1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I finally came out to my parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SkyAbove, Feb 8, 2019.

1. SkyAbove

SkyAbove Guest

Well, I did it! It's been a month since I've come out to my parents. I'm 27 years old and a lesbian. Why coming out this late, you'd ask probably. There was a time when I thought I would never do this, and that there would be no such circumstances that would allow me to do it. Life was not easy and the process of self accepting was extremely hard to me.
    But I'm here and feeling free. My family is roman catholic, my mother goes to church every Sunday, and guess who was more accepting. Her! My fears and doubts been washed away by her acceptance. No, I'm not saying she was happy, but she was grateful that I was being honest and told her about this very important part of my life. She even thanked me. Who would've thought. Not me, certainly.
    My father on the other hand has been more shaken by all the new information about me, and still hasn't mentioned it since I've come out to him. But he accepted me with a little bit of sorrow in his eyes, but it was still acceptance. I'm hoping that he'll come around with time, and I'm obviously giving that to him.
    I haven't changed, everything has just stayed the same, but this weight that was on my shoulders is gone. And I'm so happy for that. If you read this and haven't come out to your parents yet, I'd like to say that it's true, things eventually will get better. And when you're ready, go for it. Hope you're having a great day :slight_smile:

Arriety, Ram90, johndeere3020 and 9 others like this.
  2. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So happy for you! I am sure it must be a big relief for you. I am so pleased by your mother's reaction. Her love for you obviously outweighes her relious beliefs. You father sounds like he is still in a bit of shock, but he may indeed come around in time. Just be patient. *smile*

SkyAbove likes this.
  3. Razorbacks

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations!!!

SkyAbove likes this.
  4. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratz! My mother is also Roman Catholic and I thought she'd have a problem with it but she was fine too. Yay for people being more accepting.

SkyAbove likes this.
  5. SkyAbove

SkyAbove Guest

Thank you!!! :slight_smile: It's funny because I thought it was going to be the opposite way. I told them separately, first to my father, and I wasn't expecting much, I just had to get it out of my chest, so even his shocked but kind reaction felt really good. I'm sure he'll come around sooner or later. :slight_smile: But my mother was a huge surprise. She was so accepting, we talked for half an hout at least. Her reaction even made me question why I was waiting this much. :grin:

6. SkyAbove

SkyAbove Guest

Thank you!!! :slight_smile:

Razorbacks likes this.
  7. SkyAbove

SkyAbove Guest

Thanks!!! :slight_smile: I'm happy that your mother was accepting too! Yess, yay! :slight_smile:

Denial likes this.
  8. PaulKM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well done, I am so pleased for you. I have yet to come out to my dad, my mum died 2 years ago. He is a very staunch Roman Catholic and I am nervous to be honest. Our relationship has not always been straightforward to be honest and I just don't feel this is something I can do right now but I am always amazed when I hear such great stories like yours, and encouraged!

9. DreamSky83

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so happy with you! :slight_smile:

My father sort of reacted the same way. It took him time to talk to me again. Just do what makes you happy. That's what truly matters in the end.