1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Opinions on 'NHS child gender reassignment "too quick'''

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Nordland, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Found this article to be an interesting area of debate

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... and what article would that be ? :slight_smile:

3. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That article mirrors a lot of thinking I'm hearing from professionals in the field. And it's really, in my opinion, a double edged sword where it's really difficult to make the right decision.

On the one hand, a child who has severe dysphoria and suffers every day should be able to take steps to start transition. Additionally, the earlier transition is started (especially if before puberty), the better the outcome. Asking a child to delay transition can cause severe depression, anxiety, self-hatred, high risk of suicide, and all sorts of other problems.

On the other hand... there are statistics (I don't know how reliable; quoted in the wonderful documentary "Growing Up Trans") that some 40% of children and teens who initially present with dysphoria will see it resolve, without transitioning, by their early 20s. And basically, whomever is making the call (parents, doctors, therapists) are stuck in the position of putting a 8, 10, 12 year old in the driver's seat to make a very difficult, nuanced, largely irreversible decision. What we have definitely seen is a significant number of younger teens who identify as trans starting to transition, but then realizing that it was not gender dysphoria that was causing their distress; it was something else (anxiety, trauma, depression, etc) that, once resolved, made them realize that their desire to transition was an attempt to attach all of their problems to a single cause.

5. AlexTheGrey

As long as you have folks like Blanchard, Bailey and Zucker muddying the waters with their own papers (and clinical work in the case of Zucker), these statistics are suspect without knowing the details of how they were obtained, and doing follow-ups over a longer period of time to understand how much of this was due to an actual resolution, versus just jumping back in the closet due to lack of support/etc.

It's just that while I do expect that not everyone saying "I'm Trans" is trans and needs to transition, when we're still in an era of so much misinformation and attempts to suppress, I am going to look at quoted numbers pretty suspiciously without the original source paper to reference. It's not like we haven't seen stuff like this before which caused harm to LGBT folks and makes desistence look real. And while conversion therapy is getting pushback, for trans folks, our variation of it is still very much part of our world.

Which is why it's being done in steps. Anyone who hasn't hit puberty yet can simply transition socially without hormones or surgery. Especially with your younger examples, they can spend years at this stage without any further interventions, nothing to reverse at all other than their wardrobe. It's only when puberty enters the picture that things get more complicated. Even then, the general process I'm seeing is to issue puberty blockers first, to buy time and create a bit of a "holding pattern" to minimize the effects of puberty while they explore their identity further. This is probably the ideal outcome we can expect if the goal is to minimize harm to the person, no matter what choice they eventually make.

Only if the person is already in the age range of 18 or so is going straight to HRT on the table, and even then I'm not sure the phrase "largely irreversible" is accurate in that case outside of surgery (which is usually one the last things done, with long waiting lists for years, etc). If it wasn't reversible, HRT wouldn't be all that effective in the first place.

#5 AlexTheGrey, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And this makes complete sense to me. The problem is that I'm seeing reports of kids who either convince their parents to start hormones early, or get the hormones themselves online and self-medicate (we've seen that occasionally on EC). But even with that, one of the challenges is the kids with severe dysmorphia at a young age whose mental health is at risk. And one of the concerns I've heard expressed is balancing the difficulty between your child suffering, and making a decision on the hormones that might not be the right one. *If* hormone blockers are used, and the child has the opportunity for quality therapy from an experienced gender therapist (not someone who will write a scrip after one session) prior to starting on hormones, then there's less concern. My issue is more with the "informed consent" process, especially if is used for young people.

#6 Chip, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  7. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do somewhat agree with the article, but i feel like children should be allowed to socially transition and try things out, maybe even go on hormone blockers but i believe it should not go farther than that. if a child can be truly diagnosed with gender dysphoria by a gender therapist/a medical professional trained to work with trans people, that is a different case. however, kids say they want to be dinosaurs. as a kid i would say i want to be a guinea pig. i do believe adults and people around them should listen if they are struggling with gender and help them all they can and maybe should even go to a gender therapist. but as the article said, children and young people are still figuring themselves out. some people think they are trans and then decide later they are cis and that is perfectly fine. and most kids do not know that hormones have irreversible effects on their bodies. figuring yourself out takes time and i do not feel like you should rush anyone, especially children.

#7 Reviskova, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019