1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Parents in UK Primary School trying to ban LGBT lessons

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Joe2001, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

This video is very frustrating to watch. I'm willing to give people a chance, but this video does nothing to help change my stance on religions such as this.

What is so negative about teaching kids the issue of LGBT rights? I do not get it whatsoever. And the fact that they are acting as the victim infuriates me.

#1 Joe2001, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there is much to understand unfortunately, they have been brainwashed to believe being gay is wrong, I would be more surprised if they accepted this curriculum with open-arms considering it goes against their belief.

There is nothing wrong with teaching kids about being gay and gay rights and I am happy the school isn't bowing down and continue to help kids who grow up in religious environments access to materials and resources/support they wouldn't ever be able to have at home.

3. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They shouldn't have moved there if they're so against the teachings in the schools.

4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am confused, what do you mean they shouldn't have moved there if they are against the teachings of the school? From what I get in the video it's a new curriculum that's just been introduced (hence the uproar) and therefore most people already lived there when it happened and that's why some chose to take their kids off of the school as that's not what they expected when they first signed them in? Am I missing something?

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe she's meaning more along the lines of, "They shouldn't have moved to a more progressive country if they're not going to be open to ideas outside of their religion."

I mean, I get people having their own beliefs, but that gets thrown out the door with public schools (which I believe this is?). I'm not too familiar with differences between the US and the UK when it comes to education, but I feel like this would be akin in the states to Christians getting worked up at LGBT content in schools. They claim it infringes on their beliefs and what-not. In reality learning about LGBT rights is literally part of the modern Civil Rights movement and it only harms students by not teaching them about what's happening in the world.

Also, not to turn this into a "Religion: good or bad?" debate, I will say that not everyone in a religion believes the same things. So these Muslim parents are getting all worked up about this but that doesn't mean every Muslim individual does. Religion is super weird and pretty much the best religious people I've found are the ones who realize that following a 2000+ year old book word for word is stupid and that they can form their own decisions and beliefs.

6. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought that's what she might mean but was hoping that wasn't the case as it's a pretty flipant comment to make. I mean I understand the thought-process behind it but nothing here says that those parents weren't born in the UK in the first place or that they had moved from anywhere so it's a pretty big assumption to make.

I was born and raised in France where there is a large muslim community, there are first generation immigrants but a lot are born and raised in France some are very liberal in their views of Islam and have nothing against gay people whatsoever, others do.

Muslims/Christians who are born and raised British (or American) and never moved from anywhere else still often despise gay people and complain about anything that could bring light to LGBT issues so not sure why the fact that they may have moved would be relevant as most muslim be it from the middle-east or europe are against gay people anywhere. If anything them moving is a good thing because it allows their kids to live in a more liberal environment whilst outside their home.

I agree that religion and schools should remain separated and that parents who want their kids to be taught according to their religion should send their kids to religious schools.

7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I learned about religions in RE lessons when I was at school and it didn't turn me religious, it just explained a few things to me about the different religions so that I was aware of it, and could be respectful of people who follow different religions.

Nobody taught me that it was ok to be gay during my school days, I just had to put up with gay jokes and insults (many of them from kids of certain religions) while trying to be respectful of the religions of all these other kids around me.

So I can't sympathize with these parents. They want people to respect their religions, but they won't respect other ways of life? There are children in schools right now who are being raised by same sex parents. And some of them are taking their kids out of school to be home schooled - yeah, that's gonna teach them about the world and the country they are growing up in, by staying at home and not interacting with other people.

8. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's religion for you