1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello friends or “Mama, is that because you’re *GAY*?”

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Mar 20, 2019.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi friends,

How’s everyone doing? I am writing because I have some updates and I want insight too, on a couple of things :grin: I have a crazy schedule lately so I’ve sort of accumulated my things I want to write rather than being able to write as they come up.

So general updates - life for my little wee monkey is great (my daughter). The background for those who don’t know, we were building a life/living with with a woman I was in a relationship with and her 2 boys for about a year and few months and then she kicked us out with pretty much a matter of days to find a place... anyway now we live near her dad and her school and close to all her best friends. She id really happy and secure, I think she’s benefitted from it being just us, and she and I have been talking quite a lot about all the changes, the recent ones (moving out from ex girlfriend’s) and the older ones, splitting up from her dad. I’m feeling good about how she’s doing, and I’m having SO much fun with her. Oh and speaking of my daughter, we continue to have very frank conversations about me being gay and non binary, hence the title... I put up some lesbian art in my room, pretty PG, just 2 women kissing, she said mama why did you want that up in your room? Is it because you’re GAY? Big emphasis on the word gay. When I nearly fell on the floor laughing, she repeated it with additional effect on the word gay, ha. I said yes honey, that’s exactly why, isn’t it a beautiful picture? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m still seeing this new woman. This is such a liberating relationship, my girlfriend and I are so communicative and honest and supportive of eachother’s needs and emotional processes. She and I have talked about no expectations for future because it’s so important not to be in that space right now, but if it were to happen what it might look like, about the importance of each of our own healing paths and headspace, we support eachother’s balance in our life things, and she and I have lots of plans to experiment sexually with lots of things...we’ve also talked about how we might invite other women into our sex life. Mostly because I told her I’m not done exploring being with other women. It’s so healthy, so beautiful, and she’s so wonderful.

Myself - I’m feeling so good about my identity and my expression and my own life balance. I’m in a really good place in every way.

I feel so good about the time I get to work on my own needs, be with my daughter (and the shape of mine and my daughter's life and all the dynamics we’ve built) be with friends, be with my girlfriend, I love my work (in a queer role in a queer organisation), and I love running my lgbtq group.

Here’s my questions...

As I have been for a while, I’m working a lot on the language I use to express my gender identity. I’m already in a really great place with clothes and hair. I know I will likely bind sometimes but I generally love the way I wear my shirts and how that expresses my chest exactly as I want, I’m thinking about wearing a packer sometimes, my girlfriend and I are excited about me wearing a strap-on :wink:, hmm, but I really feel a need to get the language for my non binary and lesbian identity to mesh better together. I love the terms dyke, butch, lesbian, gay, genderqueer, non binary (and enbie), trans masc, but I actual wish there was a more descriptive term to describe the dual (rather than neutral) nature of my gender, and if there were other terms that were not so neutral, but dual in description, I feel like I would like them better, terms for partner/girlfriend, woman man person. I jokingly call myself a wo/man and my girlfriend calls me to others, her babe :slight_smile: and just to me, her butch bitch :slight_smile:, I’m just working on this stuff and not sure how to do what feels more natural to me. Anyone have thoughts?

The other question... so I have been broken up with ex since October (officially November, but truly Oct), she and I left things on pretty good terms, mostly because I’m kind and that’s what I do, I do positivity. But I have this nagging feeling, that I don’t feel good that she’s walked away feeling what she’s done is ok, she was a terrible partner, she dragged me through the mud for a year and she wasn’t good enough to my daughter and she kicked us out of our home, creating massive instability for my daughter. I go back and forth from thinking about a coded but sort of subtle Facebook message to shame her (were not friends on Facebook but a few of her family members are on my Facebook), to thinking I want to write an honest message to her, to thinking nopelet it go, take the high road. But it doesn’t go away, this nagging feeling... does anyone have thoughts on this?

Anyway, I miss being on here, I keep lurking and post sometimes. I hope you’re all doing well <3

#1 baristajedi, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Mihael and beenthrdonetht like this.
  2. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi baristajedi, I don't come on here very often, but I seem to remember we joined about the same time. I'm glad you and your daughter are in a good place right now, and that you are able to talk so frankly and comfortably with each other.

I can definitely understand (and relate to) your feeling of unfinished business with your ex, it sounds like you have been left with feelings of anger towards her, which you didn't let her know at the time, because you wanted the breakup to go as smoothly as possible for all concerned, especially your daughter. I would strongly advise against making your feelings known via FaceBook, because regardless of the rights and wrongs of her behaviour, you risk alienating firstly her family members (who might then become very aggressive and unpleasant towards you), and secondly, any of your other friends who feel that FaceBook is not the appropriate place to "wash your dirty linen in public." You might feel better to begin with because it has enabled you to get everything off your chest, but how would you feel if the end result was that you lost friends?

If it was me, I would be tempted to talk over the issue with a therapist of some sort, and if it was then agreed that letting your ex know of your feelings was the appropriate course of action, a personal message, or letter delivered to her house, might be the way forward.

Peterpangirl likes this.
  3. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to last part on wanting to expose hurtful behaviour: I feel that too. But I also wonder what it would achieve? I like that you can express yourself so humorously through sexuality. All that has gone out of the window due to the complexities of my current relationship - I need to repress that side of me for good reason.

#3 Peterpangirl, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  4. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this is wise advice. Be wary of doing anything that could end up hurting you.

5. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my ex-bf and I broke up just over three years ago now, I realised that he'd been less than honest with me about a few things. How he really felt about me was one of them, and how he'd happily let me think from what he said and how he behaved that we'd be together for the long term.
    He was, essentially, a closted coward. Out to his friends, and some of his family, but not to his parents therefore, I would never be publicly recognised as more than his friend and, even then, likely never meet these people as he was terrified how they'd react.

When we split - it was at my instigation that he go and have a think about what he wanted from 'us' - he basically just ran away and refused to engage after we'd had the distressing for both of us conversation that he didn't think he could give me what I wanted. No explanation, no reasons, and to be fair I was too numb to ask at the time, even when the next day I asked if we could talk it over (like adults!?).

That lack of closure for me affected me for weeks, and months. I had come to terms with it ending, as I hadn't been happy at the way he had treated me or behaved, but the lack of knowing the 'why' he'd done what he'd done, really ate away at me for a long time. It created a big trust issue for me and one that I'm only now, two years into a relationship, feeling like i can properly trust my fiance that what he's telling me is how he feels.

I wanted to shame him - and boy, I could've shamed him. But all I wanted really was a face to face talk with him. In the last three years, I've seen him in passing twice (he hasn't seen me), and another time on the opposite side of the road when he was with a friend, and waved. We've not spoken in that time and, if I'm absolutely honest: there are times when I miss his humour and the 'good times' we had. He was never going to be right for me long term and I see that. But as a friend, I do miss him at times.

It's natural for us to feel slighted, and angry at the actions of others. But we can't control someone else, only our own reactions to others actions. It might make you feel better to strike out and 'get one back' on her. But you are happy in the relationship you are in and things seem to be going well for you in all the other areas of your life too.

You're still giving her power by feeling the way you do about the situation. Does she deserve that level of power you're giving her? The guy who triggered my coming out held a lot of power over me for a long time, until I finally came to terms with what he was and it was if a light-switch had gone off. I decided he wasn't going to make me feel the way he'd made me feel for a long time. I decided that I was better than him, that he was welcome to his seedy, narcissistic life, and trying to manipulate others to make himself feel good.

You've got that power to ignore her and the bitterness she makes you feel will, in time, disappear.

Landgirl likes this.