1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my kids be not straight too?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Butterfly6, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Butterfly6

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm definitely not straight and have 3 beautiful kids. 2 girls and 1 boy, I was wondering if because of my identity are my kids more inclined to be also identity as not straight?

2. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there’s some speculation that there’s some genetics involved in homosexuality. But if you think about it, a lot of us have straight parents. And there are people on the Late in Life board with straight kids. So, probably no guarantees one way or the other.

3. savethewhales

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it will happen or not for them and either way, they'll grow up under your example to see that its okay and normal to not be straight if that is how they identify. I like to hope that when that time comes our society will completely be there anyway :slight_smile:

4. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People have been trying for decades to answer this question, and it's still fuzzy.

Imagine it this way: suppose you asked "Is there spinach between my teeth?" and somebody looked and looked and finally said "Hard to tell." You would still not know for sure but there's probably just not much there.

In other words, you just can't tell until they do.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There appears to be some heritable aspect to homosexuality, but it's not proven. A couple of examples:

-- One friend who is gay, has a sister, who is also gay. They are the only two children in the family.

-- My aunt and uncle had three kids. Two of them are gay.

Statistically, if 5 to 10% of the population is gay (those are the numbers that seem to be floated) one would not expect 3 out of 10 grandkids to be gay (in my case,) or 2 out of 2 (in my friend's case). So there appears, at least from a correlative perspective, that there's some sort of heritable characteristic. But as far as I know, no one has been able to pin anything down.

6. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I read, it’s so much genetics as it is the level of certain hormones that the embryo gets exposed to in the womb. There’s no way of knowing how your kids would turn out - we just don’t have enough information on the causation of sexual orientation to speculate.