1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News ‘Traditional masculinity’ deemed ‘harmful’ by American Psychological Association

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by smurf, Jan 11, 2019.

1. smurf

The American Psychological Association has issued its first official warning against toxic masculinity.

The new “Guidelines for the Psychological Practice with Boys and Men,” marks the first-ever report published by the association aimed at helping practitioners care for their male patients “despite social forces that can harm mental health.”

Citing more than 40 years of research, the APA warns against the “masculinity ideology,” which it defines as “a particular constellation of standards that have held sway over large segments of the population, including: anti-femininity, achievement, eschewal of the appearance of weakness, and adventure risk and violence.”

“Traditional masculinity ideology has been shown to limit males’ psychological development, constrain their behavior, result in gender role strain and gender role conflict and negatively influence mental health and physical health,” according to the 36-page report, featured in January’s issue of Monitor on Psychology.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is going to receive so much ignorant backlash as people argue, "Buh! I can raise my son however I like! Men are becoming so weak in today's society! Masculinity is being infringed upon by the progressive movement!"

If only they took the time to understand what the new guidelines actually suggest. :disappointed:

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Having been raised in an environment in which toxic masculinity was the norm, I have to agree.

4. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So america's psychological finally recognized it in 2019 huh. :thinking:

Took a long time but better late than never as they say.
    It will hopefully not turn the con groups to only disregard the facts.

5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They're right. When men are raised to think the only emotion they're allowed to show is anger, and that they should never disclose their feelings to anyone lest they be seen as a pussy, people wonder why domestic violence is so prevalent, and wonder why so many men are killing themselves. There's nothing inherently wrong with masculinity, but when it becomes toxic, that's when it starts ruining peoples' lives. Let men be human, too. Let them express their feelings in other ways than anger, without being thought of as less of a man because of it. There is nothing un-masculine about having and expressing feelings other than anger.

#5 ThatBorussenGuy, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never experienced any toxic masculinity myself, but can see how it effects people badly from friends of mine. Beats me why it took so long to be recognized, there is nothing wrong with being manly but just like with everything else, too much is bad. (and having anything forced on you is bad, too)

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for posting this. I've always bucked the trend and been the person I wanted to be. Masculine enough for my own needs and ideals but maybe not enough for some people. It has caused me problems now and then but I wasn't too motivated to change to suit other people's ideals.

8. smurf

Have you seen the backlash against Gilette? Incredible how many horrible men are out there.

9. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Times, thankfully, are changing. The attitude today regarding masculinity is so much more enlightened now than when I was growing up. The younger generation do not have the same rigid mindset. There may be bumps in the road by some, but the progressive trend will continue.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me tell you, as a person who tried in her youth to perform traditional masculinity, yes, it is harmful. I stopped that when I was like, 15. lol

11. kenn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    whats wrong with masculinity, and/or what is the difference between toxic masculinity? and yes, i am the extremely rare gay republican

12. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *joins the crowd frustrated at traditional/toxic masculinity aka cult of power*

13. smurf

There is nothing wrong with masculinity.

Toxic masculinity is the belief that there is only one way to be a man and that men should stay away from any feminine traits. If you believe that, then you end up with a guy who is pressured to act violently all the time, not able to empathize or care for others, not able to ask for help, and believes strongly in gender roles.

Its the reason why men commit suicide way more often than women, the reason why most mass shooters are men, the reason why men have been horrible fathers for a majority of US history, etc.

We have slowly come to the understanding that we all have masculine and feminine traits. Sadly there is a LARGE portion of the population that still thinks toxic masculinity is a good thing and its "under attack". Hence why people lost their shit over the Gillette commercial.

A bit of an over simplification and it can be a much larger conversation, but in essence toxic masculinity rejects the notion that its okay for guys to have feminine traits.

#13 smurf, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  14. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Smurf for a concise amd clear definition. I agree with most of your arguments. However I hesitate to blame mass shootings solely on toxic masculinity. It is a factor but mental illness and religious extremists are also an important contributing factors.

15. smurf

If you look into any research about the matter, it isn't a mistake that literally the overwhelming majority of mass shooters in the US are men. The discussion is for some reason too taboo to have, but there is sooo much research about the lack of tools we give men (in the US) to deal with anger out there. Its the reason for suicides and lashing out is so common for men.

Mass shootings are complex so solving toxic masculinity won't prevent all of them, but it will help. The culture of guns in the US is a completely different topic, but I fear bringing it up will completely derail the thread so lets just stick with toxic masculinity for now.

Even from this exact article that I posted at the beginning of the thread:

"Another area disproportionately associated with boys and men is violence. Epidemiological research indicates that men of all races are at an increased risk for being either a victim or perpetrator of violence, especially during adolescence. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2010) reported that violence is the second leading cause of death among people between the ages of 15 and 24, and reports from state and national surveys of youth behaviors suggest that young men are more likely than young women to engage in serious aggressive behaviors. For instance, findings from the National Youth Risk Behavior Survey (Eaton et al., 2012) indicated that teenage boys were significantly more likely than teenage girls to report carrying a gun to school. Investigators have also noted that nearly every school shooter in the past 30 years has been an adolescent male (Kalish & Kimmel, 2010; Kaufman, Hall, & Zagura, 2012; Kimmel & Mahler, 2003). For adults, the National Center for Victims of Crime (2013) estimates that 90% of all homicides in the United States are committed by men, and men constitute 77% of all homicide victims. State and local data also indicate that men are far more likely than women to be arrested and charged with intimate partner violence (Hamby, 2014)."

"Psychologists also strive to increase awareness of the influence of gender role socialization practices associated with violence and problem behaviors for boys and men among public health officials, other mental health professionals, and policymakers. Work with public health officials to disseminate information regarding the destructive aspects of rigid notions of masculinity may result in inclusion of gender-sensitive public health initiatives for boys and men. Psychologists also are encouraged to advocate for more financial support for research studies aimed at boys and men with special attention to neglected areas of research, such as examining masculinity with other social identity–based experiences"

This is why this is so important. Tackling toxic masculinity saves the lives of so many men who are in pain and suffering from the horrible teachings of the past. This is not an attack against men like so many people like to think, this is the only way to safe men.

#15 smurf, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  16. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I quite agree that it is important for society to teach and hopefully for fathers to demonstrate to boys and young men that it is perfectly acceptable to show a vulnerable side and not buy into this rigid, macho mindset. When toxic masculinity is combined this this violent gun culture of ours, it is a lethal combination. I have had classmates and acquaintances who have resorted to suicide instead of reaching out for help. It's so sad and much of this is so preventable if men felt they had more options.