1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morning alarms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Feb 24, 2019.

?

How many alarms do you set in the mornings?

1. Only 1 (Weekdays)

40.0%
  2. 2 - 3 (Weekdays)

25.0%
  3. More than 3 (Weekdays)

15.0%
  4. Only 1 (Weekends)

22.5%
  5. 2 - 3 (Weekends)

5.0%
  6. More than 3 (Weekends)

5.0%
  7. Other (See comment)

22.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How many alarms do you set each morning? (Could be weekdays, weekends or both).

I personally set 4 alarms for weekdays, and two to three for weekends.

Yet I still can't drag myself out of bed in the mornings. Over the last few months, I probably only got up on time for work about 3 times. I'm usually between 5-10 minutes late, and have been 30 minutes to and hour late a few times. This is obviously not good for my work life, or even my personal life, as I miss out on so much (talking about weekends specifically) when I only get up at 11am, or sometimes as late as 1pm! It doesn't matter if I went to bed at 8pm the previous evening, or only at 10pm. I am always extremely tired. I've been struggling with getting up early from a very young age. I was often late for school because of this problem.

I have to add, I'm bipolar (probably since very young, but only officially diagnosed in 2010). I'm on medication, and I don't feel depressed. Once I'm finally up, I'm fine with not sleeping again till that evening at my usual bedtime (around 9pm). My first alarm goes off at 5am, second one at 05:30, third one at 05:45 (Which is when I'm actually supposed to be up and at 'em), and the last one at 06:05 - I usually keep setting it for later and later, until I'm late for work. This morning I only got up at 06:20. I have to leave for work at 06:30, or I'm late. I was 5 minutes late this morning (Start at 7). I can shower, get dressed, style my hair, etc. in 15 minutes, so it's not like I take hours and hours to get ready in the mornings. It's just getting up early that I seem to struggle with. I keep promising myself the previous night that I will get up early the following morning, to no avail. Once that first alarm goes off, my mind goes into a "fuck it, I'm still tired" mode and I end up being late, again...

I just don't know what to do anymore. Is it just laziness, or do you think I actually have a problem? It's usually worst on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but most Mondays are hard too, since I slept late over the weekend. If anyone has advice or tips for me to drag myself out of bed early, please share. I don't think I'm the only one struggling with this, but I feel like an alien in my own house because I'm the only one who struggles with this in my direct family...

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only set one alarm on weekdays and weekends. It's for 8:00 Am and my first class is at 9:30 Am. I usually go to sleep around 3:00 Am and get 4-5 hours of sleep. I'm never late (or early) to anything, I tend to show up to everything as exactly on time as I can down to the minute.

I used to hate getting up in the morning when I was a kid too, but after doing this for so many years it's just normal to me now. I take failure personally too and I see being late to something as a failure, so avoid it at all costs. I see being too early as a failure to budget my time accurately too since some gets wasted that I could have been using for something else if I didn't get there early.

Setting multiple alarms is a bad idea. It seems like it makes sense on the surface since it gives you backups, but in reality all that does is train your brain to ignore the alarm. If you only set one alarm and force yourself to get up (without pressing the snooze button) your brain is taught to obey the alarm and get up when it says to get up. If you set multiple alarms it does the opposite, and teaches your brain to ignore alarms because it gets used to ignoring multiple alarms every day.

Don't put the alarm next to your bed either. Put it across the room so you're forced to physically get up and walk to turn it off. Then you either have to semi-wake up to walk, or lay there being annoyed and woken up more by the never-ending alarm sound, either of which helps you wake up.

#2 Destin, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  3. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Destin! I never thought about it like that.
    Guess I will have to let my multiple alarms go, lol. Makes sense what you're saying.

I will try it out and see if it helps me wake up on time, knowing that there's no back-up alarm set.
    It won't be easy going for a few days, but I think your advice would work :grin:

Note to my brain: It's time for a factory reset. Prepare to be dazzled! Lol

4. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just have 1 for both, although i should probably have two on the weekdays because i'm always late getting up. I think it's true (although don't quote me on this) that if you get woken up by your alarm you haven't had a good nights sleep as your body clock should just wake you up anyway?

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, agree 100%. I never understood how people have a series of alarms going off over the course of an hour.....Even if I got the shittiest sleep, I know if I don't get up asap, then I'm falling back asleep and am fucked. Setting only one alarm and getting up asap also seems like the most efficient way to get the most sleep rather than the last 30 min getting ruined by the first of the alarms lol

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never, or should I say rarely, set any alarms! I am typically up enough time for preparation for my work schedule. Key is to go early enough to bed and give my body around 7hrs of sleep. Strange enough, if I set an alarm to get up earlier than usual for an early flight or something, I'll wake up several times before the alarm sounds and I'm typically up and running before it! but of course exceptions sometimes happen!

8. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    On weekdays I usually have two: one to wake me up, and one to turn on my bearded dragon's lights before I leave for work. Sometimes I set a third one if my team's playing a midweek fixture and I want to be up to watch it. I set no alarms on weekends. Fuck that.

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hardly ever set an alarm. If I have to be up at 3 for a flight or something I might set the alarm on my phone, but for day to day living I pretty much always wake up with plenty of time. I really thought the whole multiple alarms thing was just something from TV and movies. I'm a little surprised to hear people actually do it tbh.

10. smurf

I'm one of those people who set multiple alarms. Hate waking up early and don't you dare send me a book about how if I wake up even earlier I can be the next millionaire or whatever. You can keep your extra hours of productivity :slight_smile:

But seriously, its not that I hate waking up but I hate rushing in the morning Right now I have a pretty cool job where I can come in between 9 - 10 am. I gave up pretending I can be punctual in the morning so I just let my boss know from the get go. Most don't care as long as I get my work done and raise the money they need. I also refuse to give you a meeting before 10 unless you are important enough. Call me spoiled (or nuts, your pick)

If and when I do have to be somewhere in the morning and time matters, then I have this alarm that makes me do 2 math problems and then scan a bar code of an object that I put in my bathroom before I can turn it off. The sounds are crying babies, guns, police alarms and the like. I know, sounds like hell but it works haha never been late to anything important that way. Everything else can wait.

My cousins and I did train ourselves to wake up at a certain time without an alarm clock when we were younger. Its something that you can definitely do, but its just not something I care for.

11. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had never thought about it that way. For me, the plus side of snoozing is that the "lightweight' sleep you get between alarms seems more dream-intensive. And so also seems more restful.

But in fact, I am also leaning toward your jump-in-the-pool approach.

#11 beenthrdonetht, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  12. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always used one alarm, mostly when I was in school. I actually do have my clock on the other side of my room, but I don't have the alarm set, because now my parents and I get up for work about the same time, so my mom just wakes me up.

Plus, my body is used to my work schedule now, so I tend to wake up a few minutes before I'm supposed to get up anyway.

#12 BothWaysSecret, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  13. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One on Monday and Wednesday, I go to college on those days. And sometimes I work the in the morning shift, so that, too.

14. Loves books

I don’t sleep well so I always set alarms on my iPad to wake me up. When I was at college last year I realized it wasn’t going to go well because I was sleeping through 7 alarms every morning. I know I’m in trouble when even alarms don’t wake me up. It wouldn’t have been so bad if my alarms woke me from my naps. When one hour ends up being four I have no chance of sleep that night.

15. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can use the natural alarm technique. Just drink half a litre of water before going to bed. It usually wakes you up after 8 hours. If I go to bed at 11, I wake up around 6.15, 6.30 ish.

16. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alarms? I haven't used an alarm in years, even when I went to school. I'm a light sleeper and wake myself up throughout the night to check the time if I need to rise early.

Also one's body clock gets set after the course of time. If I require more sleep, I just go to bed early, and nearly always wake up about the same time.

17. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think part of the reason I struggle to wake up on my own/get up on time is the fact that I haven't had uninterrupted sleep in years. I usually wake up around 3am, sometimes closer to midnight, to go pee. I have little to no trouble falling back to sleep when I get back to bed, but then my whole next day is a mess because I had to wake up and get out of bed in the middle of the night/early hours of the morning. Is it perhaps my body clock that wakes me up at that time, instead of my bladder? I've tried varying my bedtime too. In the winter, I'm usually in bed by 8pm. In warmer months, I try to push for 9, or even 10pm. I just wish I could get into a steady routine for once. It's super frustrating to always have to rush to get somewhere (work usually) on time. I was sick on Wednesday and yesterday, so I was able to "catch up" on sleep. I know one can't really catch up on lost sleep, but I felt much more rested after sleeping till 10am, even though I went to bed at the same time as other nights.

I know that depression can cause the sufferer to feel the need for more sleep, so there's that. But like I said, I don't feel depressed. Maybe it's just laziness and nothing more to it. I keep promising myself to get up early during weekends too, instead of sleeping till the sun is high. But every weekend it's the same - I sleep in. My family said that I should try to get up on weekends the same time I get up during the week, so that my body can get into a routine, because sleeping late on weekends, just makes it that much harder to wake up early the following week. Will it work? Probably. Will it be easy? Probably not. Will it be worth it? I sure as hell hope so!

Thanks for everybody who commented. And I will try to change it up a bit so that I am able to be up and at 'em on time, every. single. day.

18. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I set one for weekdays and one for the weekends, but it go s off every 10 minutes. I usually sleep through the first and get up on the 4th

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use my phone so just 1 to get me up during the week.

20. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This question is kind of hard to answer. If there were no "other" option, I woud've went with one.
    I set one alarm, but I usually wake up around 40 minutes before I have to get up and stay awake during that time. I usually try to go back to sleep but can't. In that case, I shut off the alarm and instead set the timer for 40 minutes (or so).