1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to sleep?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Barb, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Barb

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm feeling very tired lately but can't seem to sleep well at night..
    Soooo... what do you guys do when you can't sleep? And when do you get the best sleep?

I usually get very grumpy and end up getting out of bed in order to draw or read for a bit before trying again. Doesn't always work, unfortunately.

I get the best sleep when with my girlfriend actually. She's always so warm and soft, it's great just laying next to her.

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been said that one should stay off electronics (TV, phone, PC, etc.) at least 2 hours before planning to go to bed. Your brain takes 2 hours give or take to switch off from the light that electronic devices give off. I'm guilty of not adhering to those "rules" and some nights, I roll around for 2-3 hours at a time before nodding off. What has worked for me in the past is to read a book. I try to read until my eyes don't focus anymore, or until I don't really take in what I'm reading, and have to reread certain lines.

3. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lately I've been listening to sleep ASMR and it helps. You can try free ones on Youtube. You can listen on a phone or tablet, just be sure to turn off notifications so they don't wake you up. I've also heard of melatonin and sleepytime tea helping some people.

4. Alex101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to take some melatonin, half an hour before going to bed. It's helped. I don't think there's adverse affects, I could be wrong. As far as I know it's harmless.

5. Loves books

I read a lot but I tend to stay awake longer because I get too invested in the story. I only stop when my eyes give up and I literally can’t read anymore. I usually play a show on my iPad on Netflix and can usually fall asleep before the first episode is over. I usually put on Full House, I’ve seen it enough times it’s boring but it stops my mind from running through a million other things while I try to fall asleep. I will never be desperate enough to try meditation .

6. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm terrible at sleeping I don't have any useful advice I just wanted to say you're lucky to have a girlfriend :laughing:

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually fall asleep within a few minutes. However in the rare event I struggle to sleep, then I cuddle the plush parrot that my amazing girlfriend gave me. It helps a lot because it reminds me of her. Sadly it doesn't nibble on me or scream like a sun parakeet at 5am XD

Plus I've noticed I feel sleepy after a shower

Also I must note that people shouldn't sleep next to real parrots because you might roll over while alseep and injure or even kill them

8. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was a low-key insomniac, I could not sleep till 2 am in the morning. Then I read somewhere that hot chocolate helps you sleep. Guess it releases endorphins into your system. You could give it a try.

9. E10H1M

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I try to force myself to close my eyes and lie down for at least 30 mins. If that doesn't work (or if its some hour like 4 am and i have to get up at like 7 am) I try to not sleep that night and will try to just stay up until next night or whenever I can sleep next.

#9 E10H1M, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2019
  10. InStandbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually try and stay off electronics for about an hour or 45 minutes until I go to bed, and I usually take my showers at night. I've also found that working out and doing homework at night can help put you to sleep. I usually also listen to music when I go to sleep, and I think that helps, if it's on the right volume. If you use a CD (I know, so old) then if you fall asleep on the 4th or 5th track, it will end when you're asleep. I also try and read before bed. When I'm really tired, I read poetry: it settles the mind. I don't know how caffeine sensitive you are, but I have a rule: I don't drink caffeine after 4pm alone and after 6pm with food, and I think that helps. Sorry for such a long reply, but I hope this helps.