1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to connect to my community

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gayashell, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Gayashell

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always yearned to be close to the LGBT community. Even though I live in LA, the more lgbt friendly spots are on the other side of the city (which can be several hours drive in traffic) and are predominately white and male.

Does anyone have tips for getting involved the lgbt community? I want gay friends and a chosen family and to be around people with like minded and empowered social views, but i still feel so far away from other lgbt folk.

2. Litebrite

Litebrite Guest

Same for me,

I am also in the gigantic la metro area but in a place that leans a bit more conservative/ traditional leaning so it seems daunting.

I'm also having trouble finding a therapist experienced in lgbtq issues anywhere close to home or work.

I am also pretty terrified of being rejected by the community. I present pretty much as cis straight married male, but I identify as bi/pan and have always felt like I should have been born female. I am afraid of being judged 'not queer enough' because I fell in love with a cis straight woman and haven't /don't plan on transitioning.

3. Gayashell

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get you. I think that's a common fear :/
    But there are good, accepting people too :slight_smile: we just have to find them and those spaces

Litebrite likes this.
  4. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Short of the club/bar scene and the pride events it can be hard to just find people in the community. The best you can really do is to be open as yourself and like minded people will gravitate towards you. Depending where you are from can make a difference also.

There is also the option of finding others online but the online world is risky for meeting people in person. There are those parties where complete strangers meet up somewhere but those are hit or miss. In either situation, being out with yourself will help you meet others.