1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News U.S. Women's Soccer team

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beenthrdonetht, Mar 4, 2019.

1. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anybody following the She Believes cup? This weekend, the US team played with different names on their jerseys — women that inspired them. Names like Malala, RBG, Sally Ride, Audra Lorde, Elena Delle Donne.

To keep this post on topic, I'll point out some of the openly out U.S. players: Abby Wambach (ret.), Ali Krieger, Megan Rapinoe, Ashlyn Harris, Christen Press. A few other maybes who inspire lots of fan-shipping but let's respect their privacy. Ironic that I can't come up with a similar list for the (or any) men's team.

Next game is against Brazil, Tuesday 8 PM Eastern time. I might have to hold my nose and watch it on Fox.

2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm I think this could have gone in "Entertainment and Media." That forum does say "sports" in the description.

I guess I think of soccer — I mean (real) football — as hard news. :soccer: And there was the newsworthy jersey thing. Hope this evening's play is good newsworthy.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, although I of course wouldn't be supporting the US team. It's a shame that there isn't the same representation in men.

4. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah there are literally no out male LGBT players in any of the top leagues, although I think there's one out gay guy in the MLS, which is still appalling. I think it's all down to the heteronormative/homophobic macho culture surrounding the sport as well as homophobic chants being quite common and a failure by the authorities to treat them as seriously as racist chants.

5. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ran out of time to edit my original comment, but i'd also like to add this:

Take for example the premier league, regarded as the best league in the world for football, 500 players and not a single out LGBTQ+ player. Statistically that is worrying to say the least, however there is some hope as there have been a couple of prominent campaigns against it such as the rainbow laces, some teams replacing the captain's armband with one featuring a rainbow flag and paddy power donating £10,000 every time Russia scored at the world cup to attitude foundation (a foundation that raises awareness towards and combats discrimination towards the LGBTQ+ community in football), raising a total of £170,000.

However with all that it is clear that we are not doing enough as the problem is still there and does not seem to be going away. Football is an amazing sport and has immense unifying power and such discrimination has no part in it.

6. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll agree with @Nordland's points that the Premier league are going out of their way to be allies. And footballers in general seem less squeamish about, e.g., falling all over each other after a goal and patting their butts. But you sure don't see them tweeting "That's my boo!" or "Te amo mi amor" after a goal. Maybe it's too much to expect males to behave identically to females anyway. But don't get me started on the equal pay issue!

FWIW, the U.S. side did better against Brazil, who have the legendary name ("Brazil"!) but aren't up to snuff right now. I think this link to highlights should be OK. You can see our strength in offense, esp. along the right flank. (Go Tobin!). The beautiful game.

Next time I'll post in the Entertainment section.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...defeats-brazil-1-0-2019-shebelieves-cup-tampa

#6 beenthrdonetht, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  7. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well the team definitely broke some hard news — on International Women's Day, no less. A lawsuit against U.S. Soccer claiming (very plausibly) gender discrimination.

Excuse me, but which team (mens/womens) brings in more cash? I'm sure you can guess.

8. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Continuing the hard news, Ali Krieger and Ashlyn Harris (aka "Krashlyn") announced their engagement today. Their relationship was not even a secret, as any Web search will turn up. (Photo from 2015.)

668cb4712ca268cff379cf6126ca2a4e--women-athletes-alex-morgan.jpg

9. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And in breaking news (yes news, I claim), defender Ali Krieger (at right in photo) has been called back "up" to the National team, alongside her fiancée goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris. Just a few months before the World Cup. They were already on the same league team (Orlando Pride, coincidence that?). But the spotlight will be a lot brighter now.

This seems like a first for pro sports; at least I can't think of a precedent.