1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to not like kissing at first?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Spacetime, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Spacetime

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 23 and in my first serious relationship. It's going wonderfully. I love her and she loves me, and I've enjoyed every moment we've spent together. One thing I don't particularly love, however, is kissing. I don't dislike it. It's nice. She's the first person I've ever kissed. We've had to move very slowly, in the physical aspect of our relationship, because I have some touch and and sensory issues. We were together for two weeks before I felt comfortable enough to even hold her hand. (Luckily, she's pretty much the sweetest person in the world and is nothing but patient and understanding.)

She's let me set the pace in our relationship, since she's super comfortable with physical affection. I worked up the courage to ask if I could kiss her two weeks ago. I liked it. It's stupid, but people always talk about that feeling when you first kiss someone. Spark or whatever. I feel that sometimes when we're together, but never when we kiss.

We've seen each other 5 times since then, and we've kissed at least once every time. Usually, she initiates it. (She always pauses to let me pull away right before she kisses me, or even asks. I've never said no, nor have I wanted to.) We had a really nice moment yesterday, sitting in a gazebo at a park watching birds. We were alone, so I asked to kiss her. Not to sound childish, but I guess we kind of made out. Still chaste and slow and sweet, her hands in mine. Again, I liked it. But mostly just the closeness and not the kissing in particular.

I have no idea how to kiss, and I know I'm timid and clumsy about it. She's assured me that she still enjoys it. But I'm afraid I'm not going to get better at it and she'll get tired of kissing me.

Is it normal to not particularly enjoy kissing at first?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Different strokes for different folks. There are some folks that never get into kissing of any kind, just as there are some folks that enjoy that more than actual sex. If you have a good time with it and want to continue... then I'm sure if you practice (and practicing can be fun!) you'll be fine with it. And if it's something you really don't enjoy, then perhaps you two can find other things you both enjoy.

So much of the intimate and sexual interactions between people are all about the communication. It can be a little awkward, but the more you are able to talk about the awkward topics, the closer you become. :slight_smile:

3. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The spark you speak of is over rated in my opinion. Some of the best relationships I have had didn’t have that spark while kissing. It’s ok to not like kissing much. I feel the best aspect of a relationship is when you can be completely satisfied in the presence of each other. That’s something special the other stuff can just add to it from there. Don’t fault yourself. Everything comes in time and if your enjoying where your at, continue to enjoy it and grow together.

4. smurf

Oh, interesting. I never thought that people liked the actual act of kissing.

I myself enjoy the closeness and intimacy that kissing can create, but I don't particularly enjoy the act itself. Like, a tongue in my mouth doesn't sound particular pleasing, but making out with my husband is one of the most amazing feelings.

So go with your theory. Have you asked her what she enjoys about kissing? Is she like you and she likes the closeness more than the actual kiss? That might be a fun conversation for you both and it will take the pressure of you feeling like you are not good enough at it.,

While you are at it, you can always say "I'm enjoying this a lot, but am I doing it right? Any pointers?" and then practice together!

Another thought is, what other physical acts can you do to replicate the closeness but avoid the kissing if you end up not liking it? Cuddling is a great one for me, long hugs where you are cheek to cheek, falling asleep on their stomach while they play with my hair, etc. The possibilities are endless. Just have to talk about them which is the scary part for many of us, but once you do then things become much easier :slight_smile:

5. Spacetime

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the reassurance, and the advice. I really appreciate it. We've done great with communication so far. I know I can talk to her about anything, even the uncomfortable stuff.

Thank you. I definitely feel that with her. We go on a lot of outdoor dates, since we both love nature. Since it's been cold, it's become a tradition for us to go to her place afterwards, put some blankets on the floor, and lay down in front of the heater. Those are some of my favorite moments, just being beside her, holding her hand while she falls asleep.

Thank you so much for the advice. Right now, most of my worries come from my lack of experience with relationships. This is only my second one ever. In the past, I've always been able to talk to her about my related concerns/insecurities and she's always willing to listen. I feel reassured that I can talk to her about this if it becomes a problem for me.

I do really like cuddling with her, holding hands while we walk, stroking her hair while she leans against my shoulder, etc. So yeah, even if I wind up not liking kissing that much, it's not like our relationship will stop being affectionate. That makes me feel better.