1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ur Boy Did It

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MaybeBenji, Feb 10, 2019.

1. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Holy crap.
    I just told my mom I'm trans.

It went as expected. I had no reason to be as nervous as I was because she's very accepting. She doesn't always understand it, but she'll accept you for who you are. We were talking about my plans for the future and possibly applying for a college program but I've been very reluctant to do much of anything towards pursuing my career. Then I just told her.

I just said "The reason I'm so reluctant to do anything is because I'm pretty sure I'm trans." and I cried. a lot. She said it's okay and she'll support me in what I do and who I am. She told me she doesn't understand it but she sees that this is who I am and what I need to be happy. She asked me if I want to change my name. I told her my new name. She said she'll probably call me (birth name) but I can't fault her for that. It's a lot to take in. I think she's just glad that there's a reason I've been such a loser. (Not that she said that but we both think it. I haven't done anything that I wanted to do. I'm really quite a mess.)
    She asked if I want to talk to someone about this so I can figure out what I want to do from here.

I know that I want to go on hormones but I didn't mention that because it seemed like too much at once.

Tomorrow I'm going to look more into therapy. I guess my question here is: What should I look for in a therapist? I know that there are gender therapists but how do I know who to go to? I live in a major city so finding someone won't be an issue once I know what to look for.

Also, how do I bring up hormones? I was thinking I'd wait until I talk to a therapist and they could help me out with that. Now that my mom knows, I just want to go. I want it all. (I know that's not realistic, it's a process) I want hormones, I want a name change, I want to change my birth certificate. I want to live.

I've been in a pretty bad place the past few years and for the first time, I see the light. It will be okay. There's a life out there for me and I can do this and be myself.

I sobbed like a baby through most of the conversation but it was mostly relief and we talked a bit about how I've been holding onto my secret because our family has been through a lot lately.

So yeah, I told her. I shared the secret I've been keeping since I was fourteen.

Now what?

Also, any advice for telling the rest of my family would be great. I have no idea how my grandma or aunt and cousins will react. I think my dad is transphobic but we don't talk much or generally get along so his support isn't necessary.

Thanks,
    Ben

medamaude, quebec and smurf like this.
  2. givenchy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    omg congrats! so happy for you! I love that you said "I see the light. It will be okay." this is a great reminder that it will get better, best of luck with everything xx

MaybeBenji likes this.
  3. smurf

First, you celebrate!!

Before tackling the next obstacle and everything else, take some time to take it all in. You fucking did it man! Enjoy it for just one second and appreciate all the effort and courage that it took for you to get here. Pat yourself in the back, allow yourself to feel like the badass that you are, and do something to symbolize the change.

Go out to lunch, buy yourself dessert or do something to make it real :slight_smile:

When looking for a therapist, they will usually state on some portion of the website what they specialize in. Good therapist who are knowledgeable about trans issues will state it in their bios or summaries somewhere. You can also call and directly ask about it.

Things to keep an eye on to make sure they are in fact good about trans issues

- the intake paperwork should have options for different genders and they should ask you for your pronouns
    - They should ask you for your legal name and preferred name
    - Somewhere on their website there should be the word trans somewhere

Those are not rules, just guidelines. If the therapist didn't create documents with trans people in mind then they might think they are good for trans people, but they have NO clue as to what it truly entails.

If you live in a city with an LGBT center, call them for referral.

As always, choosing a good therapist is like dating. Its okay to try different therapist until you find the person that you feel comfortable with.

#3 smurf, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    quebec and MaybeBenji like this.