1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who are the two guys on the home page??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by faultyink, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey @Martin, I wasn't dissing you. Just pointing out the irony in your statement - which is only visible hindsight.

You were just being honest.:relaxed:

And, actually, I'm glad you were wrong because those photos on the Welcome Page help make this feel like a very welcoming site to many newcomers.

#21 Quantumreality, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aha, it's all good. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It would have been the politest diss in the world if you had meant it that wayyy.

I'm not sure what will be happening with those photos as the new front-end continues being built. I suspect they may end up getting the chop, unless they get put on the EC History page and are preserved there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I would say watch this space, but you might end up quoting me in 2027 asking me what happened to them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The photos were apparently originally produced for the short-lived EC webzine, which at one point was called "Full Spectrum Magazine". This pre-dates EC as a nonprofit organization (as well as all of the current staff except for Martin), back when it was simply a site essentially run by one guy, and owned by a large media company as the "under-18" resource for one of their "over-18" properties.

The full spectrum magazine era predates my time on EC. As I understand it, the magazine was originally created by some EC members and was a function/part of EC (which, actually, was not an organization or entity back then, just a group of people at a website). Some differences came up, and the magazine split off and became a separate-but-cooperative venture, and then an entirely separate venture. I took a look at some of the archival posts we still have in the admin area, and it looks like there were real challenges having enough people to sustain production of it, so only three or four issues were produced.

I was able to dig around and find one of the issues (the last one, issue 4). I'll see if we can get them posted just for giggles for people to take a look at.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that I have no direct say in the future of the EC Website, but a cardinal rule that I try to live by would seem to apply: "why try to fix something that isn't broken?" In this case, those warm, good-fuzzy feeling pictures help define EC to newcomers. To lose them (i.e. change something that isn't broken) would be a mistake. Of course, adding photos, especially of two girls in a similar situation, could enhance the website.

But maybe the Staff should consider making those original Welcome Page pictures a continuing iconic/symbolic identity of the Website.

We know that it continues to work - even if you simply look at the fact that threads, like this one, about who those two boys are continuously get posted on EC.

Just my 2cents.

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, @Chip, just out of curiousity, who was this guy?

<inappropriate references deleted by mod>

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His username was PaulUK, and he was EC's sole administrator until about 2009 or 2010.
    The admin team took over when Paul left, and EC became a nonprofit organization late in 2011, at which point the prior owners donated the site, domain name, trademark, and other assets to the nonprofit organization.

#26 Chip, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes! Why people think men of any sexuality can't hug each other is beyond me.

8. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting thread.