1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went through a crossdressing phase once.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kevin k, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    When I was 14, after I came out to myself, officially, I began to cut up old clothes that were too small for me, like turning t shirts into crop tops and jeans into short shorts, and I'd wear them when my mom wasn't home. I stoped doing it once I met my boyfriend, but say, theoretically, if I were to start again, would this be an appropriate thing for a guy to do? I never see men do that anywhere, and it seems like there'd be some sort of decency law against it or something. I even wwant through a phase of identifying as female for a while, but once my mom started to notice, that stopped pretty fast. Thoughts?

2. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You'll probably run into people who don't like it very much, but there's nothing illeal or wrong with a guy crossdressing as far as I know.

Why did you stop identifying as female? Was it because you felt shame and buried it, or was it because you decided that you really were male?

#2 Hats, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    gravechild likes this.
  3. stuckinside

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mean, personally I think there's nothing wrong with wearing what you feel comfortable in, guy or whatever else you may be. At the end of the day, it's just clothes. If people don't like it, well they can just get the hell over it.

But I'm kind of wondering the same thing as the poster above me: why did you stop identifying as female? Because it doesn't sound like you necessarily wanted to stop, but did so because of the opinions of others. If there's any possibility you might be trans, I wouldn't really recommend repressing it (aka don't do what I did). You deserve to be happy too.

4. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't know why I stopped. I guess it just didn't feel right. It is wierd and confusing and I don't understand how that hormone stuff works.

5. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I guess I've always been taught that one's genitals makes up thier gender. It felt strange having people call me she when I was marked male at birth.

6. ArsnicD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you mean “marked male” is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does marked to you mean something more like branded or gifted? If all societal “norms” where disregarded then would you feel comfortable with being a she? And just keep in mind, we arnt always taught fact. And do YOUR genitalia make uo whi you are? Do think that they might not difine your gender specifically? But yes, crossdressing is fine. I do it to male plenty. Just be careful with restrooms. Lots of men might have problems with you useing the male one vise virsa.

gravechild likes this.
  7. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There is social pressure against men dressing in female clothes, and that's likely why you rarely see it. If you decided to wear women's clothes in public, you may get odd looks or rude comments... depending where you live you may have people react in worse ways. But, it's not illegal anywhere in the US that I know of.
    There are other men who wear women's clothes. Yes, even in public. I follow several guys on instagram who wear a lot of skirts, crop tops, and so on. On a smaller scale, it was super common for "emo" guys in my area in the early 2000's to wear women's clothes, since they liked the super-skinny fit, and some of them liked the more androgynous aesthetic as well.

There are a few men's clothing brands now that make short-shorts and crop tops and such for men. And a lot of men's brands these days are incorporating "girly" colors/patterns like florals and pink. Since some of these are mainstream brands, it's more socially acceptable than wearing women's clothing. That might be something you are interested in if you don't want to fully crossdress in public.

Genitals do not make up your gender. There are two parts: sex and gender. Sex is the physical part, such as your genitals, and other sex characteristics like facial/body hair and muscle/fat patterns. Gender is in your brain, and is what makes you "feel" like a boy/girl/nonbinary person.

If identifying as female didn't feel right, that's okay. But I will note it's often a bit weird to be referred to with a different name or pronouns. After all, you were referred to one way for so many years, and suddenly everything switches! So it's very common and normal for it to feel a little weird at first, even for trans folks.

gravechild likes this.