1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting the Divorce Attorney

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Dionysios, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out later in life for someone who is married often entails divorce. My wife and I agreed three months ago that this was the best option for us. So this afternoon my wife and I finally sat down with the divorce attorney to begin the process. It was a bit of an education learning how divorces are handled. We gave him a detailed list of division of our assets which he will use to prepare for the legal separation agreement. However before that document can be signed, either my wife or I must physically move out of the home. We told him that will probably happen once the house is under contract (it goes on the market later this week). Once that one of us moves out (probably me), then the countdown leading to the divorce begins. We will have to wait exactly one year after the separation agreement is signed for one of us to apply for the actual divorce. The cost of the separation agreement and divorce is quite reasonable (hundreds of dollars instead of thousands).

The whole proceeding was a rather strange, surreal experience. My wife and I smiled and appeared calm and relaxed. The attorney mentioned it was sometime since he had seen such an amicable couple. My wife and I both felt great relief when we left the attorney's office, as if a heavy weight had been removed. We now know what the actual blueprint looks like for us to end our marriage and get on with our lives. While we each look toward separate futures, we console ourselves that we had a wonderful marriage which will give us good memories to look back on. *smile*

Bicchi and Siananigen like this.
  2. FooFight54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Dionysios,
    That does appear to be so surreal - how long were you married?

3. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My wife and I celebrated 32 years this past January. At least we never fought and have one child who is grown and married. Now we hope that my son and his wife will give his mother and I some grandchildren in the near future. Ah, that would be wonderful for my wife especially. It would give her joy in place of some of the pain she has now. She does well in handling the fact that we are to break up, but when I came out, I dashed her dreams of a happy old age together. A grandchild would warm her heart, so I told my son and his wife to get to work! *smile*

4. FooFight54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are your plans for the immediately future? Are you finding a place close?

5. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m very happy you guys had a positive experience today. It took a lot of work to get there for sure and I know there is still some to do. But like you said this answered a lot of questions and that’s great.

The attorney was problem in shock! His job is gonna be very easy for sure.

Sending nothing but positive thoughts to you and your wife in this process :slight_smile:

Dionysios likes this.
  6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey. This sounds like a bittersweet milestone. Wishing you the best as you move through this.

Dionysios likes this.
  7. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once the house is under contract I will move closer to the town where I have two part-time jobs.I've been checking into apartments and prices. The area where I lived suffered some hurricane damage, so affordable apartments are hard to find. I could move out now, but would prefer not to have obligations to pay for two homes.

8. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate it so much! My wife and I went to dinner tonight and had an enjoyable dinner and some wine. It was not to celebrate, rather we felt that a weight was removed. We know what we need to do in order to go forward. We discussed how we will work on creating a new normal for ourselves after the separation. She even joked tonight that I should look for a bf who is handy with car or home repair. If she needs some help, he could help her out as I am dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to those types of repair.*laugh*

9. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hope it all works out my friend xx

Dionysios likes this.
  10. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and best wishes! My wife and I felt so relieved after speaking with the attorney. A really nice gentleman. He said that our divorce will be quite simple, especially as we have already divided everything. He couldn't get over that we were smiling, joking and easy going about everything. I actually told him that my wife is a wonderful woman, we had a great marriage, but the divorce is due to the fact that I came out as gay. My wife chuckled and said that she never suspected. The attorney smiled and said that love can make people blind. My wife and I were so relieved and upbeat by our experience with the attorney, we went out and had a wonderful dinner and a glass of merlot.

Rade and I'mStillStanding like this.
  11. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks my friend. The session with the attorney went better than I had hoped. The legal wheels are already in motion and my wife and I feel good about getting this process begun. In a couple of days the realtor stops by to put the house on the market. Over dinner tonight my wife discussed types of apartments she is interested in and various locations near our son while I talked about my future plans. It was a pleasant evening. We are starting to create a new relationship between ourselves. We are not there yet, but it is evolving, and in a positive direction. *smile*

Rade likes this.
  12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad it went as well as it did. Certainly you are lucky that you and your wife are getting along so well--I've heard countless stories the last six years I've been on EC of rather bitter breakups.

My best wishes for both you and your wife.

Dionysios and Rade like this.
  13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One thing that interests me is how divorce laws vary place to place. It seems strange to think that it takes a year after separation in NC. In my state, I think a divorce could take place in a matter of a few months.

Dionysios likes this.
  14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say the way that you and your wife are handling this sounds like a model for how people should be able to do that. Even with that said, I can imagine there are parts that are bittersweet and terrifying, in addition to the positives that will come out of it. Hopefully both of you will find new connections, and continue to stay good friends. From what we've seen at EC, a fair number of couples seem to be able to cultivate good relationships after the divorce is final, even if there's contention during the proceedings. It sounds like you are already on the way to a good post-marriage friendship, which is awesome.

Dionysios likes this.
  15. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much! I appreciate it. We were fortunate that we always got along. Having three months to prepare ourselves for the meeting was helpful too. We are both in good spirits as we plan for our separate lives.

16. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was surprised too. My attorney explained that up until recently, the divorce process in NC was much more adversarial in which one party had to prove the other committed adultery or some other serious act. There was even a jury trial! Thank goodness it is not that today. Each state has their own laws so divorce protocol varies wildly.

17. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate your kind words. I am fortunate that my wife does not blame me for this, realizing that being gay was beyond my control. We are trying to make the best of this because we still care for one another and wish the other happiness and good fortune in the future. We both have a sense of humor, and making jokes helps sooth the tension as we navigate this separation and divorce process. *smile*

18. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations @Dionysios on a successful milestone of your new life.
    I'm happy for you two as things have become clearer to both of you. I sure you are excited of the quick changes that are going to happen in your lives, moving out and finishing up separation and then divorce paperwork. It is real and it is happening.

Best of wishes for you and your wife, I think that your case has to be taught to all couples as a pre-marriage requirement!

Hugs

Dionysios likes this.
  19. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So kind! Thanks so much. I feel very blessed that my wife has been so sweet and understanding. I wish everyone had the same experience. *smile*

20. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it’s great that you are able to do this together. My ex-wife and I did the paperwork ourselves and it only cost us $180 to get divorced. 2 months after filing it was granted but we can not re-marry for 12 months. I have no issue with this as I don’t plan to ever marry again. Neither does she at this point we had both had 2 marriages and we both figure if someone can’t be with us just to be with us, the piece of paper isn’t going to change wether or not they want to stay.

Back on topic. You and your wife sound like me and my ex. We are still great friends and I hope that never changes for either of us my friend.

Dionysios likes this.