1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid without a label?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ssk8s, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ssk8s

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like I would come out to more people if I actually had a label for myself. I'm afraid of labeling my sexuality, though, because what if it turns out that I'm wrong about it? I mean, if I really had to identify myself in this moment I would say I'm bi, but I still haven't had much time to really think about it. I guess I just feel insignificant or that coming out is pointless without a label.

2. xenu

I just call myself queer. It's non-specific, but edgy enough that people won't ask too many questions.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can say you are non-straight or that you are still questioning it. Or, if you feel you would be more comfortable with a defined label, just pick the one that appears to be closer to what you feel.

What if you are wrong about it? Then you can simply change it. This is about you, and there's no need to justify any changes to other people. If they say anything about it, you can simply say "yeah, I feel label X didn't really describe my feelings, and Y is more closer to what I feel".

Don't worry too much about labels: They should be used to help you, not to restrict you. :slight_smile:

Shorthaul likes this.
  4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And bi doesn't mean you have to have an equal attraction to both genders. It can be a stronger attraction to one gender over the other. I generally find women more attractive, be sometimes I see a guy and think he is hot, or cute.

Chiroptera likes this.
  5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ssk8s.....Hello...and just in case no one else has said it...a very big welcome to empty closets! How you describe yourself is entirely up to you. Some folks dislike labels as they feel like a label restricts them or "puts them in a box". Others are fine with labels. For me, a label meant that I had finally understood and accepted who I really was. Labeling myself Gay was really important to me...it meant that I had found where I fit after so many years of feeling like I had never had a "place" to call my own in society. If you are comfortable with a label that's fine...if not that's ok too. If you chose to label yourself now and later feel like it no longer fits...go right ahead and change it. It is after all your choice!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: