1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes your friends, well..."friends"?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nightlight, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Since high school, I always wondered where the line between friends and acquaintances was.

I decided it was when they text you first and you text them, back and forth. When you eat lunch together. When they seem to care about you.

I still keep in touch with some of my old friends. We may not talk as much as we did, and I'm content with our current state. We're in different places in life after all.

I moved to a new place during high school junior year. I made friends there and later in college, but it doesn't seem as "real" my friends back home were. I always text and ask to hang out first, 97% of the time.

I mean they are nice people. They treat me with respect, and they seem to listen to me. But that seems to be it. I'm worried if they're "putting up" with me rather than caring about me as a real friend.

I contact them maybe 2-3 times a month and I'm worried what they think of me. I ask them to hang out or say what's up. What if I'm annoying them?

Everyone always seem to be texting even when they're hanging out with someone. I feel left out for not really having anyone to text without feeling guilty at the slightest.

So back to the question: how do you know when you have an actual friend? Did i not have friends in the first place, or am I worrying excessively?

#1 Nightlight, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I judge it by two things.

1. Do you know personal things about them a stranger wouldn't know.

2. If you knew they were in the same town as you at the same time, would you tell them you were there so a meetup could be arranged, or would you never say anything because you don't really care enough to want to see them.

A friend would be someone I know personal things about, and care about enough to try meeting up with if it were convenient.

An acquaintance would be someone I only know vague things about that a stranger could learn easily, and wouldn't really be worth the effort of offering a random meetup.

Drizzle, Nightlight and AnAtypicalGuy like this.
  3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, and when I reciprocate and the feelings are mutual. Friends are those that I am emotionally connected with and can be vulnerable with. All others are acquaintances.

Nightlight likes this.
  4. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have "unfriended" people for these reasons. If I feel like the friendship is one sided, where I'm making all the effort to stay in touch and they are not responding, then I give up on them.

I don't expect anyone to be there for me 24/7, I don't consider myself a needy person, and I enjoy my solitude. But I do like sharing myself with people. I like listening to people and learning about people, what makes them happy, what bothers them. If I reach out to someone and ask if they want to catch up, then I am giving them an opportunity to get to know me a little bit better and to share things that they are going through. If I offer someone these opportunities several times and they don't respond, then I assume they are not interested in my friendship, they just consider me an acquaintance, and one they can live without. So they can live without me. I don't want them among my contacts if they are not going to communicate with me.

Nightlight likes this.
  5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ve defitniely thought about this, and an acquaintance is someone that I know from work or class but don’t talk personal matters with, which include relationships, general life problems, hanging outside of work, etc.

A friend would include all those things I’ve listed above, and possibly more.

Nightlight likes this.
  6. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your opinion. I seriously think it's time to rethink about my relationships with others, and myself as well.

7. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    personally, a friend to me is someone who you have a mutual emotional connection with, and that you enjoy being around and they feel the same about you. someone you can talk to, hang out with, and just generally have fun with them. the main difference between a friend and a acquaintance, in my opinion, is that i wouldnt go out of my way to try and make plans with a acquaintance. but i would with a friend. and i probably wouldnt go out of my way to message a acquaintance either. acquaintances are just sort of "people you know". friends have to have a mutual connection unlike acquaintances. but thats just how i feel.

Nightlight likes this.
  8. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really depends. I have friends who never call or text me... but if I called them right now and needed help with something, they'd be there. If I saw them tomorrow we'd have a great time together. I distanced myself from these people because they drink a lot and I'm not into the bar scene. I have other friends who can be annoying as hell, but they've been there for me and we often have interesting conversations and discuss very deep topics, which is great. I have other friends who I hear from quite regularly but we don't do anything all that exciting together.

Friends can be friends for different reasons. Not every person you consider a friend has to be super close with you, have a bunch of inside jokes with you, knows a bunch of personal details, so on and so forth. Unless that's what your personal definition of a friend is... then more power to you.

I personally have a more liberal definition of the word friend. I usually consider acquaintances to be like people who know my friends, or coworkers, people like that.

Drizzle, Tightrope and Nightlight like this.
  9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am prone to talk really quite personal with acquaintances so the whole what you/they know about each other doesn't really work for me. I guess for me it's some variation on the whole "would you ask them for a ride to the airport?" thing. A friend, for me, is someone where you will help each other out. Would you drive across town to be with them because they were down? Would they help you move if you needed it? In the end I think it just comes down to the people whose lives you actually feel invested in. I have a lot of people whose company I enjoy and I can have a good conversation with who for whatever reason just don't quite rise to that level. In my book they're very enjoyable acquaintances.

Nightlight likes this.