1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

useless university majors

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by faultyink, Mar 19, 2019.

1. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    what did you study in university, or what are you currently studying? i'm going to university in august and im terrified that i'll choose the wrong thing to study and regret it for the rest of my life D: i hear a lot that majors like fine arts, psychology and pretty much any bachelor of arts program is useless. so what am i to do??? do any of you have any stories about what you studied/where you are now that you might be able to share? i'm considering going into social work to help lgbt youth or something like that, or fine arts to become an art director or graphic designer (completely different i know : P) anyway replies are much appreciated!! but please dont be super negative because thats just not beneficial to anyone...

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took a theatre program (primarily for all the backstage stuff). Unless you know someone who's willing to hire or you live in a bigger city it might be worth it, but for me, it just wasn't feasible, especially since it was all part-time, temporary stuff. I was considering graphic design as well, but from the University courses around here, there was an actual program just for it. I would look more into a Fine Arts degree/diploma and see what you can do with it, or if there's another program that's more directly related to graphic design, if you're considering that. I would also look at where the work is in your area, and who employers are looking for.

3. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There. Are. No. Useless. Majors.

To put it bluntly, the people that claim arts and soft sciences are useless majors are typically people with STEM majors. That's not a bash against all STEM majors, but more often than not, the people who I see doing the bashing happen to be STEM majors. The guideline they use for how "useful" a major is revolves around: money and job availability.

When you're in college you should go for something you love and enjoy not just the thing that will make you the most money. Do something that you will actually find fulfilling. Although, you should also consider your future and what you can do with your degree.
    • Social work: I will be perfectly honest that social work does not pay great, but I volunteer with foster youth through a program at my university and it's incredibly rewarding. Social work is exhausting and draining but if you feel passionate about it? Go for it! Job availability is great (assuming that you're in the States)!
    • Art/Graphic Designer: If you love art and think you can make a career out of it, go for it! Although, the tricky thing with art is that job availability is sparse depending on your geographic location, so you'd have to factor in that.

Personally, I'm on track to finish my Secondary Ed--English degree in May which is essentially a high school English teacher. I am well aware that my major does not pay the best, but I'm student teaching now and last Friday when I had to be at a mandatory conference I legitimately missed my kids. I enjoy what I do. The English part of my degree? It's helped me somewhat with my other career goals of being an author.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn’t go to university. I went to a community college and then transferred to another community college for the current program that I’m in. I am currently studying court reporting.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well said.

Some courses are useless... to who? To the industry? To a certain area/person? What is the measure someone is using when they say a course is "useless"?

Like Chierro said, of course, it is important to have a clear plan for your future, and how you are going to eat and sustain yourself needs to be a part of that plan. However, I think it isn't worth it to sacrifice yourself for a work you don't like just because it pays more.

I study education. In Brazil, this area pays low salaries (unless you are lucky to find a good spot in an university) and we are currently under attack by the ideas spread by the government (long story...). So, yeah, not an easy path. However, that's what I love, and I wouldn't feel fulfilled in another area. My father wanted me to become a lawyer or a medic, which are interesting professions, but I'm not passionate about these themes.

Again, I'm not trying to give you a general and emotional speech about how love in your work is the only thing that matters. It isn't - you need to eat, and thus, money needs to be a part of your planning too. However, it is not everything, and I think calling a major "useless" is often based either on prejudice and ignorance against the subject or based only in the money involved, which is just one of the things you need to worry about when deciding about a course.

Besides... things change over time, and you might move to different places in the future. Thus, choosing a course based solely in what is paying more in your area may not be a great idea, since things in your life may change and give you new opportunities.

#5 Chiroptera, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would suggest looking at what you want to do after you get out of school, then see what kind of education that field requires. That way you aren't spending money on classes you don't need.

Education pays crap in the US unless you get in at a fancy private school or a major university. My wife has a Masters in special education and is the head of the special education department at the high school. I made ten grand more last year staring out the windshield of a truck and don't have a mountain of debt from student loans.

My brother in-law has his degree in computer programing, and can't find a job because the market is flooded with people who have the same degree and looking for the same jobs.

I wouldn't say that some degrees are useless, but some of them have so many people with the degree that the job market is flooded with people all looking for jobs that don't come up very often. Which kind of makes them useless if you can never get a job because you and a hundred other people all apply for the same job.

7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, yeah, let's try and not bash education majors and teachers. Thanks. Money isn't everything.

8. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there are actual useless majors, though some degrees are more needed than others.

I think the actual problem is that we are a generation that is over "certified".

It of course depends by countries, but where I am from (Western Europe) University is less than 300$ a year so 99% of people go to university, and therefore every year you have thousands of students graduating with the same qualifications, the same (lack of) work experience from the same Universities. Unlike our parents or grandparents where making it to Uni was rare, making a degree special and pretty much guaranteeing you a job, degrees now are the norm and therefore you might have a business degree and find yourself fighting over a cashier job at Walmart because thousands and thousands of others have the same degrees, and you actually might find yourself being managed by someone who doesn't have a degree but has actual work experience in the field.

In fact I would make it a priority to NOT make university and your degree the be all and end all of your career (unless you plan on being a doctor or working in a field where a degree is mandatory and of actual value) and put work experience at the forefront as that is what will set you aside from other candidates/graduate.

I started university but realized it wasn't for me and travelled instead, working abroad and volunteering in different fields. I have learned several languages on the way and while I don't actually have a degree, I also don't have a problem finding a job, has recruiters value my language skills as well as my work experience in different skills and adaptability. I actually have much more experience and therefore often much more value to a recruiter than a freshly graduated student who has never actually done anywork in the field and only know theory.

Not saying degrees can't be of value and a bonus, but truth is no matter what degree you get, a recruiter will read the resume of a 100 person with the exact same degree as a you for each job post he bothers to advertise in your field, it won't set you aside, but any effort you've put outside of your degree WILL.

So go for what you are passionate about but don't stick to theory: Volunteer, work, take on additional classes from a similar field to increase your value in the eyes of a recruiter and show that not only are you motivated and have a degree but also have hand-on experience to go with it.

#8 Lin1, Mar 19, 2019
  9. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have worked as a teacher and it's true that it's an underpaid, under-appreciated job, requiring quite a lot of hours and quite a strong mental/high-stress tolerance (especially if working with older kids). I don't think it's bashing to state that, and while it's very much true that money isn't everything, plenty of teachers are abandonning the field as the mental toll isn't worth it to them considering they still are struggling to make ends meet at the end of the month.

I think if someone was to tell me they wanted to work with children but also told me they wanted a comfortable lifestyle, education and teaching wouldn't be my recommendation and I would probably suggest similar degrees that would bring in more money for similar rewards (helping kids).

I have a friend who is a social worker, she does an AMAZING job helping teenagers get their life back on track and is very passionate about her job but she earns 20 000$/year IN THE BAY AREA where 100k is considered low-income. Sigh. Some jobs just aren't valued and while she LOVES her job she is very much conscious that it's not very sustainable long-term. It actually frustrates me how little those jobs are rewarded financially when they are so very much needed. So while being a social worker (or teacher) is very rewarding emotionally and a very noble job, it just wouldn't be the right path for someone who doesn't want to have to count pennies at the end of the month.

I guess OP just have to figure what she values most and find a compromise between a job she loves and a job that provides her with the lifestyle she wants.

#9 Lin1, Mar 19, 2019
  10. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Economics. It’s pretty much the middle ground between business and social science degrees while still qualifying you for most positions in both realms.

Sorry but that logic only applies to students who are there on a scholarship or their parents are paying for it. While no major is useless in the fact that it does teach you about the topic you wanted to learn, at least half are quite useless in the real world for getting a job. Good luck paying off $50,000 in debt with a degree in history or anthropology unless you go on to law school or something like that.

The “money isn’t everything” argument assumes that there is some livable baseline income everyone will get just from having a degree, which isn’t true. Many people with degrees deemed not valuable in the work force end up in the same $20,000 job they could have gotten without a degree, but with crippling debt on top of it.

11. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apparently in the Northwest Territories (I live in Canada) social workers can make up to 80k per year so if I do choose to go the social worker route I'd probably just move there...also the government gives you money to live there because the cost of living is quite high so I guess if I can make a decent living there I'd do it. It's just I dont have many better options because I've already applied to university and havent been accepted to fine arts (my second option) yet so being a social worker is the main possibility. Don't get be wrong, I'm really passionate about that field of work and super excited to possibly work in that field, I'm just scared I'll be horribly underpaid lol.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When it comes to an education, it really depends on what you make of it, and with it. An education provides you with basic skills, and knowledge. The 'real' learning begins on the job and/or throughout your experiences. Social Sciences fields, including Anthropology and History, actually do provide someone with a range of transferable skills that are applicable to a wide range of occupations and can be the base for future studies or pursuing graduate studies if one wishes to do so, potentially opening more specific career options or leading to further study, professional development options.

One thing to be mindful of is not to pursue a career or a job because of the money or the amount of money one could earn or 'this is what is in demand, and therefore I need to do it." There are a lot of people who are depressed because they have chosen a job because of the money, status, or economic well being rather than based on what they really wanted to do. Yes, one needs an income that will support one, including their living expenses, but if someone goes into a job knowing that this is the income that it pays, most often than not, people will make adjustments and make the choices that come with it. Plus, if you do something that you don't like doing in the first place, it will show in how you approach your goals, and indeed how you approach and perform on your job. Your body language and how engaged you are will tell the story.

Just recently, I saw a documentary about a worker, who chose his field based on 'popularity', money, and 'this is where people got a job.' The problem? The worker became depressed even though he had everything that he could have asked for. He quite his well paying job to work in a grocery store. He had to change his lifestyle, move to a smaller apartment, downsize, and start living frugally but the end result was that he is happy, no longer depressed because he is doing something that he enjoys: helping people, talking with people, and just having a 'regular job.' In other words, you don't want to be in a job or career field where you drag your foot into the door every morning because at the end you might actually do more harm to your mental well being, than having chosen something different.

To the OP: Pursue something where you see yourself in, where you feel that this would be a good fit for you. If you enjoy working with the LGBTQ population, and you can see yourself working as a Social Worker, I'd say go for for it! Similarly for graphic design, or being an art director. Try to do a bit more research on the three occupations, and ask yourself, which one speaks more to you? Is there something that attracts you to it, more than something else? If you can, try to speak with a few people working in these occupations or related occupations - sometimes a career counsellor at school can help you to arrange some meetings with professionals where you could ask some questions about the occupations as well as on how they got started, what did they do to prepare for their jobs, careers.

Another thing to consider is that sometimes, people will pursue one education, only to end up in an occupation they never thought about before starting their education. Things can always change - something to be aware about.

At the end of the day, your success will in large part depend on how well you are prepared for taking the first steps into your field. You might need to be mobile, might need to be willing to move to another location. If you are pursuing Social Work, you will need to register with the appropriate Provincial or Territorial College of Social Workers, and if you move to another Province, you will need to re-register, but if you are willing to do that, you are set. Your first pay cheque might not be the largest you have ever taken home, but as you progress in your career, pursue opportunities, this might change.

And indeed, some employers will pay more, to attract workers to rural or more remote locations. If you are okay with that, then that's something further to keep in mind when making your choices. :slight_smile:

13. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What you think you might do vs. the reality is often different. The names of the job you qualify in the field of choice don't tell you everything you should know before jumping in.

I'm curently in Architecture. I chose it because I liked art related things. Since it's being said that architecture is baisically art, I jumped right in. I thought, "If I liked art, therefore I'm going to like whatever I had to do". I was dead wrong. Architecture did indeed had similar aspects as art, but it felt so different from painting a picture. The projects given were really long and grueling. To withstand the pressure, I think one has to like it enough to see the fun parts of it.

This year, I'm taking a year off from school to rethink about my future. It's not like I chose this field at the last minute before application deadline--I kind of wanted to do it since childhood. One needs to take enough consideration and actual firsthand experience that lasts more than a few days (if you can) before jumping in.

Do a good research on what the experience is actually like. Experience beforehand is the best way to go.

14. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm taking a year off as well! Actually last semester I took a few extra courses in my high school to help me decide on what to study in university and I'm not sure how much it helped :/ so I guess I'm taking more of a half year off rather than a full year. Anyway best of luck to you on deciding on what you want to study!!

#14 faultyink, Mar 19, 2019
  15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A few of my thoughts for whatever they are worth...

First, it's not unusual to be unsure of direction when going to college. Some people know exactly, of course, what to study and what they want to do. But many others have no idea. Or they start college with one plan, and decide they want to do study/do something else. And some even have an idea, but find that the end goal is a bit different.

And--we might as well be honest about this--there are some people who never really get any direction past just obtaining a degree. That is probably not the best idea in a situation where there is a mountain of debt, of course. But I'll never forget overhearing a young woman in one of my college classes tell someone that she'd declared a major in sociology, and the reason--the only reason--was that it was a viable choice for being able to complete a degree reasonably quickly

Thought #2...at least here in the US, one can potentially pursue more than one path. One might graduate, say, with a major that is easily marketable, and also either second major, a minor, or just extensive study in a field that is of more personal interest.

Interestingly, one former classmate of mine has, from what I know, done well in the real world. I'm not sure he's rich (the unfortunate idea of "doing well" for many people), but I'm sure he lives more than comfortably, and does something that could be interesting. I think he's respected in his field, and his name will turn up with a Google search. Interestingly, while his college degree helped him get where he is now, he apparently found value in totally unrelated (and even hard to market) studies. (He's even publicly said this.)

One final thought: there is always the possibility down the road of returning to school and changing life direction later on. That can be painful to contemplate...but it does happen. In many cases, of course, it may be about staying in a given field, but trying to get a different position. (I saw that one in high school, when one teacher went back to school so he could go into counseling. Apparently he couldn't face teaching any more, but wanted to continue working in schools in order to get his full retirement.) Sometimes people even totally change fields.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure there’s any useless majors, but if you’re going into a major without a high pay potential, you should probably not go to a private school that will out you into debt for the rest of your life. Just be smart. Community college ftw.

And to completely answer your question, I studied biochem. I am in grad school.

#16 Austin, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  17. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took digital arts as a major, which didn't really get me anywhere. It's partly my fault, and partly the university's fault (I'm not placing the entire blame on the uni and teachers, but I'm not entirely blaming myself either)

But the number of students on my course were dwindling, so by the time it got to my final year, I was practcially the only student left, so there should have been alarm bells ringing that this was not a good path to be on. The lack of other students to connect with made it difficult for me to make friends as well, and I was already socially awkward at the beginning of my sudies, so my confidence was very low throughout.

And some modules just did not make sense to me, for example, I loved creating animation and digital imagery, but I hated working with code and I hated website design, and there were modules where we were expected to have a knowledge of all the latest websites and how they work, and it was practcially a foreign language to me. And since digital software is consatntly updating and evolving, a lot of the stuff that I did learn became obsolete by the time I graduated.

Reasons why it was my fault I didn't get anywhere with my degree are because I didn't move away to a university and have the whole living away from home experience, I stayed local and was still living with my parents during my studies, so I missed out on what most of the other students were experiencing. I was never an adventurous sort of person in my younger days, I liked my comforts, I always thought it was too much effort to go out and have fun. I loved drawing and animation, those were my talents, but to me, those were projects that I enjoyed working on in my bedroom shut off from the world outside.

And if you want to make it as an artist or designer, you need to have an adventurous spirit and be willing to go out in the world and explore and live in different towns when you get a job in a studio. I just didn't have it in me, I thought I could get by just by going freelance and working from home, and eventually a big company would discover my work and pick me up. It never happened like that.

So yeah, my university degree has been about as useful as a criminal record!

18. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is a college with a major in The Beatles.

Not the insect. The English band.

I'd say that's pretty bloody useless. Other than that, I agree.

#18 ThatBorussenGuy, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  19. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. It's supply and demand.

I think you need to compromise between pay and liking the job.

I have heard graphic desigenrs can earn well. I was considering that when my (science) major got too hard at a point or two. I don't know much about social work tho. Usually people treat it as a pro publico bono work, not a source of earnings, and work in charities as a side job, not as their main job. From what I know. Unless you had something different in mind than I understood? Like teaching or child care? Clinical psychology?

I'd say it depends much more on the actual course quality than on the subject. Some courses are utter BS. It's not a rule that humanities are BS and sciences are great, there are lots of examples to the contrary. But some ridiculous or very low level courses that don't teach much beyond high school level plus zero practical skills are definitely out there. They are more frequently in humanities and make them a bad rep, but it's rather this way round than humanities being BS per say.

20. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I studied animation. Always wanted to work for Disney/Pixar.

While I do have a job, it's not in animation. That's not because the degree is useless (it's very usefull if you have the skills and willpower), it's because of personal factors, and animation being a very competitive field.

Plus, one would have to move to get a good paying job. While I could get an animator position at a small local studio here, the best paying jobs would require me to move to either New York City, California, or overseas to Europe/Asia.