1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Spot, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay I went to a party last night and I was thoroughly wasted when this girl offered me a drag off her cigarette. I’d seen a lot of my friends smoke and it’s not even like I felt I was being pressured into it, I was just really curious because they all said it was good. So I tried it, actually I had to try it twice because I did it wrong the first time. But I felt really horrible, let’s not lie. I’ve heard people say it tastes like licking a tyre or like tar but it actually tasted more like ash…and burning and it was really really dry. Like fire, basically. I don’t know how else to describe it. I definitely don’t want to try it again. And I started coughing because I couldn’t breathe properly. Afterwards, my lungs hurt so bad. They still hurt now too and it must’ve been like 8 hours ago, I don’t know. And I can still taste it, even though I’ve brushed my teeth and everything. I still feel kind of like I can’t breathe properly.

I was kind of concerned afterwards and I still am because…I’m worried that it’s possible I could cause lasting damage after the 1 drag (or 1.5, if you count the failed attempt). Like, is that possible? I said to the girl afterwards that I’ve probably got cancer now because I’m a total hypochondriac and my mind would go straight there but she just laughed at me. I don’t think I’ve literally gotten cancer but I feel like one time smoking could start it…or something like blood clots, I don’t know. For someone who’s such a hypochondriac, you wouldn’t think I would’ve tried it but my judgement was really poor at the time. I don’t think I’ve ever been so wasted in my life. And it was an impulse decision. But I immediately regretted it.

Is it likely that I would’ve caused any lasting damage? I’m sure there’s some short-term damage because my lungs feel weird but I’m hoping I’ll be fine…

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course, smoking isn't healthy and you definitely should stay away from it. But, considering what you described, I don't think any permanent damage was done, and you are probably overthinking it.

The problem with smoking is that it is addictive, and it is extremely hard to stop once you become a smoker. The reasons why being addicted is bad for one's health is widely known: It may cause damage to many parts of your body (not just your lungs), and this damage can be permanent in many cases.

It is not recommended to "smoke socially" or occasionally, because that also causes damage and you may also become addicted by doing it.2 I'm not saying this to alarm you, I just want to make sure people don't understand my post as "it's fine, you can try it". That's not what i'm saying.

However, like I said, in your case, stay clear of cigarettes and you should be fine. As with anything related to your health, if you feel any persistent symptoms after some time, checking with a doctor never hurts. But I wouldn't lose my sleep over this.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No lasting damage, but please, please, please don't ever try this again. Cigarette companies have spent, literally, billions of dollars over the past several decades working to engineer their product to be as massively addictive, as quickly as possible. The same is true of Juul, the largest maker of vapes; Juul is taking a lot of heat right now for targeting their product at young teens, and intentionally ratcheting up the nicotine levels to increase addictiveness.

Nicotine is more addictive than heroin, and probably on par with crack cocaine or crystal meth. Let that sink in. Presumably most folks wouldn't try heroin or meth because they understand how addictive it is, but many people will try a cigarette. And they sort of like it, so they have one. Most commonly, the first cigarette happens at a party or a bar or a club, often after having a few drinks. And then the person tries again, maybe a week or a month later... and then it becomes something that people do occasionally, maybe when they drink.

The problem is... it pretty much never stays to casual use. A large study (over 5000 teens) published in Nature (British medical journal) showed that of teens who smoked less than once a month at age 15, over 90% were addicted pack-a-day smokers by 20. Of the addicted smokers, about 70% said they planned to quit within the next 6 months, but 5 years later, almost 90% were still pack-a-day smokers.

That's how addictive cigarettes are.

Please don't start. Cigarettes are the only commercially manufactured product that, when used as directed, kills a large percentage of its users.

HM03 and Chiroptera like this.
  4. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are genuinely concerned about the health implications of one or two drags, then maybe try and put it in to perspective. If you were at a party where other people were smoking around you, then the second-hand smoke from their smoking would have had a much higher impact on your lungs than just a couple of drags and yet I presume you aren't still worrying about that.

In my view, there is nothing good about smoking. I have seen too many people die because of it. Yes not everyone that smokes will have heart disease or cancer BUT everyone that smokes has a reduction in health, life expectancy and quality of life. Every smoker you meet will tell you that they're the one that isn't affected, that it chills them out, they enjoy it, they can stop any time, blah blah blah - that's what all addicts do.

I honestly hope that you don't try smoking again and maybe also that you keep away from environments where others are smoking too. It's not worth the gamble just to fit in with a group of people. A group that only exists because of a joint lack of willpower and a weakness to peer pressure and advertising.

If you have the cash to start smoking then put it to better use. Join the gym, save up for a holiday or activity, give it to charity, anything that isn't putting poison in your body basically!

Chiroptera likes this.
  5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what everybody said. I don't know a lot of smokers, but none of them thought they'd get addicted. They all started it as "a drunk thing" or for the thrill of doing "something fun" behind their parents back.

6. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Let me tell ya, I started smoking because the neighbor kid down the road did, maybe it was to fit in for I didn't have any friends other than him. He only was during the summer, never said a word to me in school. Maybe it was because it made my voice sound deeper, something that was important to a 14 year old kid that still hadn't started puberty. Which ever the reason its a BITCH to quit. To put it in perspective my house payment is 300.99 per month. A pack is almost 10.00 in my state. My motivation to keep trying and I WILL succeed is to make double payments on my home. I can have it paid for in nine more years. PLEASE DON'T START!
    Dean

Calf likes this.
  7. Shallow waters

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Smoking (nicotine and tabacco products) are something you should stay away from, though everyone knows that. I have smoked only two or three cigarettes and ever since then I really keep wanting more. I liked the taste of it, I think why is because its an effect of liking the cigarette. If the cigarette relaxs me and makes me feel good i’ll get used to and learn to enjoy the taste and smell.
    I am not able to buy tabacco products legally until sometime this year, but i’m happy because if it werent a process I would probably go buy some now, so it gives me a little protection layer of actually starting. The issue is, if I really didn’t care about what it could do to me if I started the habit, I could find many ways to get my hands on tabacco products, you’d be suprised how many places don’t id and or profit from underage sale.
    That one puff you won’t get really impacted, what you should know is that one puff can actually cause some to get hooked on cigarettes, if you dont feel like you constantly want more than great, you dodged a bullet and should stay away from it at all costs.

8. DreamSky83

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in the process of trying to quit now. I wish I never started. It caused me so many migraines towards the end, where I finally decided to quit. I would smoke when I drank or was out with a evening with my friends and eventually I got addicted. So many years wasted on smoking and buying cigarette's. Can't live in the past though, so I'm giving it up because of my health and I no longer want to anymore. Eventually I know it'll get worse and I don't want to cause anymore damage to my lungs. Maybe my allergies will get better once I quit for good too. It's a nasty habit and I thought I wouldn't get addicted either.