1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the most "hurtful" things your mom / dad said to you?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Feb 23, 2019.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Over the years what have your mom / dad (or guardian) asked / told you, causing hurt (emotional pain)?

Me:
    1) When are you going to get a girl. (this brought tears to my eyes, which she saw)
    2) Ann (fictitious name) just got divorced. She sure is a nice girl. You should go after her.
    3) I do not think it was a good idea to have sent you there. (meaning the boarding school which she had sent me to in 9th grade)
    4) (seeing I was not dating girls my mom states to me) I do not know what is going to become of you.

These are my top hurts. I guess because they are "hurts" they stick in my brain.

#1 brainwashed, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Nightlight likes this.
  2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess there were things. I mean I tried to kill myself my senior year in high school and I wasn't bullied at school so there must have been things. But I honestly don't see the point of dwelling on them. My parents didn't know I was gay and frankly in that time and place expecting my parents to prepare for the possibility that I might have been gay would have been like expecting them to operate with the proper sensitivity in case I turned out to be a space alien. They did the best they could with the information they had, and frankly I withheld the most relevant information. That's on me. Once they had that information they rallied despite the fact that it damn near destroyed my Mother. They were well-meaning, loving people who were just as trapped in the time and situation as was I. And frankly I miss them dearly...

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The hurtful things my parents did or said were not specific to my sexuality. Although not sexuality specific, their actions diminished my self esteem and self respect which inhibited my confidence. The lack of confidence further deteriorated my ability to embrace my sexuality when confronted with broader societal heteronormative and homophobic messages.

The past can’t be changed, but we all have the ability to rise above the past and live our truth.

4. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in my early twenties. When I get past 25, I am probably going to get bombarded with questions like that. Ugh...is it a universal thing for all parents to say that to their children?

5. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents have said that homosexuality is dirty and it's something that's hard for them to accept.

They said it even after I gave them a new years card with rainbow flags printed on it, as an attempt to familiarize them with the topic. Seriously?

6. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, some comments you never forget. When I was about 16 my mom, perhaps suspecting that I was gay, told me that "I'm ashamed of you and I've always been!" After I didn't say a word. I turned round, went up to my room, and balled my eyes out.

7. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one that stick out in my mind. I will disown you and never speak to you again if I ever find out your gay. She also applied that to other races when she found out my oldest daughter was dating an African American gentleman. My parents and brother are the biggest bigots I know which is why I have very little to do with them. I’m at a point in my life where I’m free standing, in a successful career, and I have built my own support system out of friends that I call my friemily. Our bonds are thicker than blood. But my family is old school hell fire and brimstone religious. They still stuck in 1950 so I still hear lots of horrible things.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When my parents' marriage was ending (when I was in high school), there was apparently one day when they were either talking or (more likely) arguing, and my father called me a "social misfit." I was not present, but I sure heard about it later from my mother. And those words really stuck. Unfortunately, given how hard/impossible it is for me to make friends, I have to wonder if that label wasn't just an accurate label...

I also recall when I was quite a bit younger at least one incident when I wasn't doing a good job of conforming to male mores. Nothing was said, but it was clear my father did not approve.

#8 BMC77, Feb 23, 2019
  9. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was about 14, my brother started using the word "sucker" to insult about anyone. My dad took me aside and asked me to talk to my brother and tell him what that meant because the thought of a guy doing that to another was so despicable that he couldn't stomach telling him. I told my brother and we both got aroused...LOL. My parents wouldn't speak to me for a year after I started dating my wife (out of the faith).

Anyway, fast forward 30 years and my father attended, proudly, my brother's wedding to man and he had a special fondness for my sister's partner. My mother wears a Pride t-shirt and gave up her religion. People change. Our parents just didn't understand what all of this meant. I can't dwell too much on this. Yes, it harmed me and there is no way around that. But, I have to cut them some slack on this.

I am so saddened, however, when I talk with my 30 ish friend about this. In this day and age, he is still rejected by his parents for who he is. That's a terrible thing to feel (I know...a lot of us do). Why hasn't that changed?

#9 Nickw, Feb 23, 2019
  10. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad was physically and emotionally abusive, while my mother was distant. They didn’t/don’t know about my sexuality at this point, but now that I think about it, I remember my dad asking me directly as a teenager if I was a lesbian. Why did he ask me that? I always thought I hid my feelings so well, but maybe I did not. As kids we can’t really help our feelings and how we show them... I remember drawing lots of pictures of women’s bodies, being obsessed with boobs (Dolly Parton, hello!), making my Barbies kiss each other, etc. So I cannot related to being rejected after coming out, but I still worry about how my dad would react (my mom passed away). I’m still married to my husband anyway so I’m still trying to sort this all out myself. I think my dad would accept it, but I think he’d mostly be heartbroken that I’d be breaking up my family, as he adores my husband and my kids.

Butterfly6 likes this.
  11. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember you saying this before and it's good you bring it up again. It's amazing how hurt stays with one. As soon as you figure out a way to "let it go" let me know so I can use the technique on me.

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a theory and a question. a) what is driving their bigotry? and b) are they actually hurting inside?

13. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I remember my mom asking "Do you have AIDS?" the day after I came out to her. :sweat_smile: At the time it was hurtful but now that I look back it's quite funny.

14. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my mom told me she wished I was dying instead of someone else.

15. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just being generally insulting/abusive. I had a weight problem when I was younger and I can vividly remember my grandpa calling me fat and lazy. I've since lost the weight and look great now (6'3", about 220 lbs). But that really hurt. Grandma used to call me an asshole and other insulting names. So yea, a whole childhood of that kind of shit.

16. Butterfly6

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I come from a very repressed culture and the most hurtful thing my parents have ever done to me was interact with my aunt's husband after he tried to rape me.

I love my parents and I know they try hard to keep the peace, but this always makes me angry when I think about it.

17. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Deep seeded prejudices created by religious upbringing in rural communities. And maybe?

18. faceup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I grew up with my father saying he Woild prefer his son to be dead than Gay.

My mum just did syupis "jokes" but that's not bad, but what my father used to say stuck with me until today.

19. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. As a parent I cannot imagine ever thinking that of my kids. I am so sorry.

Destin likes this.
  20. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is horrible and can be scarring for life. My wife's mother said the same thing to her but not about being gay. This is the sort of thing that is so difficult to repair. Have you been able to rebuild any relationship with your mom?

Destin likes this.