that will only get better from here.