1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with shame in therapy

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, Feb 3, 2019.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usual apology for two threads in less than two days. Haha. It’s like old times.

Anyway...I’m three sessions into my current round of therapy and so far it’s been mainly focused on my relationship and taking action. But, I think that it’s not something that I’m going to be able to afford forever, so I’d like to be tackling some of the sexuality stuff too, even though it’s not a priority right now. But the ball is rolling with regards to my relationship, so there’s less to say and it’s just a case of updating and getting input on what to say/do as things progress. I choose an LGBT therapist so she’d understand the full situation and at the moment we’re only dealing with part of it.

She did breifly mention my sexuality in our first session, but it makes me awkward and my insides squirm, so I didn’t so much more than nod along. Anyone else feel like this? She asked me what I want my future to look like and I talked about living alone with my daughter. I would like a relationship someday, but I just can’t seem to voice that outline or talk about. I’m really uncomfortable with saying or talking about anything that implies that I’m sexually attracted to women. Anyone worked on this issue in therapy? Is it just a case of being brave and talking it out? I guess it’ll get easier, right? Would it be acceptable to email prior to our next session or do I have to say it during therapy?

On a related note, I’ve never been particularly comfortable with the idea of people thinking that I’m sexually attracted to men either. For example, when I’ve been accused of having a crush on a particular guy, I’ve always found it really awkward. I got incredibly nervous (years ago) when telling my mum about my first date with my current partner. I don’t know whether this stems from my sexuality or if I’m just ashamed of having a sex drive in general. Can anyone relate or had similar thoughts?

Thanks for any input. :slight_smile:

Landgirl likes this.
  2. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It took a year for me to feel comfortable enough to tell my therapist I was gay, and it was from that point on that progress really started to be made (prior to that we had been talking about family issues and my general sense of dissatisfaction with my life). I had gone to that session with the intention of telling her, and was feeling incredibly anxious, but knew it just had to be done if I was to get anywhere. I felt it was important to tell her face to face, but I did text her before my session to let her know that I would be arriving in a highly agitated state of mind and needed to talk about something I would find very difficult. It was my way of saying I would need her to treat me extra gently, and also committing myself to doing it, so that I wouldn't just get there and then back out.

I remember feeling very embarrassed having my parents aware I was dating. I think it was because I had always kept my feelings very closely guarded, and it felt like by seeing me with my boyfriend I was telling them my feelings via my actions, and it made me feel uncomfortably exposed.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Landgirl Uncomfortably exposed, is exactly what it is.

My therapist knows that I’m gay. It was in my initial email, but she’s not mentioned it during the last two sessions, so so guess it’s on me to bring it up. I feel like I need to discuss it every week, even if it’s just for 5-10 minutes, so I become more comfortable with it. But like you, I feel like I need to message ahead or else I’ll back out on the day.

4. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get feeling shame for having sexual feelings towards anyone, especially towards women. I think it depends on how you were raised. I was taught "lust" was bad and so was homosexuality. So these things were taught as something very shameful that bad people did and it didn't help that my own family never spoke of sex. I was not set up for a healthy relationship with sex or communication about sex. It took time to accept it was okay to feel what I felt. How about you, what were you taught?

Talking about somethings in person is a lot harder than writing it in text especially anonymously. It's more real and evokes all the feelings when spoken in person. When mixed with anxiety it can feel like we could die from saying it aloud. It's not true though and overcoming the anxiety involves doing it to show our brains nothing bad will happen or that we can handle the feelings.

Dose the mean you have to be brave and face your fears and talk? Is that the only way? No. It's okay to take it one step at a time or use other methods.

It is 100% okay to write a note or email to tell your therapist something. A therapist will also read it aloud for you if it helps. It's all a matter of what helps you start a conversation. If it's too hard to talk about it in person, talk about how hard it is and talk about the shame. Your therapist will be able to help you work that out.

I pushed myself and told my first therapist in person after the 3rd session and it was extremely anxiety provoking. Sexuality conversations got easier after that, but at the sane time I jumped into hard conversations I couldn't handle. I personally needed coping skills first. I later made a bisexual friend and we'd talk about our attractions casually over the phone which helped normalize it in speech as well as talking about my feelings on these very forums. Talking about how you feel in casual, fun, playful ways with others helps to take the shame away in my experience. You find out everyone else feels similar to you. When I told my 2nd therapist about relationships issues it was easy to casually mention I was gay. Though talking about sex/attractions isn't always easy, because I still feel shame about certain things.

The more you talk about it, the easier it gets. Shame breeds in darkness, but dies when exposed to light by sharing with others who are non judgemental.

Woodswoman and Really like this.
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the things that make you squirm and super uncomfortable that you most need to focus on. :slight_smile: And I think you'll find that when you do, walking directly into that fear isn't nearly as bad as the story you made up about what it would be like.

So I'd encourage you to take the bull by the horns and directly address it, next session if you are willing to do so. If you don't feel comfortable saying it, send an email before your session, or hand your therapist a note. The sooner you bring this up -- it's a really key part of what you're working on right now -- the better off you will be.

brainwashed likes this.
  6. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is a bold statement that glosses over the limitations of psychotherapy. Just bringing something up in therapy is not a cure, based on my personal experience. So OP go ahead and bring it up if you feel like it but keep in mind that simply doing that may not effect any significant change in your feelings; it may take a lot of time (or never change at all).

7. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I brought it up initially but it's still hard and not something we talk about often. I also am uncomfortable having my sexual feelings for anyone exposed or discussed (my good catholic upbringing, perhaps). I was so afraid to get it all out in therapy, even telling her about my crushes felt so shameful. But her response was "geez, the way you were building that up I thought you were gonna tell me you cheated on your husband!" So if you have an understanding therapist, it's a bigger deal to you than it is to them (of all people, it's literally a therapist's job to be understanding, and most of them are drawn to the field by feelings of empathy and desire to help others). That's not to say your feelings aren't valid, and you shouldn't force yourself to talk about it if you don't feel comfortable doing so. You've been conditioned by society to have shame about this, it will take time to undo. I agree with @Cinnamon Bunny that notes are very helpful to get conversations rolling!

#7 LaneyM, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  8. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    On further reflection, I should've probably said your feelings are real (instead of valid). Valid suggests that it's somehow right to feel shameful, and I was not trying to say that lol

9. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For counselling to work you literally have to let go of everything. I had counselling 15 yrs ago or so. It didn't work because i wasnt honest enough .
    I've recently started counselling again, had 8 sessions, the counselor is incredible but I literally had to empty out everything from me, literally stripped down from the inside out.
    I'm a happy gay man now, I have never been this happy in 43 yrs, the age I am now!!
    The counselor should also help you come to terms with your sexuality and THEN you work on loving yourself, THEN eventually a new partner. I know it's extremely difficult but you, like the rest of us only get one life...mines just started at 43....

10. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well said.

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This really depends quite a bit on the skill of the therapist, and his or her willingness to go in, and stay in, uncomfortable territory.

With the right therapist, bringing up something that is obviously uncomfortable is huge beacon that says "This needs attention"; s/he should follow up and explore it in more detail, especially if the ongoing work has to do with relationships. Sometimes you have to ask the therapist for what you need; people don't realize that they control the therapy, not the therapist, and so can focus on whatever they feel is most important. A therapist who won't do that, or who conspires with the client to avoid the uncomfortable stuff is not doing the client a service.

I also agree with Rade that the shame piece about sexuality can, and usually is, right at the root of everything... you work o that, and a lot of the other stuff comes along with it, so it's a great place to start for most clients, if there aren't more immediately urgent issues (suicidal ideation, for example) that have to be addressed first.

Peterpangirl likes this.
  12. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have the same challenge... I have been out to my therapist for a year and there were many times after I first told her when I hoped she would initiate the conversation to help me work through any challenges but at the same time when she would ask questions it’s so hard for me to be fully honest and articulate what I am feeling... I often would not be able to make eye contact and begin just answering with one word responses or nodding and saying yes.. it’s still difficult for me to talk to her about my sexuality because maybe I feel vulnerable in that she knows all my challenges in general but I have found when I finally met a few people who were also going through similar experiences (being married to men and now realizing they were gay).. talking with them was much easier and I was more comfortable and at ease sharing my feelings. Maybe it was because we have similar experiences and it was those experiences that brought us together. We met in an online support group.

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think this is necessarily something that is strictly confined to therapy either. When I was first coming out, I did the first few comings out via text message or email as I am hopeless face to face. These all went well but however well the text exchange went there was always the next meet up which I found ridiculously uncomfortable. I never knew whether I wanted to bring it up, wanted them to bring it up, not talk about it at all. I didn't want conversation to become solely based around my sexuality but equally I didn't want it to become a thing that people knew but never spoke about.
    When you have something like sexuality that you are only just figuring out or have been suppressing for a while, its going to feel strange and uncomfortable to start talking about it often but the only way to change that is to push yourself to do it. It will get easier.

14. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interestingly enough, my therapist recently revealed to me that she has worked with other people in the same position as me - coming out later in life. Somehow that helped me relax a lot more about the topic. That I'm not this oddity of a case that she didn't know what to do with. So I take her silence on the topic as more her waiting for me to talk about it when I'm ready.

Elle993 likes this.
  15. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for your replies. :slight_smile:

I’m going to try my very best to mention it next session!

I know that I have another thread running about the domestic abuse stuff, but I guess if I’m gay then it doesn’t matter how bad it is, because I need out anyway, right?

I feel like the DA stuff is (too me, anyway) less significant than my sexuality. Now it’s been horrible, but questioning and being in a straight relationship has been suffocating, made me feel miserable, hopeless, etc., so when I look back it feels like the bigger aspect. I won’t think about the DA when this is all over, but my sexuality will still be there.

But, I feel that I should be prioritising the DA stuff, and putting my sexuality on the back burner, or not? I guess the result is the same.

16. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can you tackle both at the same time? I'm not sure what kind of psychotherapy you're receiving (and I don't know much about DA), but most approaches can be adapted to a variety of needs (anxiety, depression, trauma; which can all be elements of being closeted, incidentally). My therapist has been using Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) with a whole variety of incidents across my lifespan-some related to my sexuality, some not. Perhaps you could express to your therapist that the sexuality aspect is also important, even if it isn't as obvious an issue as the DA?

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  17. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. The end result is the same. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’ll take much to convince her the sexuality aspect is just as important. She’s always placed more emphasis on it than I thought it warranted. Haha.

18. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, from the perspective of the root cause of the discomfort, both domestic abuse and the gay issue stem from a similar place: issues with shame and worthiness.

The DA generally has its roots, at some level, in not feeling worthy and thus being attracted to, or attracting, someone who is violent, and staying in the relationship after violence occurs.

The issue with sexuality and difficulty with talking about it, also stems from a lack of worthiness ("People will judge me or think of me as "less than" if I tell them").

And both of the worthiness issues ultimately stem from early childhood family-of-origin and attachment issues. So it's quite possible, and desirable, to discuss the root cause... assuming the therapist you're seeing has a theoretical orientation compatible with those concepts. A lot of therapists don't really 'get' how important the attachment/childhood piece is, and how foundational it is to worthiness. But once one does... it makes a whole lot of other pieces make a whole lot of sense, and provides a framework for effective treatment for the client.

Elle993 and LostInDaydreams like this.
  19. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like your therapy is already starting to work :wink:

Your sexuality is a big part of you. Getting in touch with that sexuality, what you REALLY like, not just what you ended up with or settled on or was expected to do, takes a huge amount of courage. What kind of person you're attracted to, what turns you on, what you want to do to someone or have done to you - all of that stuff is kind of trial and error. The person/people and scenarios an inexperienced mind produces are often very different in real life. Sometimes people find what satisfies them right away with somebody, sometimes ya gotta date a few fish lol. And sometimes people's interests just shift over time and they become incompatible in a formerly happy partnership. Anyway, it IS hard to talk about being 'queer' (insert label lol). Especially when you aren't certain what you like! For me the hardest part was getting past the sex itself. When coming out to family in particular, it was like ew, I don't want my parents or worse, my grandparents, thinking about what I like in the bedroom! And really I don't want to talk about my sexual life with anyone but my partner and maybe a couple of friends. But after a time, my paranoia about the sexual part of my sexuality faded. Being gay is about way more than sex! It's about love, relationships, culture, gender, gender roles, being 'different,' etc... ♡

Anyway, if this resonates with you maybe you could briefly mention to the therapist that you aren't comfortable talking about sex in particular right now. You could ease into the topic by focusing on other aspects of your life that you envision changing. Perhaps once you get talking it may be easier to introduce the idea of a woman at your side, such as with co-parenting or concerts/events you want to go to, etc

Drizzle, LaneyM, Peterpangirl and 3 others like this.
  20. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So...I sort of mentioned it, without mentioning it. She asked me a lot of questions about things related to my relationship, including about how much I was talking to other people, to which I said I felt I still wasn’t being honest, that I’d swapped one pretence for another, etc. and we talked a bit, and then she switched topic. A bit later, I said I felt suffocated, but that I’d just have to go through the motions and prioritise relationship stuff, which she agreed with, so that was that.

I didn’t want to message as I know she’s not keen on too much communication between sessions. And now I’m glad I didn’t.

I feel like every week is just me explaining what’s happened, what I’m going to next, and a bit about how I feel about it...I don’t know...I was just expecting it to be different.

LaneyM likes this.